Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Friday Carnage

Carnage time Sunday Style

ForumRunner_20160814_115715.jpg

The plan was to till, spread fertilizer, till and cultipac, spread seed, cultipac and be done.

The plan was working until I was going to spread fertilizer. I parked the tractor in the driveway to switch to the Rhino. My wife had been windrowing yesterday’s lawn clippings. I looked up and saw her walking across the lawn; the mower was dead in the yard. She said the mower had started making a squealing sound and she could smell and see smoke. Uh oh, squealing and smoke is never a good sign.

We walked back out to the mower. I started it up, no squealing, no smoke. Moved it forward, no problems, engaged the deck, no problem, moved ahead a few more feet then the squealing started and the smoke rolled. The acrid smell of a burning belt filled my nose. I disengaged the deck, squealing continues, smoke still rolling. Damn, I’m thinking it is the main drive belt.

We pulled it back up to the garage and I started to sort out the issue. Pulled off the deck, those belts all looked good so I scooted underneath. I could immediately see chunks missing out of the main drive belt. Problem diagnosed, but do I wanna fix it or should I take it to the dealer? If I decide to let the dealer fix it do I take it in or do they come and get it?

KIMG0001_zpsc1e9w8vb.jpg

That brings me to last Sunday’s carnage:

KIMG1534_zpstvpnpvtd.jpg

KIMG1540_zpsldc3xuxf.jpg

I’d have to change tires on the trailer before I can drag the mower to the dealer.

Back to the food plot, I’ll decide on fixing the mower later.

I spread 50 pounds of 3-24-24 (or something like that) and 200 pounds of urea on my 3/8ths of an acre plot 10 bucks for 50 pounds so why not?). Then I hooked the cultipacker behind the tiller to turn the fertilizer under and pack it down. The ground was still so wet that the dirt was sticking to the cultipacker wheels. We got 6 or so inches of rain Thursday night so you could say I was mudding it in. I didn’t have any weekends free until Labor Day so it was today or never. I shoulda taken a pic of the mud all balled up on the packer wheels.

When that was done I got the 3 pound sack of turnip seed and filled my hand held spreader. I set the opening at “1” and started to run. Last year I was running through powder. That was tough, but this year the mud was caking on my boots. I know 3 pounds is a lot of seed for that small of a plot but there is no way I could have spread any less.

Now I had to decide if I wanted to pack it again or hope for a timely rain to set the seeds. I couldn’t see packing it again and having all the seed balled up on the packer. So I opted for the rain option.

As I was putting stuff away it was clouding up. I took my time because if I stayed outside and tried to get more done it was sure to rain. I decided to change the tires on the trailer and just as I finished I felt a couple of rain drops.

Then this:

Rain_zpstw6swedd.jpg

A timelier rain I have never had and I’m sure if I had decided to skip fixing the trailer it would never have rained.

If this year is a repeat of last year I’ll have turnips up by Friday.

Love the pic in the rain. Your food plotting adventures sound like mine...one thing works and the next thing breaks...but you keep forging ahead. Good work!

Top Bottom