Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Give me your opinion on his age

Rackaddict

Life Member
Understanding this is in Southwest Missouri, where we have no crops on this farm and no food plots. It's an all "natural" warm season grass fields and forest setting. That being said, our deer don't typically get the body mass that Iowa deer do. I'm not concerned about his antler score but rather his age. This photo was taken in mid July so yes he will have picked up some antler size but the body will be the same.

He's got a decent body size for a buck here with a pot belly but no swayback, which again, is a bit different here. The face looks a bit slender too. It always seems easier to judge deer after they build up for the rut.

I KNOW he's at least 3.5 and I think he's possibly 4.5 years old.

What do you think?

picture.php

Has to be 4.5 with a gut like that..... shoot him, cut him in half and count the rings.... :D:D:D

Well we all seem to be in agreement that 4.5 years is it. We've been holding off on shooting bucks for the last 3 years. One last season was marked for a hit and he was harvested by a neighbor who was the unwitting beneficiary of our management practices but, on the bright side, he's now more on board with the idea of management as well as others in the area who are involved in a new Coop program for deer management that MDC is sponsoring.

I guess now, if the coop considers him a mature target, I'll cross my fingers and hope I'm the trigger man.

Thanks for the opinions! You're all a good bunch.

He could be an exceptional 3.5 year old……..my guess is 4.5 years though?
Heck of a nice deer!
Poke a hole in him Doug, good luck. :)

Top Bottom