Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

handgun hunting laws?

JRudd

Aim small miss small.
Just wondering if anyone could post a link or something to clear up the regulations of hunting with a handgun.

Questions a few of my buddies and I have are:

With cwp, does the handgun have to be unloaded and cased when in the truck?

If a gun has a laser on the grip, and batteries removed, is it still illegal?

And just looking for other info so we know what is and isn't legal.

I was always under the impression that if you are hunting, then the hunting laws trump your carry permit. I would assume it is at the discretion of the law enforcement to decide if you are in the act of "hunting" or not?

I was always under the impression that if you are hunting, then the hunting laws trump your carry permit. I would assume it is at the discretion of the law enforcement to decide if you are in the act of "hunting" or not?

It doesn't matter if you are hunting or not, you have the right to defend yourself. You can't get a loaded gun ticket while in a vehicle with cwp.

If you have a weapons permit you can have an uncased loaded firearm in your vehicle while hunting. It's not a concealed weapons permit, just a weapons permit and you can choose to carry concealed or open carry and the weapon can also be a long gun or a knife. Yes the DNR officer will give you a hard time and say you can't because they don't want folks driving around with loaded long guns in their vehicles which I don't blame them. If you are using a handgun for deer hunting there are regulations for caliber and barrel lengths to be legal. I think 357 is the smallest caliber and a 4" minimum barrel length, no lasers but having the batteries out might be in the discretion of the officer.

Only for pistols, they talked about it in the class

Wrong, I know at least five coyote hunters that have been stopped with multiple loaded guns and there's nothing they can do about it as long as they have a ccp. Your permit is for any legal weapon. It doesn't specify pistol or long gun. If you did get a ticket which you won't, there is no way it will hold up in court. With your permit it gives you the right to carry a loaded firearm for protection even if you are hunting. You never know when you will have to defend yourself.

You can carry ANY gun uncased and loaded.

Not to muddy the waters anymore or pose another question, but again, if you have your permit to carry you can do so with ANY weapon. I thought I heard somewhere though that if you have any passengers in the vehicle with you and they don't have their permit to carry that they can be ticketed. Almost to the point where if you are going to carry open and loaded that everyone in the vehicle needs their permit. That sound right to anyone?

Last edited:
You can carry ANY gun uncased and loaded.

Not to muddy the waters anymore or pose another question, but again, if you have your permit to carry you can do so with ANY weapon. I thought I heard somewhere though that if you have any passengers in the vehicle with you and they don't have their permit to carry that they can be ticketed. Almost to the point where if you are going to carry open and loaded that everyone in the vehicle needs their permit. That sound right to anyone?

I believe as long as a licensed individual is in the vehicle and "has control" of the weapon, all will be fine. Licensed or not. The issue is when the licensed individual gets out and leaves a loaded weapon with people who are not licensed. I will try to do a little law research on this later today when I get some time.

I would add another question if I could. If you are carrying while shotgun hunting deer or during late ML season does it have to be a handgun that would be legal for deer hunting, such as caliber or barrel length. This question came up last weekend when someone asked about carrying a 9mm XD while hunting, not meaning to use it to shoot deer but just carrying it. I told him that he could not have it with him, was I correct?

I would add another question if I could. If you are carrying while shotgun hunting deer or during late ML season does it have to be a handgun that would be legal for deer hunting, such as caliber or barrel length. This question came up last weekend when someone asked about carrying a 9mm XD while hunting, not meaning to use it to shoot deer but just carrying it. I told him that he could not have it with him, was I correct?
You were correct and a 9mm is too small. The weapon still has to be legal for that season that's why bow hunters can't carry a handgun even if they have a weapon permit.

From the regs:

Transporting Firearms
A person, except as permitted by law, shall not
have or carry a gun in or on a vehicle on a public
highway, unless the gun is taken down or totally
contained in a securely fastened case, and its barrels and attached magazines are unloaded. Handguns must be transported unloaded in a closed
container or securely wrapped package too large to
conceal on your person or which is not readily accessible to any person in the vehicle. Muzzleloaders must be cased but will be considered unloaded
if the cap is removed from the nipple or the priming charge is removed from the pan.

And when the carry law was changed to shall issue, this was provided by the iowa firearms coalition to explain a few gray areas and how the change affected them. See page 2 483A.36
http://www.iowafirearmscoalition.com/download/weaponspermitguide.pdf

So the DNR says if it's okay by the law it's okay by them. The law says you can have it loaded. I still can't find anything about having non-licensed people with you in the vehicle though. But I'm positive that as long as a licensed individual is in control of the firearm it is fine.

You were correct and a 9mm is too small. The weapon still has to be legal for that season that's why bow hunters can't carry a handgun even if they have a weapon permit.

I don't know that this is necessarily the case. It is not stated anywhere (other than bowhunting) that a person cannot carry a handgun, that is under the approved deer hunting calibers, while deer hunting. There are other legal season going on that a small handgun may be used for at that time. It obviously wouldn't be legal to use it on a deer, but to carry it isn't illegal I don't believe. If you can point me to where it says it is, please do so.

On the other hand, why carry the extra weight of a small handgun while deer hunting? If you need to protect yourself from someone or something while hunting I think the shotgun/muzzleloader in your hand will do just fine.

I don't know that this is necessarily the case. It is not stated anywhere (other than bowhunting) that a person cannot carry a handgun, that is under the approved deer hunting calibers, while deer hunting. There are other legal season going on that a small handgun may be used for at that time. It obviously wouldn't be legal to use it on a deer, but to carry it isn't illegal I don't believe. If you can point me to where it says it is, please do so.

On the other hand, why carry the extra weight of a small handgun while deer hunting? If you need to protect yourself from someone or something while hunting I think the shotgun/muzzleloader in your hand will do just fine.
Coyote hunting is legal, but see how far you get carrying a rifle and a slug gun at the same time while deer hunting with the exception of the late doe rifle season? There are regs as to what is considered a legal weapon while deer hunting and which seasons and handguns are covered.

From the regulations.
Hunters may not carry a handgun while
hunting under an archery tag, unless they have an
unfilled transportation tag for a season that allows
handguns.
Shotguns: 10-, 12-, 16-, and 20-gauge shotguns
shooting single slugs only.
Muzzleloaders: Flintlock or percussion cap
muzzleloading rifles or muskets between .44 and
.775 caliber shooting single projectiles; muzzleloading
pistols .44 caliber or larger with a minimum
barrel length of 4 inches and no shoulder
stock or long barrel modifications. Muzzleloaders
equipped with electronic ignition are not allowed.
There are no restrictions on in-line or disktype
muzzleloaders. Riflescopes may also be used.
Handguns: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber
or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition with
an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrel length
for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder stock or
long barrel modifications are allowed.
Only the following center-fire cartridges may
be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,
10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action
Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum,
.44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag,
.45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester
Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451 Detonics, .454
Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W
Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, .480
Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50
Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.
Hunters age 16 and under ma

Coyote hunting is legal, but see how far you get carrying a rifle and a slug gun at the same time while deer hunting with the exception of the late doe rifle season? There are regs as to what is considered a legal weapon while deer hunting and which seasons and handguns are covered.

That would make or an interesting conversation with a CO:D I'm not saying I would do it, but I haven't seen anywhere it says you can't, other than the bow season regulation. Carrying a rifle with a slug gun during shotgun season isn't illegal either, yeah you'd have to be pretty dumb to do it, but there's nothing wrong with it until you shoot a deer with the rifle. My point is I wouldn't say a law is a law unless you are 100% sure and can back it up. :way:

Thank you everyone! That's exactly how I thought it was! I have a buddy who "thinks" all the info he gets from this guy at his work is gospel so I needed clarifying. ( I'm sure some of you know guys like that ha ha)

Still waiting on a phone call about
The pistol with the lazer in the grip. He has a kimber .45 and thought the lazer was a good idea for some reason:confused: idk but word I just got was up to discretion of the CO if he wants to write it up, or take the gun or both.... not sure if that's accurate or not until I get the phone call from the local CO. But I'd hate to have his gun taken from him because of a deactivated lazer on the grip.

IMHO, i think he should leave that gun at home to look pretty and go get a Remington R1. I love mine!

Thank you everyone! That's exactly how I thought it was! I have a buddy who "thinks" all the info he gets from this guy at his work is gospel so I needed clarifying. ( I'm sure some of you know guys like that ha ha)

Still waiting on a phone call about
The pistol with the lazer in the grip. He has a kimber .45 and thought the lazer was a good idea for some reason:confused: idk but word I just got was up to discretion of the CO if he wants to write it up, or take the gun or both.... not sure if that's accurate or not until I get the phone call from the local CO. But I'd hate to have his gun taken from him because of a deactivated lazer on the grip.

IMHO, i think he should leave that gun at home to look pretty and go get a Remington R1. I love mine!

I think it would be hard to prove that the batteries were not in the lazer before the CO stopped him (could have been in and removed when they saw the CO), but also hard to prove they were (unless the CO walks in on him hunting and the batteries are still in or has video of him taking them out). So, I'm going with at the CO's discretion. I would either take it off the gun, or leave the gun at home.

That would make or an interesting conversation with a CO:D I'm not saying I would do it, but I haven't seen anywhere it says you can't, other than the bow season regulation. Carrying a rifle with a slug gun during shotgun season isn't illegal either, yeah you'd have to be pretty dumb to do it, but there's nothing wrong with it until you shoot a deer with the rifle. My point is I wouldn't say a law is a law unless you are 100% sure and can back it up. :way:
From the regs on page 23:
Prohibited Devices and Activities
You may not use dogs, domestic animals, bait,
radios, handguns, rifles and crossbows (except as
described below), automobiles, aircraft, electronic
calls or any mechanical conveyance or device to hunt.

Here is the list of handguns from the regs that are considered to be legal during deer hunting:
Handguns: Center-fire handguns .357 caliber
or larger, shooting straight wall ammunition with
an expanding-type bullet. Minimum barrel length
for all handguns is 4 inches. No shoulder stock or
long barrel modifications are allowed.
Only the following center-fire cartridges may
be used: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .375
Winchester, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .401 Powermag,
10 mm Auto, .41 Remington Magnum, .41 Action
Express, .44 S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum,
.44 Automag, .444 Marlin, .445 Super Mag,
.45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Super Mag, .45 Winchester
Magnum, .45 Silhouette, .451 Detonics, .454
Casull, .45-70 Govt., .460 Rowland, .460 S&W
Mag, .475 Widley Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, .480
Ruger, .50 Action Express, .50 Linebaugh, .50
Beowulf and .500 S&W Mag.
Hunters age 16 and under may not use any
handguns. Hunters ages 17 through 20 must be accompanied
by a parent, guardian or spouse who is
at least 21 years old to use a handgun.

You cannot hunt with your gun concealed, even if you have a permit to carry. At least, that is what one of the local COs told me while I was hunting and my big heavy coat had the gun covered.

Top Bottom