Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Forest Reserve Legislation

You mean this one? Tree Tax

The 'Bonker

I hit the post button too quick. Note that it is "HSB" which is a House Study Bill so somwhere in some dark little cubie in some bland state office building somebody with a calculator is trying to figure out how much money the state will gain or lose on this idea. Once that is done it will be presented to the House and sent to commitee and then sent back to the House and then voted on. I also belive since it is a money bill it is immune from last weeks funnel. And since it is originating from a committee it may not need to gothrough the committee process but just be presented and voted on. I don't know for sure on that one.

if i'm leasing land off a landowner that has land in the forest reserve, is that legal? i had heard that if you have land in the forest reserve, it was illegal to make any money off it.

Yeah, you can't lease land off someone who has FR on timber.

I think it's crazy they are trying to get more money here. The program has done a lot of good for the 6% (debateable 4-7%) of the forest in the state (and getting people to put more area in trees) - we have such little timber already- not like we're the great NORTH: Canada, Wisconsin, Michigan where there's all sorts of timber.

Iowa needs all the help it can get with forests here in Iowa and OBVIOUSLY the only reason they'd do away with this is so they can TAX YOU MORE. I pay enough in taxes (discussion for another time) and this would come at the expense of Iowa forests.

You should read your IBA legislative updates

HSB 273, FOREST PRESERVE EXEMPTION. Ends the forest preserve property tax exemption but continues the exemption for fruit trees. HWM subcom-Hagenow, Bell, Reasoner. The subcommittee chair is not inclined to move the bill.

A lot of folks here in southern Iowa have been complaining about this for some time...they are sure that they are paying higher taxes due to so many people buying land for hunting and putting it in the FR.

In fact many of the people complaining have their own timber enrolled.

I found that they just increased the taxes on the farmable portion to offset the decrease in the timbered part.

During these hard times lawmakers are going to look at every possible avenue to generate more income without considering the long term ramifications.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

soooooo.......if i know someone that is leasing hunting land that is in the forest reserve, what do i do?

Depends, not sure what you mean....
If it's someone you LIKE, you might make them aware of the law.
If it's someone you DON'T LIKE, you can contact the accessor's office.

You can't graze reserve timber and I think if logged it has to maintain the set trees/acre but I wasn't aware you can't lease it... Don't remember that part.

Ill bet you could lease some not FR ground and get to hunt the FR ground for free.
If we loose the FR program, the Dozers are going to be out in force.

Top Bottom