Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Great Weekend!

Liv4Rut

It was a great weekend with my dad and I both taking birds. Saturday morning it was just dad and I. We drove the truck right out in the middle of the field and dropped all of our stuff off. My dad ditched the truck while I set up shot. Man I love private ground!!

There were a few birds going but nothing crazy. After awhile it turned into a major jake parade. Had a dozen jakes or so coming in and out of the decoys all morning. There was a big strutter about 300 yards away with a hen. I watched him run a few jakes off so I figured if he ever got to the point he could see the decoys he would come right in.

After keeping my dad at bay on the jakes with the shotgun I finally suggested he should try to kill one with my bow as he had never shot one in the spring with a bow. We both have same drawlength, he has shot my bow before so no big deal. We switched spots when the jakes were about 15 yards behind us. Naturally right when he got settled in we looked out the window and here came the big strutter.

The bird was making a mad dash for the decoys and my dad shot at 7 yards. I saw feathers fly but the bird didn't act hit hard and went right back into strut going to kick some butt. We both noticed his head was hanging a little low but didn't think anything of it. My dad then grabbed the gun and dropped him in the spread at 10 yards.

Just after the shot i noticed a nice big broadhead hole through my blind wall. He shot the big expandable through the blind wall which is never good. Upon further inspection of the bird he actually hit it pretty good through the neck area. There was a huge blood trail. We expect he would of died but did not give him enough time.

Just before the shot.
982-dads_bird.png

982-_545809.jpg

Saturday evening we had a hunt planned I will never forget and that is the first hunt with my 5 year old daughter and my dad. She has been talking the past couple of weeks that she would like to go and I was not going to say no. Her plan was to eat dinner out in the blind for a picnic. She had my wife pick up 3 lunchables for each of us. Then she wanted to bring her stuffed turtle to hold and watch barbies on youtube if she got bored. Sounds good to me.

Dad dropped us off at the blind while he ditched the truck. We all sat down and she wanted to eat right away. Just when we finished up the lunchables the old man spotted two jakes walking our way. She told me to call so I did. The bigger one started strutting and they were committed. I didn't really want to shoot a jake but when your little girl is saying daddy shoot it, shoot it, I caved. At about 15 yards I pulled back and smoked him. He went about 20 yards and was done. She was super excited and ran out there to check him out. I was a little worried how she would react but she thought it was great. We did some high fives and hugs and took some photos. It was a great hunt with her, dad and I.

Here is my little girl excited to be in the blind for the first time. I gave her the job to run my hen decoy via remote which she thought was awesome.
982-_147066.jpg

Here is the hunt. Looks best in 1080P. First time with the old man taping. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNFgUbJJblQ&feature=youtu.be

You can see the knock sticking out of the bird upon initial impact just above the primary feathers. The bird has not reacted yet.
982-turkey_kill_1.png

My daughter and I with the biggest turkey in the world in her eyes. :) Now she is telling me she wants to go deer hunting. I hope a 6 pointer don't walk by because I don't know what will happen. :)
982-_105942.jpg

Double gobble
982-_270268.jpg

The three amigos.
982-_12861.jpg

Mean hen that liked to peck my decoy.
982-_762936.jpg

Last edited:
That is fantastic! I remember telling my dad to shoot stuff when I was a kid, I know if/when I have kids I'll cave for sure. Congrats!

Haha that's great mike! Congrats on some well spent family time. Wont be long before your running the remote and shes behind the trigger

Great weekend for sure...congrats to both of you on a couple of hunts you'll never forget!!

NWBuck

Top Bottom