Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Funnel Fencing Ideas?

corygnc

I was at a friends farm this weekend and was amazed! He built thousands of dollars of fencing (8ft high woven wire) in big timber to funnel the deer to certain "kill" locations.

Instead of using high dollar woven wire, do you guys/gals think 4 ft. tall silt fence (it's a black fence you see on the sides of roads to control erosion) would work.

My theory was that a 4 ft hight, they couldn't see through it and it would be tall enough where they couln't see over it so they wouldn't jump it cause they don't know what's on the other side? I've read where when deer aren't pressured they don't like to jump over things they can't see through.

Any thoughts?

I love the idea of funneling deer to a certain stand locations. How many of us have thought we had the perfect stand site and the big bucks didn't cross where we wanted them to?

Not to be a $$$, but what happened to just plain old hunting. It seems like hunters today are lazy and dont want to put the time in to kill a nice deer. They just want a big one and they will try anything to get one.

Sounds like a case of "more money than brains!" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sounds like a case of "more money than brains!" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

</div></div>

I would throw a big cup of laziness into that recipe as well.

Why build when you alreay have natural funnels? If older bucks dont have more than one escape route out of an area, they will just move out. If your friend wanted it easy, he should have just fenced in his whole area.

If you hunt an area long enough you see the natural funnels and when they change over time you will see the change and can change stand locations. Would the hunt be half as fun without the challenge...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I would throw a big cup of laziness into that recipe as well. </div></div>

I guess I am wondering your guys thoughts on this.

Up in the hills in N.E. Iowa there are certain areas of the drainage areas that they usually cross on the hill sides.
Of course we all know that the big boys will cross just about anywhere.
To put the odds in my favor I was going to clean up the area a little and put a lot of the brush in these other areas to funnel them more to me.
Is this classified as being lazy and brainless also??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saskguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brush....8 ft fence, ....not the same. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this classified as being lazy and brainless also?? </div></div>

Tony...that is called "Habitat Enhancement" and it is a lot of work.

Major difference from pouring money into a 8 foot deer proof fence, totally altering natural deer movement.

I move dead trees and brush anytime I can to make a subtle funnel. 8' fencing is in a different ball park IMO. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this classified as being lazy and brainless also?? </div></div>

Tony...that is called "Habitat Enhancement" and it is a lot of work.

Major difference from pouring money into a 8 foot deer proof fence, totally altering natural deer movement.

</div></div>

Ghost,
10/4.
I missed while reading it the 8 foot wire fence. Only read the 4 ft. fence and was wondering thoughts on other funneling ideas.
Didn't have time this year to do it anyway because of the back surgery.
Good luck to your son tomorrow. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I once saw a small lush hay field with big round bales placed around the whole perimeter.Had two openings that just happened to have a perfect trees 20yds away for the predominate fall wind. I'm sure it was just a coincidence. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once saw a small lush hay field with big round bales placed around the whole perimeter.Had two openings that just happened to have a perfect trees 20yds away for the predominate fall wind. I'm sure it was just a coincidence. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif I've heard about that!

I imagine the wind would reck havic with silt fencing. It also would ruin the athesetics for me...sitting in the timber looking at this maze of black netting.

Not for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I once saw a small lush hay field with big round bales placed around the whole perimeter.Had two openings that just happened to have a perfect trees 20yds away for the predominate fall wind. I'm sure it was just a coincidence. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

With the price of hay, that would be almost as expensive as fence. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

mole

When I was down in Washinton county hunting this fall I saw the neighbor had used that bright orange fencing 8' and the creek to funnel them.

In another spot, I sat and watched for 5 minutes as a bunch of does jumped a normal farm fence, all with ease, except the yearling doe. It took her a long time to jump it.

We sold 1700lb net wrapped bales this winter for $90 a bale. But I've heard of guys getting $150-200 per bale. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

It was a great winter to sale hay, if you could keep the deer off the bales. I have pics of the damage done to some of our bales this year (server at work won't let me post them). I have one of my 5 year old son standing inside the bale.
Lowered the price some, but was great for finding sheds. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom