Forrest reserve property tax exemption

Discussion in 'Legislative Forum' started by Fishbonker, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Had good conversations with the sponsor of this bill and a member of the subcommittee that recommended amendment and passage of the bill to the full Natural Resources and Environment Committee. Their intention is not to do away with the program but cut out the abuse of the program. One of the abuses is developers who buy a tract of wooded land near a city, enroll it in the program and then don't pay taxes on the land as they sell off large lots to build homes on. I'm not clear then if the benefits of the program continue on with the new owner who has built in the reserve or not.

They understand this is a daunting task and will be seeking input on how to solve these issues. Senator Sinclair has been trying to get some sort of reform on this for years and was tired of the issue going nowhere so she 'dropped a bomb" to get attention for this issue. I think it worked.

Sligh1 and Hardwood11 like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. arm

arm Leg

Thanks for posting that detail. Still can't believe Daver chooses to pay the most taxes he can but interesting nonetheless

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sligh1 likes this.
  4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I feel like I am receiving local law enforcement, road maintenance and such that these taxes go for and as such, I feel it is my duty to pay for them. There is a cost for these services and I feel like everyone should pay an equitable share.

5. arm

arm Leg

It was a rhetorical comment from me, no worries :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Daver likes this.
  6. BigfootWillow.com

BigfootWillow.com Tree Climber

I don't really know what is going on with the republicans in this state, thought they suppose to be for less taxes, also noticed this year some of my online purchases took a 7% increase because of our republican governor.