Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

food plot questions/options

Deaner

I might have posted this a while ago I can't remember.
My wife and I bought a small chunk of land last spring north of Decorah, IA. It is about 7 acres. Got a hellashious deal on it!!!
We have a goal to move back home in 3 (but more then likely 5) years and build on it.
This spring we are seriosly thinking about building a driveway into it (actually there is a logging road already there from being logged out 5 years ago)but we are going to have culvert issues and plus we are going to grub out the top of the little shelf where the house is going to eventualy be. After tagging the trees I want saved and the grubbing is done there will be about an acre to an acre and a half of land grubbed out.
After grubbing I am going to have to seed it down with something. I want to seed down the future building site and the driveway. Grass would be too high maintenance with having to mow all the time. We don't go home for about 6 weeks between trips.

OK here are my questions:
1. What kind/brand of food plot do I plant? I have been looking a little bit on the Bio-Logic website to see about planting some of that. What would the best mix for me? What is the price of this stuff does anyone know?
2. Is there anything that I can plant that will be really low maintenance-like planting it and being done. No replanting or overseeding every year or few years.
3. Is there any cheaper brand or any other kind of company/mixture anyone else would recomend that would work in my zone (NE Iowa)?
4. I am primarily wanting to feed deer but is there anything else out there that would work for deer AND turkey?
5. Do I need to get my soil tested? I was on the Biologic website and they were saying I should get my soil tested first to see about needing lime? I suppose if I am going to spend the money on seed that would be a good thing to get done?
6. If we do decide to build on the site in 3-5 years am I going to be wasting my money tearing the food plot up to build the house/yard? Or is this stuff going to be ok to use for yard cover or be a problem to have to deal with if I do decide to have grass around the house?
7. Are there any other issues or things I need to consider when shopping and/or planting?
8. It would be nice to put a little camper/little cabin up there and stay in it on the weekends we go home. Would that hurt the food plot?

I am going to be hitting the Food Plot booths pretty hard at the Classic in a couple weeks.
But would appreciate any feedback on Pros and Cons or other idea's before those guys start bragging up all they're stuff saying it is better then the competition.
THANK YOU, Deernut

Lots of topics-
You don't need a soil test but it would be the cheapest part of this whole project and save you money in the long run. Likely you will need lime and at least some N, P, or K to grow a good plot (no N if you go with a legume) but the soil test will guide you on that. If you are going to have enough sun and want something that will attract deer and turkeys you can't go wrong with clover. You may want to figure out a way to get it mowed 1-2 times a year though. Clover will also be putting N in the soil so someday when you decide to plant something like a lawn you won't have to add that.

deernut, i have used the mossy the bio-logic no-till/no-plow and it has worked great, although you do have to help it out a little at first, but like i said it works great for low maintenance!

watch out though, bees like that stuff too!!!

I've been thinking of frost seeding some clover in a few spots, but read about innoculating(sp?) seed beforehand. The Coop up here sells seed that is not innoculated...is this a must? If so, how do you do it?

I think testing the soil would be a good idea. If I'm going to be spending the money it's best to do as much as I can for it.
As far as just plain Clover goes. I do have eccess to a mower. That probably would be a lot cheaper wouldn't it? THANKS for the imput!

Deernut- Sounds like a nice place to kick back and call home. Think about your timing too, if you can get the dozer work done in the spring, you would be able to get a nice nurse/cover crop on it in the fall and then frost seed the following February or so. Good Luck. Pharmer

Locust,
Legume (clover) seed has to be inoculated in order for the plant roots to form nodules. This is caused by a bacteria living in the soil. The nodules are what the plant uses to "make" it's own nitrogen. If no bacteria is present, the plant will not be very productive. Inoculant is the bacteria itself that can be applied to the seed at planting. Beans, peas, clovers all have a certain inoculant that works best. Even white and red clovers may need different inoculant. Where you buy your seed should have a list available for you to see which one to buy.
Innoculants do expire so check the expiration dates, also I would not buy it if it has been exposed to sunlight. The product should come from a dark area, closed box, or preferably a refrigerator because inoculants are live rhibozomes. Sometimes the feed and seed store dealers are not very knowledgeable about this. The package of inoculant will tell you what types of clover it will work with. Inoculation also ensures that maximum Nitrogen is "banked" for the next crop of corn, wheat, brasicas, etc.

The biggest trick to getting maximum results from your clover is that your soils pH must be correct, usually around 5.5-6.5 or even higher.

I have even heard a strange rumor the Coca-Cola can be used as an innoculant? Somebody else might be able to elaborate on that.

All in all inoculant is very cheap insurance and easy to do ... but not required for a clover plot to be healthy and lush. For $6-$8 you can inoculate enough clover seed for 5 acres, so go for it if you can. If it is too much hassle ... don't sweat it, it is not a big deal.

Hope this helps,

BT

BT- I've heard of oldtimers using a Coke to mix with the seed and innoculant to help if "stick" to the seed. Sometimes they will do this when mixing a very small seed with sand to increase the volume of mix so it can be spread with a big 3 point spreader.

Big Timber, Oh my god that sounds hard! Boy you must really know your clover! My dad has farmed for a number of years he would probably know what you are talking about...Have you heard anything good or bad about Bio-Logic?

Top Bottom