Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gave Cali Boy A Dirt Nap

Missouri:
10/18 Last Thursday 10/18, I had a SE wind and was going to hunt this very tree.. I opted not to hunt... rather check a few trail cameras and pick up kiddo early. I was sitting on my parents couch when my cell cam went off thats in front of this stand. Cali boy was waltzing by at 20 minutes till 6 :(
10/24 I left the office at 4 and rushed to get into a tree that I could hunt for a SE wind. As I was pulling up my bow a dink was headed my way feeding. I got my bow up and he ended up getting to base of my tree and looked up, he stared me down for couple minutes and fed on (downwind). Last Thursday 10/18, I had a SE wind and was going to hunt this very tree.. I opted not to hunt... rather check a few trail cameras and pick up kiddo early. I was sitting on my parents couch when my cell cam went off thats in front of this stand.
Shortly after the stare-down frozen ice sculpture session, I spotted a doe feeding my way headed to the creek squeeze that pinched all the deer down to within 25 yards of my tree. Up close and personal but I'm a top pin kinda guy.
3-4 more does trickled my direction and about that time I heard the first grunt. Another doe rushed in from the NE followed by 2-3 more and then more grunting and I caught glimpses of a rack. I got some glass on him and confirmed he was Cali Boy. I stayed seated in my Ol Man Climber to where I could shoot to my left where the deer approached.
Two of the does made it across the ditch and I lost sight of the buck, though I could hear him grunting every so often, I knew he was in bowrange, just couldn't see him. By this time 3-4 does had made it in front of me and starting to walk into my wind. I wasn't looking at them, but I don't think any of them ever got nervous or showed signs of busting.
Finally the 3-4 other does began to make their way through my squeeze and Cali Boy followed. I stopped him in front of my 24 yard tree and shot him slightly quartering-to.
He instantly dropped in his tracks as I hit him high shoulder and must have caught the spine where it dips. I drilled two more arrows in him from the tree but I had a less than ideal angle. I felt bad turning him into a pin cushion but I made a final shot after I climbed out of the tree.
To say that I am blessed is an understatement. I had a buddy who is an accomplished outdoor writer/photographer (Wildfowl DU) come snap pictures for me this morning. If anyone in NCMO wants QUALITY trophy pictures taken, pm me and I can get you into contact with him. I had my wife and 13 month old join for the pictures. My wife makes lots of sacrifices in order for me to spend time in the woods. I couldn't have had the success that Ive been blessed with the last two years without her love, sacrifice and support. Plus they make me and the deer look better.
IMG_4079.JPG
Quest.jpg 1.jpg View attachment 116988 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg View attachment 117002

Last edited:
Glad to see the hard work pay off for you. And don't feel bad about shooting that deer as many times as it takes to make sure he doesn't get up and run away. Those old bucks are tuff as nails.

QUALITY pics is right..........those are most excellent.
Pretty sure I wouldn't have any qualms about putting another arrow in a buck like that. Better than reading a post about tracking a blood trail for miles with a less than ideal outcome.

Congrats !

Top Bottom