Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great book on deer management!

Old Buck

Life Member
I just read a book on deer management. It is called Manage Your Way To Better Hunting, Deer Management 101. I highly recomment this to anyone seeking a better understanding of how to manage deer. It is available at http://www.deermanagement.net/deer-management-books.html

The book includes chapters on the history of deer management, adult sex ratio, age structure, the relationship of herd density to herd and habitat quality, maximum buck harvest management, quality deer management, trophy deer management and record keeping.

I've ordered a bunch for friends, neighbors etc. For those of you who are from mid-Iowa I will be selling them at the gallery also in case you want to save shipping. I'm doing this more to promote qdm than to make money.

Old Buck

Oooops!

I hit submit too soon.

It is written by Dr. Grant Woods, Bryan Kinkel and Robert Bennett.

I found the book so good that I started it one evening and finished it the next morning. Even if you already know a lot about herd management it is beneficial. It really ties a lot of things together.

I'm giving copies to the neighbors surrounding my farm so they better understand what the potential is. It would also be great for the landowner you hunt on so he (she) could better understand how to manage this great animal.

I has a quotation that I love. It is from Proverbs 12:15 (NIV) and goes...."The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice". I try to be less the former and more the later.
grin.gif

Thanks for the info Larry,
I'll be stopping by soon to pickup a copy. Grant woods seems to be fairly educated on QDM. LOL

Thanks,
BT

The books are in! Cost is $20. It is worth twice that. I'll personally guarantee satisfaction or your money back (if you get them through me, otherwise you need to talk to Grant
grin.gif
).

Old Buck

Larry,...would there be any chance you might have a couple of copies "under the table" at the classic? If so, I want one. Thanks

grin.gif

Ghost,

The central Iowa chapter of QDMA is going to have a booth at the classic and will be selling books. Hopefully they will sell tons of books. Those who read it will find that it will really open their eyes concerning what they should and shouldn't be doing if they want to see lots of mature bucks.

If we can educate the masses the results in the Midwest will be incredible!

It will also open the door for ethical, trustworthy hunters because landowners will realize they are going to need effective hunters to keep the does under control on their properties. This is great news for individuals who can't afford to buy their own land but are willing to 'chip in' to earn hunting rights on some great properties.

Old Buck

Old Buck,

Thanks again for the tip on this book. I received mine a couple days ago and am amazed at the wealth of information it contains.

[ QUOTE ]
This is great news for individuals who can't afford to buy their own land but are willing to 'chip in' to earn hunting rights on some great properties.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly
waytogo.gif
I also ordered several books for those I hunt with and my landowners. I think this book will open some eyes
grin.gif

Two beards,

I think you are right on. I am using this book as the cornerstone of a major education project. Thanks partly to the information in it I hope to seriously improve the quality of deer management in a fairly large area. The book has the potential to correct a lot of hard-held misconceptions.

For one thing once a person reads this it becomes very hard to justify high densities of deer or poor sex ratios if your goal is maximizing numbers of mature bucks. The neat thing is you don't have to own the land. You can use the book to show a landowner that you have a plan to improve the quality of deer on his land and that in exchange for the privilege of hunting an occassional buck you will be willing to provide significant help in controlling his doe situation.

Good hunting and good deer management!
grin.gif

Old Buck

Top Bottom