Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Good Venison Burger Recipes

Iowa1

All three deer we put in the freezer this year were exceptionally large and we have got so much venison burger that I can see the handwriting on the wall; the kids are already starting to turn up their nose at the burger, and the steaks and roasts are mostly gone.

Help me out here with some ideas on creative ways to use up this burger. We must have close to 100 pounds left.

Thanks in advance.

You can use it 5the same way you use ground beef. My personal favorite is venison tacos. Get a seasoning mix at any grocery store and follow the dirstions. It's easy and your kids won't even know you snuck in the venison. You could also get a Jerky Works kits and make some of the ground stuff into homade jerky.

Other ideas...venison chili, venison sloppy joes, venison maid rites, venison meatloaf...venison meatballs....I bet there's a lot of guys that wish they had your problem!

Thanks Nate, we regularly do everything you mentioned and they are all good. We have even been using a lot of it in hamburger helper. Was looking for something unique. I think I'll take your advice and make more of it into jerky this year, we usually just use scraps for jerky, but I'm going to come up with a recipe for burger jerky. Thanks.

I have found that not all "deer burger" is created equal.
grin.gif
I started out having all my ground deer mixed with beef tallow or "kidney fat". It was not the best tasting stuff. I have since begun adding "beef TRIM" which is the choice fat off the the good beef cuts and actually have some beef meat pieces still on them. Who doesn't like the taste of t-bone or rib eye fat on your juicy steak?
grin.gif
It cooks up great without dry texture or gamy taste. My wife and kids love it! If you ever make it down to the Amish Store in Cantril, pick up a bag of "Chicken Powder". Slow- cooked steamed deer burger with some chicken powder mixed in is hard to beat!

I love smoked venison burgers. Just season them to your likings, then smoke them for abut 2 1/2 hours. Pretty good.

Take your burger, I use 2 lbs, use as much as you need to suit you just adjust recipe.
Not that it matters a whole lot how you adjust since I don't measure!
In a Mixing bowl
Sprinkle a med amount of:
Lowry's Seasoned Salt
Lowry's Seasoned Pepper
Garlic Powder
Worchestershire Sauce (Don't drown it, you'll never get your patties to stick together)
MIX WELL
Then shape burger into large patties, don't have to be perfectly round. Then flour both sides and put them in a couple tablespoons of oil to fry. The oil is to get it started with the flour. If you don't your flour will burn and turn into a mess. Basically turns out like a minute steak or beef cubed steak.

Same seasonings along with onion flakes, crackers, and mustard can be used for meatloaf. Check your local cookbook for measurements!!
grin.gif

we used to mix ours with beef trimmings, and tried bacon ends..now we just grind it....all deer, nothing else.
use it in chilli, tacos, meatloaf, burritos, nacho cheese dip, lasagna, sloppy joes, etc. anywhere you would use hamburger. with a little italian seasoning, or pizza seasonings, you could use it on pizza and not notice the differece

Top Bottom