Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ground Scent

rutnstrut

PMA Member
I know there are a lot of variables but how long do you think the ground scent you leave behind while walking into a stand or checking a cam is strong enough for a deer to detect???

I've never had problems with it.. I've never used scent elimination and have had deer walk down the trails I walk in on

I have never SEEN a deer react to my ground sent. I have seen coons and yotes obviously react to my ground sent even AFTER deer have gone past.

Last year I watched a guy on the neighbors property walk in right about shooting time during bow season. About a hour later a mature buck cut his trail. This deer turned inside out and ran like a bat outta h*ll. First time I ever saw this.

I personally have had deer walk right down the path I walk and they never pay attention. I do wear rubber boots all the time and saturate them ever time I leave the truck. I also try to touch nothing on the way in.

^ Exactly, Lovetohunt. Good Post. You may be fine that hunt, but you will begin to notice that your hunts after that time will bring fewer deer numbers (let alone mature bucks). Deer learn pretty quickly how to avoid people, and will start to pattern you because of your scent. It's important to have a good cover scent and entry/exit routes at each stand site. Even if it means taking the long way around.. Also, avoid brushing up against branches, bushes, undergrowth and anything that you can transfer your scent onto. It's hard to do in the beginning, but it will increase your odds at having an opportunity at a mature buck, especially if you hunt the same stand site multiple times.

Last edited:
A scent study was done using K9's regarding the amount of time passed as to where scent matters. I believe it was somewhere in the 45 minute range where the dog took more time to detect the human scent. I also saw it somewhere that it's about 1 hour for your ground scent to dissipate to the point of the deer relaxing.

I had a big buck cut my truck 3 hours once after I walked through the woods. Interesting it was a day I chose to wear rubber boots. He turned inside out and headed for the hills.

All deer are different. I do think some of these Iowa farm deer are used to human scent as people are out in the fields all the time. compared to a North Woods animal. A strong sweat punch in the nose is probably offensive. A little from a boot on the ground, where they have smelled it before, don't think it means that much in Iowa.

All deer are different. I do think some of these Iowa farm deer are used to human scent as people are out in the fields all the time. compared to a North Woods animal. A strong sweat punch in the nose is probably offensive. A little from a boot on the ground, where they have smelled it before, don't think it means that much in Iowa.
I agree with this and was thinking of this the other day. I hunt around a lot of ag and pasture ground where people are around throughout the year. I'm sure the deer are a bit more tolerant.

Top Bottom