Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ghillie suit stories?

River1

Anyone here regularly use ghillies to bowhunt deer? Would like to here stories if ya have one. Old bucks?

Re: Ghillie suite stories?

Windwalker wears one when hunting from the ground. I know he has had good success with wearing one. Shoot him a pm if you want.

A friend of mine was wearing one and walked through a bunch of stick tights. After trying to extract them for a couple hours and getting nowhere, he burned the whole suit and went back to regular camo. I've always liked the look of them for ground hunting but never got one after hearing him swear for about a minute straight. Probably not as much an issue in a lot of places though.

lol, oh the ol' ghillie suit. Right when the first "3D" camo suits came out I saw them and thought, "I could make one of those" Which is usually my first thought whenever I see a gimmick for anything hunting related. So I rounded up a bunch of my old camo t shirts and pants and other stuff that didn't fit. I got a heavier denim carhart button up shirt and stole a detachable hood off of an old army issue jacket.

Sewed the hood to the carhart shirt then took all the old camo shirts and hacked 'em up with some scissors. I found that if I crumpled up the material then cut out a circle, when the circle uncrumpled it had jagged edges like a leaf. Then I took the whole pile over to Grandma's where I used my sewing skills, finely honed in 7th and 8th grade Home Ec. class. After a couple of hours sewing the camo leaves to the shirt I had my very own ghillie suit jacket.

I had an encounter with a 1 1/2 buck on the ground walking into my stand. He walked strait at me unaware of my presence. He finally stopped at no more than 5 yards and we had a 3 minute stare down before he finally decided I wasn't a bush and he vacated the scene.

To this day I have never worn a warmer jacket either than that homemade ghillie suit. Then I was hooked so I ordered the ghillie suit kit where you tie the jute strings to the fish net deal. Well I realized when I got it that it required me tying around 6000 knots... and so far I've only had the gumption to get about 2500 done.... and it's been about 4 years since I bought it.

I would like to try one, especially for turkey hunting. I've heard some stories of people getting the suit caught in the cams of their bow though while drawing back like in a seated position.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Heart Surgeon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well I realized when I got it that it required me tying around 6000 knots... and so far I've only had the gumption to get about 2500 done.... and it's been about 4 years since I bought it.</div></div>

hahahaha been on deals like that before myself. That is funny.

Top Bottom