Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great Weekend on Lake 'X'

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
As usual, we smacked 'em hard up in Minnesota this weekend! Long time friend and THA5's Godfather, Josh (Nacho) and I met up for a weekend of bass fishing. The wives got together and played with the kids and we got away for some much needed R&R and man time. I have fished this lake for years and think its as good as it is due to its access.

I'm not sure what the MN state record largemouth or smallmouth is, I guess I could look it up, but whats the fun in that :D, either way, this lake has produced several fish for me in the 6 lbs. and up range, and i had a buddy put a 7.2 lbs'er in my boat a few summers ago. There are not many lakes in MN that have than kind of trophy potential. I love it!

The worst thing they could to is pave the road in and build a parking lot, I think they know that and only the daring are able to make it in! when it rains, it is almost impossible to ge to, but worth the effort!

Here are some pix of the access road, its half the fun of fishing in this lake!!!
:)
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And not what you would call a user friendly boat ramp.....
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

and the Parking Lot......

picture.php

But the fishing..... Is so worth the extra effort it takes to access the lake!!!!
picture.php

picture.php

well, at least for me.....
:D
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

But.... Nacho did ok as he landed his biggest Largemouth ever, 5 lbs on the nose! piglet!
picture.php

The next day we hit a lake I have been wanting to learn for a long time, but for some reason, I never took the time.... I'm glad I finally did! It is a managment Smallie lake and it has lots of reefs and boulder piles makeing the habitat perfect for big bronze-backs! We found a few.... I mean Josh found them.... I couldnt connect with any smallies. all the smallies got put back as it is 100% Smallmouth catch and release. what a fun fish!!

picture.php

picture.php

Then Nacho tied into this hawg!
5 lbs Smallie! The pic does it no justice!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And on our last night here are a few others
It was a great weekend!!!

Nacho with his 1st Top-Water Largemouth.... and it tipped the scales at over 4lbs.... stupid...
picture.php

A couple more for me
picture.php

picture.php

Thanks buddy!!!

It was a great trip and a much needed vacation for both of us!!!!

Thanks for the great weekend!!!!

We have to do that stuff more often!!!

And a side note.....that bass may have been smaller then my crankbait, but he had a serious attitude problem!!!! :);)

Wow guys, looks more like a farm pond slaughter than a Minnesota (worlds worst bass state) trip. Great job. I guess if I had a Lake X I would probably fish it as well. I'm super jealous, I can't even find time to fish around here, let alone MN!

You sure you want to tell what state that lake is in?:rolleyes:

THA$, founder of the Secret Fishing Society.:grin:

Congrats on the fish!

Holy crap-o-la!

Nice work dude. Those fish are pigs! Suprised that Ford made it in and out of there. Usually that kind of stuff is Chevy terrain. :)

Last edited:
Largemouth 8lb-15oz Auburn Lake (Carver County)
Smallmouth 8lb-0oz West Battlelake (Ottertail County)

Looks like you guys had some good fishing. Congrats.

Largemouth 8lb-15oz Auburn Lake (Carver County)
Smallmouth 8lb-0oz West Battlelake (Ottertail County)

I would have guessed the Largemouth to be bigger......

Lake X has a state record LM in it, i guarantee it!!!

and the state record Smallie lake.... Ironic! Thats my muskie lake!!!!

That access is in a lot better shape than when I was there last year. It was definitely four wheel drive and hope!

I gotta get back in there one of these days.

And for the guy who thinks Minnesota is such a bad bass fishing state... well, let's just hope you and everyone like you remains in your ignorance. :)

By the way

Thomas did you ever try that other lake I recommended that was up north of there?

Thomas did you ever try that other lake I recommended that was up north of there?

I thought about it, but the 'other' lake that is near 'that' lake had ZERO weed growth in it and we got skunked.... so I have plans on hitting it later this summer!

if you wanna hit 'Lake X' again sometime, lemme know and we can go! I'd be all for it!

So...when does 'lake x' get a REAL name?
Sounds like a great place.

My truck is all gassed up and ready to go.

And for the guy who thinks Minnesota is such a bad bass fishing state... well, let's just hope you and everyone like you remains in your ignorance. :)

Oh I know there's a FEW decent bass there, I've caught them. Several 4+ lb smallies to my name, but I guess when I go up north I'm mostly looking for fish with teeth! I can drive 10 minutes to my own Lake 'X' in Iowa for pig bass :) Ignorant...no, just looking for other species!

I hear ya Danny. I have fished all over Iowa, possibly more than any other fisherman (really). ANd there are some great bass fisheries. However, MN is very overlooked as a largemouth bass destination but that is changing. Several major bass tournaments have discovered it in the last dozen years or so. From my house in Pine River I have no less than 200 good bass fishing lakes within 30 minute's drive. Some of them are pretty amazing, and some of them don't see a dozen boats a year on them. So there are plenty of bass to go around.

As far as lake X goes, I confess I have already been on it this year. It is really gin clear this spring. I could easily see the bottom in 15 feet. I caught nice 10-pound bonus northern pike too.

I actually took a GPS coordinate at the boat "ramp" and I am selling it to the highest bidder.

Just kidding Thomas! It's not really for sale.

I've caught largemouths of "boone and crocket" caliber, comparitively speaking. But the true trophy smallie has thus far eluded me, I have yet to catch a 5 pounder and have been searching northern Minnesota/southern Ontario for one. Any trophy smallie lakes not too far north of the border?

Top Bottom