Friends with benefits

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by Fishbonker, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

A friend dropped this off yesterday:

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG

4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG

MMmmmmmm, kabanosy. Texture is unbelievable, flavor is unbeatable and the duct tape was unbreakable.

It ain't gonna last till the FBO.

Sligh1, JNRBRONC and cybball like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

Glad you like Hank’s sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

I'm glad you tried Hank's sausage before I did.:p

5. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 Active Member

Is that Hank Shaw's recipe? Any modifications to it?

6. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

I have a friend out in NY who does a lot of butchering, making sausage and salami. He HIGHLY recommended Hank Shaw's recipe. I commented that I thought it should have some garlic in it. He said it does. I replied not the Hank Shaw Kabanosy recipe on-line. He texted Hank who replied that the web version was wrong. My friend snapped a pic of the page in Hank's cookbook and texted it to me. From that image, Hank recommends 4 minced cloves of garlic for a batch of 2.5 lbs of meat that also has 10 ounces fat added. We had picked up whole pork loins from Costco for $1.49/lb. We trimmed all the sinew and fat off them, then added fat we got off one of our Berkshire pigs that was butchered. Other than that, followed Hank's recipe that is posted on-line. We used hog gut casings, might have been more like a slim jim if we went with sheep casings, but that would have been 4 miles long. Quicker and easier to use the bigger casing and it shrunk down when curing/drying.

Well, we can never do anything in moderation, so we made up 20 pounds, LOL. We cleaned up the grinder/stuffer and fried up what didn't make the casing. WOW was it SALTY! We were worried that we just made up a huge batch the we probably couldn't feed to the dog. We smoked the long links at low heat for around 4 hours to get a good smoke coating, then hung them to cure in our attached garage. That was the end of March, they dripped and dried the whole time, probably lost half the weight. Last week, we cut up the last two loops (beside the one we gifted Bonker) for vacuum sealing to go in the fridge.

7. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 Active Member

I've said a couple of times..... We've never tried a Hank Shaw recipe that we did not really like.
    My wife would NOT eat heart. But Hank has a Jaegersnitzle recipe and she tried that, and really liked it.