Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good news/bad news...

biggest buck

My first time applying for Wyoming Antelope and Muley, and I got drawn! Pretty pumped to say the least. Time to sight in a couple of the Weatherby's.
I have not been to Wyoming since the late 70s, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Bad news: found out today the ground I have been bow hunting the last five years, sold and is now leased to someone to hunt... Ugh So as of right now, I am down to having 1 small spot to bow hunt this year. Time to knock on some doors and make some new friends. Starting tomorrow I will begin pulling my seven stands I have on that property.

Always sucks loosing a spot. Good luck on your search for some new ground to hunt!
It sure does. I've been scoping out, and printed off, our local GIS maps and jotting down who owns what and how many acres they have. Gonna try and pick a day soon and just start knocking on their doors.

We're in unit 17. Quite a ways from 6 it looks. What dates are you guys going? We haven't planned which dates we want since we're hunting both, goats and Mulies.

Public or private ? We are kinda winging it and going to try to find one on some public. Other guy Im going with and I have never hunted out west. Probably around the opener. Figure the goats wouldnt be ran off the public as fast that way and we might catch some getting pushed around the private. Not sure what to expect!

As a "backup plan" you may want to contact the local Fish & Game people for your area and ask if they have a list of landowners who may allow you to hunt for a modest fee just in case public doesn't work out for you. They don't all charge a huge fee and you've already invested your license cost and travel. Hate to have your first WY be a bad experience just because public land had a lot of pressure. Good luck & have a blast!

As a "backup plan" you may want to contact the local Fish & Game people for your area and ask if they have a list of landowners who may allow you to hunt for a modest fee just in case public doesn't work out for you. They don't all charge a huge fee and you've already invested your license cost and travel. Hate to have your first WY be a bad experience just because public land had a lot of pressure. Good luck & have a blast!
What's a modest fee ? $100? We're not looking for trophies just a reasonable buck - think 130 inch whitetail standards . Better to go opener or wait a week ?

What's a modest fee ? $100? We're not looking for trophies just a reasonable buck - think 130 inch whitetail standards . Better to go opener or wait a week ?

You might find something in that ballpark. Prairie goats probably less than deer depending on the area. Been a long time since I shopped for hunting spot. Started out paying a rancher $35 bucks for a deer hunt about 30 years ago. Since then with changes in management the fees to hunt there skyrocketed (along with the quality of the deer). Now he's cut back and only let's "family" hunt. Thankfully after 30 years I'm now considered family and my annual hunt fee only expenses consist of taking his whole family out to dinner. What with kids, spouses and now grandkids, that still adds up to quite a whole lot more than $100. For me. it's a really inexpensive way to spend a few days visiting some of my very best friends... Hunting is not a cheap hobby, but it's way more fun than golf! :rolleyes:

Opener will likely be busy as hell, both public and private. I would wait and go later... Good luck!

We're going on public ground. My hunting partner does have a guy who owns 3600 acres, that's our backup plan. My buddy can hunt for free do to a former arrangement they made. I on the other hand was told by the land owner it'd cost me $1000. To hunt his ground with my buddy. Seems kind of steep to me. I'll be looking up other options prior to going as well.

I've been meaning to get ahold of you, Craig, and see how things are going. I guess, from your post, things are great and not-so-great. Congrats on the WY tags! As for losing your spot in Iowa, maybe its time to give up chasing those boring, predictable Midwest whitetails and come chase some exciting, anything-but-predictable Coues whitetail! ;) :D

I have bowhunted antelope and mule deer quite a bit on public, in area 17 north of Gillette. With alot of work the bowhunting has been great, but there is not much public. I've been leaving town before, when rifle opens...looks dangerous. I would go a few days early and bowhunt, to learn it, then use the rifle on opening day, if needed

I've been meaning to get ahold of you, Craig, and see how things are going. I guess, from your post, things are great and not-so-great. Congrats on the WY tags! As for losing your spot in Iowa, maybe its time to give up chasing those boring, predictable Midwest whitetails and come chase some exciting, anything-but-predictable Coues whitetail! ;) :D
Hey Brian! Things are not too bad. How about yourself? Boring whitetails! Haha. They get the blood pumpin still. I hope to one day take you up on the offer to come hunt with you. Too many irons in the fire so to speak, with vacations. Were headed to Lake Jewett in Saskatchewan again, for giant Pike and Lakers in about 4 weeks. Then I've got to make a trip to Tucson and see my sons first home he closes on today! And of course, I gotta find time to get to Florida to see my wonderful daughter sometime this year as well. On top of all that, we are selling our house as soon as I get back from Canada and moving closer to my work. Hope alls well buddy!

Hey Brian! Things are not too bad. How about yourself? Boring whitetails! Haha. They get the blood pumpin still. I hope to one day take you up on the offer to come hunt with you. Too many irons in the fire so to speak, with vacations. Were headed to Lake Jewett in Saskatchewan again, for giant Pike and Lakers in about 4 weeks. Then I've got to make a trip to Tucson and see my sons first home he closes on today! And of course, I gotta find time to get to Florida to see my wonderful daughter sometime this year as well. On top of all that, we are selling our house as soon as I get back from Canada and moving closer to my work. Hope alls well buddy!

Things are crazy but good, Craig. We're getting ready for Syd's bull elk hunt the end of September and we'll be back in Iowa the end of next week to finally bury my mom's ashes in the same plot as my dad's (took a while to get permission b/c of Veteran's Section regs). We're looking forward to it. Tell me more about Lake Jewett! We're talking about a Canada fishing trip for next summer and I'm looking for ideas and places. Good luck on your travels and you know the invitation is always there!

Woah, she got herself an Elk tag huh. How exciting!
Good deal on getting the burial worked out, that's gotta be a tough one to deal with. I lost my mother last year, it really sucks.
As for Lake Jewett, we fly out of Missinippe Saskatchewan with Thompson's Air service. About a half hour flight. Only one outfitter on the lake, so ya get the entire 8,000 acres to yourselves. No more than 8 people in camp at a time and you will catch more Pike and Lakers than you'll know what to do with. Last year I caught around 130 pike and 40 Lakers. Everyone else caught about the same with the biggest pike being 42 inches. One guy caught two of those and my uncle caught a 42 as well. My biggest was a 37 and I caught a 10 lb laker trout, he was quite the fighter. 5 days of fishing for $750. That includes the flight in and all food. It's a heck of a deal. If you'd like more info just holler!
Have a good one buddy!

Top Bottom