Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good Decoy?

Scott

Whats a good decoy for the money? Mine are pretty much shot. Not looking to drop a $100 a deke either.

Whats a good decoy for the money? Mine are pretty much shot. Not looking to drop a $100 a deke either.

Old saying goes "you get what you pay for" obviously applies here....

I've got a Dakota Jake and Avian X LCD feeder hen, I think it took a whole 50 minutes to kill my two birds last year. Hard to beat any of those other dekes previously mentioned, however your not going to get em given to ya price wise ;)

Do you remember this morning??? Buy the best pal!! :D
982-_374882.jpg

There are some very good decoys on the market. Spend the money and get the best DSD, Avian or a Dakota. You won't be sorry. Personally I use DSD and have had great success with them.

Another vote for avian x. Easy to pack in and out. You get what you pay for with decoys. The more life like the better

Which would be more important, the hen decoy or a good jake. If you had to choose which would you spend more on? I am thinking about a dave smith jake and just using my primos hens. Thoughts?

Which would be more important, the hen decoy or a good jake. If you had to choose which would you spend more on? I am thinking about a dave smith jake and just using my primos hens. Thoughts?

I think that would work better than a crappy jake and good looking hens. The tom will bee-line to the jake and focus on him first before he pays alot of attention the those hens. My wife's bird last year walked past two hen dekes to get to the jake. He was in strut leaning against the DSD jake when she shot him at 6 or 7 steps. Liv probably has more to add here ;)

I'd focus on a nice strutting or jake decoy and a decent hen decoy. The first couple weeks all I use is a strutter and after that only use a hen. But the best is a strutter IMO and mines not even that expensive but I put a real fan on there and I've had great success with it.

Dave Smith Jake and save some money on the hens. Avians would save you some or the HS Penny Snood would save you more. The Avian Jake would probably work just fine too but I know the DSD Jake is a killer. I prefer a semi-strut Jake a million times over a Strutter.

Thanks guys, sounds like the Dave Smith jake is the way to go. My buddy killed 5 birds in two different states over one last year. The past 5 seasons or so i was using a primos jake (don't make anymore) with a real tail fan. Worked really well the first couple years but the last two the birds won't pay any attention to it. Thanks for the advice. Good luck to everyone on the upcoming seasons.

I use the DSD jake with the DSD submissive hen with great success. This year I picked up the flextone thunder chicken, and plan on building a stabilizer mount for reaping turkeys if they don't commit in the blind. Can't go wrong with DSD for any decoys if I was a richer man I'd own the DSD buck decoy, but that's wishful thinking.

Top Bottom