Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Gun Buck

Liv4Rut

I went with a few buddies down South to some public ground hunting this weekend and ended up shooting the buck below. Saturday was pretty quiet as far as people hunting. I had a 140s and bigger buck give me the slip in the evening.

The next morning I went into the center of the place where a bunch of ridges come together. I had quite a bit of natural movement in the morning and passed a 130s 10 pointer. About 1:30 some guys did a big drive on the north end of the place and I had quite a few deer including a couple shooters run up the ditch to the west of me that I could not shoot. They all kind of stopped on top of the ridge and walked over it. I figured they would come back out in the evening and work their way in front of me.

About 2:30 a doe came from that direction. Then another day came out of the ditch and popped out about 50 yards away. She looked behind her and about 100 yards away was the buck below. He stopped right behind a tree and all I could see was the tip of his antlers therefore I had no clue what he was.

I wasn't too concerned as the does were feeding through and I expected about 30 more to be coming. All the sudden a guy yelled out "Hey Mark" about 150 yards away extremely loud. The doe took off and I looked over at the buck and he swung his head to the side and I got a glimpse of his width and he appeared to have a big body.

I decided my night was going to be screwed since a guy was coming towards me so I swung my savage 220 over and put it just behind the shoulder as that is all I could see and shot. I hit him perfect and he went about 50 yards and crashed. He is main frame 8 pointer and has 2 small kickers coming out of the base.

The 1.5 mile drag out about killed me and buddies though. Overall, it was a good weekend. The guy that yelled walked over to me and he was lost. He was a good mile from where he thought he was.
982-buck.png

Nice one Liv! I couldn't imagine dragging a deer that far!

It wasn't much fun. We had him, a big doe my buddy shot, 3 LW Stands, 3 sets of sticks, 3 backpacks with enough gear to sit all day, all of our cold weather clothes plus 3 guns to take out with 3 guys.

we had the buck and doe on the deer cart. Had the stands, sticks, guns on my stand cart and packs on our backs.

I shot him at 2:30 and we got out of the woods at 7pm. We were all whooped and I am still hurting today.

I don't know if I will hunt that far back in there again. I know I need to get in better shape. My back started cramping so bad I was just about down for the count back there. That buck made me pay for shooting him way back there I do know that. I think he got the last laugh.

Last edited:
Great buck! Congrats. I think that kind of distance would have merited about two trips....one with gear and one with deer. Crazy!

Great buck buddy, sounds like a good weekend. You guys sure know how to get it done on that public ground.

Congrats
Kratz

That Savage 220 is a sweet gun. A guy in our group who has never shot a deer his whole life got one and had it sighted in to where he was pin holing the target. Needless to say, our first drive was successful in him shooting a nice buck. Great gun. Would be tempted to get one myself if it was a bolt action and I wasn't the one doing most of the walking.

Back in 2005, I dragged my first Coues whitetail (about 90 lbs on the hoof) 1.5 miles back to camp in some rugged terrain. I learned a good lesson that day. I can't imagine getting one of those Iowa bruisers 1.5 miles out without quartering it up and making multiple trips!

Great looking buck! Congrats!

Top Bottom