Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Greetings and a ?

K

Kat

Hi everyone. I've enjoyed reading the posts on this board for some time now. This site is great! I've been hunting for about 9 years. Got my first deer in '99, a 7 point buck w/my bow. An 8 point w/shotgun in 2000, and in '01 a doe w/bow and a huge 9 point w/shotgun. Just a little background info.

But now the time has come to stop being shy. I need to ask for the opinions of the muzzleloaders here. My fiance wants to start hunting. He wants to start with muzzleloading. In the Cabelas clearence catalogue they have a Remington model 700 ML Magnum w/a free 209 conversion kit for $399, and a Knight Bighorn Magnum that has the 209 ignition for $199. I know that the Remington is a good gun. It's also $200 more.

So how 'bout it? Which would you choose?

Thanks,
Kat

I think it worth it, but if you look more you can probably find the remington for under $300 and spend $35 on a conversion kit. I picked up 2 rem 700 this last summer for $279.99.

If he hunts with freinds he might want to consider what they are using also, so if he gets into the field and forgets something he can borrow one of theirs.(caps or quick loader tube)

Hey Smokepole, where'd you get your rems from? Do they all go on sale in the summer?

We wanted to get a ml that was good for a begginer, but I'd rather pay a bit more for quality then get a cheep one that he'd want to upgrade in a year or two. I know that Knight has a good reputation, but I'm afraid of the whole "get what you pay for" deal. Just wondering if it'll be worth it to spend the extra money on the 700.

Thanks!

Go with the Knight. Its a better gun and you won't have trouble with it not firing like a lot of Remingtons tend to do.

Hi Kat.

Here's my .02 cents worth. The best quality has never been too good.
I think the Remington 700 ML is a good rifle with the exception of the standard nipple that requires #11 percussion caps. I think the musket cap or #209 primer ignition is easier to use and tends to be more reliable in making the rifle go BANG.
Knight makes several models and seem to be very well recieved. I borrowed my brother's Knight and shot it once, with the result of one very dead buck. I am not fond of their double saftey system, but I am old school and have used round ball rifles almost exclusively (they have no saftey).
I hunted with some guys from Maine in the late ML season. One of them had lost the rear sight blade on his Knight in Maine and had substituted another that was not Knight. We could not get the rifle to hit a 2 foot by 2 foot card board box at 50 yds. I called Knight factory in Centerville, IA and asked if they had a replacement blade for his rifle they said they did. We drove over to Centerville and they replaced his rear sight at no charge. With in 3 shots we had it in a 2" bullseye at 50 yards. I'd like to tell you that he killed a big buck, but that would not be true. The only member of the Maine group to kill a buck used a Remington 700 ML. (130's) not a monster but he was happy.
Bottom line is get a decent rifle, maybe take the extra $200 you would spend for a top of the line rifle and buy powder, caps and bullets (balls) and shoot enough to become familiar with that rifle.
Big Buck 184 above has shot deer with a $100 auction ml, a custom $700 ml, and a $250 Remington 700 ML. He has also killed deer with a borrowed compund bow, cost $0.00. The main thing is to put the projectile in a vital area when the time comes whether it be ball, bullet, slug, broadhead or Chevy. Good Luck! I hope we haven't confused you too much.

Kat,

I type approximately 2 words a minute and you asked about stainless being easier to take care of while I was answering your first post.
Yes and no. You still must clean your ml regardless of whether it is blued, browned, or stainless if you want the little round things that come out of the barrel to go where you point the rifle. The stainless exterior does not rust as easily as a blued finish.

"Always aim to be careful, and be careful to aim!"

Remington and Knight both make quality muzzleloaders. They are both accurate and deadly. My advice is to try both guns and feel them out. When I buy guns I usually look at the items in person before I buy them. Just check both items out in person and you'll figure out which one you want. My 0.02 worth.
Good luck to ya,
BT

KAT
IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A NEW MUZZLELOADER GO TO THE IOWA CITY SCHEELS THEY HAVE THE LARGEST SELECTION IN THE AREA. MY FIRST MUZZLELOADER WAS A REMINGTON, BUT I TRADED IT IN FOR A KNIGHT. BOTH ARE GOOD GUNS BUT I WOULDN'T TRADE MY DISC RIFLE FOR ANYTHING ELSE. SO IF YOU WERE REALLY THINKING OF SPENDING THE $4OO BUY A KNIGHT DISC. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

Thanks for the help, guys! I think it probably would be best to see them in person and then decide. I'm just gettin so used to buying stuff online, sometimes you forget that.
wink.gif

It may be a little shorter comute to Scheels in Lincoln that Iowa City for you TK.

I would go with a Knight. I have hunted with mine for a number of years now and would never hunt with anything else. I have had it loaded for a whole week and hunted in the rain and it has always fired, with no problem. This year during early season muzzleloader I hunted in a complete downpour for the whole first day, and shot a buck the next. It is as accurate as any gun will get and is very reliable. I took a buddy hunting this year during late season and he shot his fist deer (and buck) with a Knight Bighorn. A very good gun, and a nice shot. Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

I sure would not call the Knight Bighorn one of Knight's cheap guns. It might be one that they are putting a clearance price on but I wouldn't call that cheap. I would call it a bargain! Especially a Bighorn MAGNUM and with the 209 conversion to boot. You would not be disappointed with the gun. But, if you are not on a budget, I would also check out the Remington and I also would take a look at the new Knight disk extreme and take a look at the Thompson Center Encore. These are just what I would look at but there might be some more good options too.

Thanks all. Thanks 150 class, that's exactly what I was wondering.

Top Bottom