Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

GPS Units

flugge

So if you were out on the market for a new GPS unit to tell you obviously where you are, property owners, etc..what would be the best route to go? Looking for any information

Hard To believe with today's smart phones the apps for maps wouldn't do the trick and GPS units would fade away.

I think the problem with cell phones would be reception? I know the area we are going, we will have zero cell service

onx hunt app. you can download the areas you hunt so you don't need service. shows property boundaries and ownership info. lots of cool features for western hunting as well.

Probably an obvious answere here, so cell phones do not utilize the same gps system as "gps" only devices?

If it is a pack in hunt I recommend an actual GPS. I'm not sure what mine is, an old Garmin of some sort, but all day use my fear with a phone app it would die and then you could be SOL

My last three trips to CO I have used my phone as my primary GPS with absolutely no issues and no cell service. Your smart phone has a GPS in it.

I use back country navigator. Maps downloaded before hand in a variety of formats such as topo and image maps. Turn of wifi, blue tooth and run on airplane mode and never had an issue with battery life. When I bought the app several years ago they had a 30 day free trial period.

OnX Maps looks to be a better service they have a mobile app and regular downloads for standard GPS units. They also have mapped out private property with owner info. to replace your plat book. They have a free 7 day trial I am waiting to try in CO this year.

I do still keep an old garmin in my pack while elk hunting that has things like camp and trail heads marked. It never comes out of the pack now that I have the phone app. So much easier to use and study the area on the bigger screen. I also carry a small back up charger for phone just in case.

Top Bottom