Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Got er Done!

Buckdown89

IMG_2022.JPG Last Friday I left work early to get setup on a fenceline on the ground. I got bundled into my heater body suit (lifesaver by the way.) I was settled in by 2:45 and was typically seeing deer around 3:30 in this particular location. A few nights prior my brother smoked "my buddy" so I was wondering if maybe that was the reason for not seeing any deer. At 4p.m. One of our hitlist Bucks enters the field in front of me... moving rather quickly I had a 50 yard window to decide if I was going to take the 200 plus yard shot or not if given the opportunity. I prepared for the shot and sure enough he stopped almost broadside/qaurtering away but not much at all. I cocked the hammer and let the muzzy bark. A buddy of mine was hunting the section over and had heard me shoot and immediately text my brother (bowtech.) Before I could even get my gun down and see if I had hit the deer my phone was blowing up from my buddy and brother. Honestly everything happened so fast and it was the first deer I'd ever shot at with a muzzleloader I wasn't sure if I hit him or not. He kinda trotted off up hill then turned and went back to the pocket he came out of. I told my brother I'm 90 percent sure I saw him "Muley kick." His response was, he's good as dead. I waited a half hour before going to look for blood and when I got to where I had hit him there was bright red blood everywhere. I called my brother after doing a few fist pumps and he was on his way to help. We tracked him to where he crossed the fence and blood seemed to have stopped. We ran out of daylight and decided to pick back up where we left off the next morning. When we got back out the next morning we walked all the way around the pocket and found two specks of blood where he crossed out and ran up a fenceline. Seemed like he was leaking a lot of blood going uphill and little to none going down hill. We blood trailed to the top of the fenceline and found three beds with a lot of blood in them. Walke fifty yards from the beds and there he layed. Unfortunately the coyotes had found him that evening and beat us to the punch! Beautiful cape was ruined but is replaceable! What a year it has been! Congrats to everyone and I'm excited to shed hunt!

great buck. Yep, time for coyote killing and then shed hunting. Well done!!!

Top Bottom