Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fran's temper

NWBuck

PMA Member
...costs us again :mad:

I know, I know...missed free throws, Izzo should've had at least 1 T as well, etc, etc...I get it. I'm a die hard Hawkeye fan and love the looks of our team, but I'm sorry, watching this guy coach a basketball game is waaaaaaay too much like watching Pelini coach a football game. Sorry for the off topic...just had to vent.

NWBuck

Last edited:
Kind of think the same thing at times. Man my head hurt after that game. Granted a T was pretty warranted at that time. Not sure how everybody with eyes on that game could see that traveling, including my 5 yr old son who was yelling travel, but 3 officials miss it. now my head hurts again.

The "T" didn't hurt the team all that much, two points I believe. The team responded with a nice run after it happened. There was a lot of other moments of the game that played an outcome as well.

The no call traveling that led to the "T"

The and one that MSU got when he was grabbed, took two steps then shot.

Basabe's point blank put back attempt that he just whiffed on at end of game

Marbles near point blank shot at end of game that didn't go in.

Iowa's inability to recognize aaron white is pretty good around the basket

Granted, the T didn't help in the scoring as MSU got two points out of it, but it is a game of 40 minutes. When you don't make a basket over 13 minute stretch at the end of a game and your still in it, it could have been worse.

I'm as die hard a Hawkeye fan as the next...after it was all over, looking back at the T and the 2 points they got from it does suck. HOWEVER, we made a nice run right after the T to go up 6-7 points (can't remember for sure) but it was a great little pick me up. As for Free throws go, we shot 43 free throws to their 20. We shot 70% from the line!!! That isn't bad...they shot 55% from the line. We shot 37% from the field at HOME which killed us. Got out-rebounded in the second half which didn't help either. Free throws have been pretty bad all year but as a whole, 70% isn't terrible. Not saying great but could be worse! I'm still trying to figure out how we lost being that we made almost 3x as many free throws as they did. I was absolutely fuming last night after the game as I couldn't believe we shit the bed AGAIN for the 4th time this year. Making me sick. I've told my old man from the beginning of the season that we need Gesell to play better. He is not the best player on our team by any means but he is by far the most important. You look at the games we have lost...who played terrible? Gesell. 1-8 from the field last night and 4-6 from the line and wait for it....wait for it....ZERO assists. Come March...the teams that go far into the tournament are because of great guard play. And right now, we need our point guard to step up and play a little bit better.

As far as Fran goes...I didn't mind last night but the double T and ejection a couple weeks ago was terrible and I didn't like that at all either. I think he is a far cry from Bo becuase after the fact of the double T and ejection, he apologized. He knew he screwed up and admitted it. He apologized to the team, fans and school. When has Bo ever apologized for acting like a 3 year old?? I can't remember.

Rant over. Happy hump day

Why was Gesell given the last shot after a tough night?

Guessing they were thinking he could draw a foul, but he'd have probably missed the free throws anyway :confused: I'm not a Fran hater, but do think he has a temper issue that makes him difficult to watch at times. He has done a lot for the team to be sure. Normally a T and the 2 points that go with it aren't a big deal, but when the game is tied after regulation you sure have a hard time not looking back on them...

NWBuck

I watched most of the game last night too and my feeling is that Iowa lost it on the free throw line. Iowa is MUCH improved from where things were a few years ago and a pretty darn good team at this point. BUT, they don't really seem to have a clutch ace that can win the tough, close games at the end.

They have some pretty major dry spells at times on the scoring front. But I thought they played really good defense late in the game too. I think we had an 11 minute spell with no FG's, yikes, in the 2nd half, but we still were tied at the end of the game, so the D had to be fairly good for that to happen.

I like Fran as a coach, I think he was out of line at Wisky a couple of weeks ago, but not so much last night. I am a little off I admit, but I think every coach should get a T every so often. :D If the Hawks hit a shot or made a FT they win last night.

I watched most of the game last night too and my feeling is that Iowa lost it on the free throw line. Iowa is MUCH improved from where things were a few years ago and a pretty darn good team at this point. BUT, they don't really seem to have a clutch ace that can win the tough, close games at the end.

They have some pretty major dry spells at times on the scoring front. But I thought they played really good defense late in the game too. I think we had an 11 minute spell with no FG's, yikes, in the 2nd half, but we still were tied at the end of the game, so the D had to be fairly good for that to happen.

I like Fran as a coach, I think he was out of line at Wisky a couple of weeks ago, but not so much last night. I am a little off I admit, but I think every coach should get a T every so often. :D If the Hawks hit a shot or made a FT they win last night.

70% as a team isn't bad...missing free throws down the stretch always hurt a little more than the ones earlier in the game tho. Shooting 37% from the field is absolutely terrible. That is where I think we lost it. MSU shot 11 more times from the field also which is never a good stat either. Altough we did shoot 43 free throws which is a TON. Need to shoot the ball better period.

I love the temper myself. I feel like it shows his desire to the players and also the fans. He's a hell of a coach and the refs deserved an ear full on several accounts. They missed some clutch free throws and chip shots. Not scoring a basket for 12 minutes killed them. How about Frans karate kick of that folder off that table. That was awesome. He stole a page from ol Bobby Knights playbook.

He had good reason last night to get that T, those refs totally bombed 3-4 obvious calls where MSU scored off of shoulda been turnovers, at least 7 points..

They need to shoot free throws in practice till their arms fall off and they can do it blindfolded. No reason you can't make those..

Giselle was fouled on that last second shot in OT, should of went to the line, but he probably woulda missed them anyways..

I'm not much of a basketball fan, although I did listen most of the game on wmt last night. I just think it's ironic that so many people are down on Fran for being too emotional and a lot of the same people are down on Ferentz for not showing enough emotion. I think Fran is a good coach and he has done a great job so far getting the program going in the right direction. They just need to figure out how to finish games strong.

Here's the thing guys. It's basketball. We played a very difficult opponent that has established itself consistently as one of the top programs in the country. We are a hell of a team with a outstanding coach who loves his players and the University of Iowa and are currently finding our identity. People forget in the not so distant past when we had 5,500 people Carver and a product that was not good. I sat there last night in the arena and was able to enjoy the atmosphere again. Carver is once again an outstanding venue with a great team on the floor and on the bench. It sucks not to win but I'll tell you this, no one wanted to win worse than the coaches and players. They had an off night. It happens. Go Hawks!

I agree with Limb, it's nice to see the Hawks putting up a solid effort. The 15 minute field goal drought was the killer, not bad calls or Fran.

exactly, no go to guy and our rebounding is terrible. I purposely watched when our guys shot a 3, 3 guys would be on the outside just standing there watching when they should be charging the basket. hell if the refs were in my basement lastnight i would of got kicked out.

our rebounding is terrible. I purposely watched when our guys shot a 3, 3 guys would be on the outside just standing there watching when they should be charging the basket.

TJ,
I'm not pickin on ya but we are 2nd in the B1G in rebounding margin.

I think my dislike of the temper tantrums stems from a 25+ year coaching career. Different sport, but the application is the same. Bad calls, missed free throws, scoring droughts, etc...they're all part of the game that really can't be controlled consistently. What CAN be controlled consistently is the coach's demeanor. They are the adult in charge of a bunch of youngsters, and they should be able to demonstrate a stable personality. Precisely what I appreciate so much about Kirk Ferentz. Oh sure, all coaches have occasion to dispute a call and show some emotion...that too is part of the game. But it should be the exception, not the rule. Again, I'm not piling on Fran...he's done great things for the program, no doubt. But his rants are quickly becoming the rule, not the exception, and he is already getting a reputation for it. And I'm sorry, the karate kick of the scorers table could have gotten him the gate, and maybe should have.

History would teach us that the coaching careers of perpetual hot-heads often do not end well. Woody Hayes and Bob Knight just a couple of easy-to-remember examples. McCafrey still has time to get it changed, and maybe if he watches the TV replays he would have the motivation to do so. Just my 2 cents...

NWBuck

Top Bottom