Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

GPS Units?

SEIowaDeerslayer

I'm looking for some advice on a good GPS unit. I recently secured a couple of more properties to hunt next fall and am going to go in there to find some stand sites after the season this year. Problem is that these are big timber areas and I'd like to have a device that I can mark a stand site with so I can easily find the stand the first few times I sit it. Any brand and model advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would look into upgrading your phone to any smart phone that way you don't have to pay a bunch more for a gps device and your phone bill plus gps service that you will only use a couple times. I have Google maps on my phone and can zoom in really close to where I'm sitting and hit save point. Then when I leave and come back I can watch myself on my phone walk through the woods right to the spot. Just a cheaper idea.

Garmin etrex would be perfect for that application. It'd be as cheap or cheaper than a smart phone without the monthly fee :way:

NWBuck

If not the smart phone idea, I'm a huge fan of Garmins. I have an ancient Garmin GPS II+, but its on its last leg. Its so old it can't have the software updated. I have a Garmin etrex Venture on my wish list because it is about as close to being the current replace ment for my dinosaur. There are other, cheaper, etrex models ($100 or less) that don't have all of the fancy features, but will do exactly what you want. With a little free time, I can dig up the model names/numbers. I have a smartphone with Google earth, but I won't be without a GPS here in the west. There are several areas that don't get phone reception, but I can still pick up satellites with my GPS. Of course, that may not be an issue in Iowa (don't recall), but is certainly something to think about if you will be using it for remote areas if you are planning to be somewhere like that.

Just took at look at the Garmin Etrex GPS systems and that Etrex 30 looks like what I'm looking for. I have a HTC Merge Android smartphone, would there be an app that I would need to get what I'm looking for?

NWBuck said:
Garmin etrex would be perfect for that application. It'd be as cheap or cheaper than a smart phone without the monthly fee :way:

NWBuck

You don't need to pay a monthly fee for gps? Also are they around less than $100?

You don't need to pay a monthly fee for gps? Also are they around less than $100?

Correct. You do not pay a monthly fee for a GPS unit. You can get several of them, including some of the "low-end" Garmin extrex models for under $100, especially during large sales events.

SEIowa-take a look at the eTrex H. Its even cheaper and will do the basic minimum of what you need it for. Bass Pro has it online for $75. I don't think you can upload maps, etc. to it, but to mark a waypoint and get to it again, its perfect and simple. If you want the map features, then the Venture and 30 are more along the lines, but much more expensive. Good luck!

Correct. You do not pay a monthly fee for a GPS unit. You can get several of them, including some of the "low-end" Garmin extrex models for under $100, especially during large sales events.

SEIowa-take a look at the eTrex H. Its even cheaper and will do the basic minimum of what you need it for. Bass Pro has it online for $75. I don't think you can upload maps, etc. to it, but to mark a waypoint and get to it again, its perfect and simple. If you want the map features, then the Venture and 30 are more along the lines, but much more expensive. Good luck!

Perfect, this is the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks! :way:

I have the Legend eTrex H I believe it is and it does exactly what I want. Marks spots and gets me to and from locations. However my buddy has the same GPS that I do and his has maps and I'm having trouble getting the maps on mine. The maps are nice when hunting public land because it shows you the boundries so you know exactly where you are, but I haven't really developed a specific need for the maps to make me figure out how to put them on it yet.

Top Bottom