Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hang and hunt setup

beararchery

Know this had been asked a few times on here but what does everyone's setup look like. I bought a set of sticks and stand for this method and can't seem to find a good way to haul them in. Anyone have a pack they recommend? My own real issue is being quick and quite. I can hang two steps quick but once I get higher up dealing with the sticks and hanging them becomes a issue. Thanks in advance

Everyone has their own way that they found works for them but here is mine.

I have a lone wolf stand and 4 lone wolf sticks. I pack them in with my badlands 2200 which is an awesome pack!

When I get to my tree I get my harness completely on and hang the first stick. I then go back down and grab the second, then the third, and fourth. When I go up with the fourth stick I grab my tow rope and pull my stand up once I get the fourth stick hung. I then go back down and hang my bow on the tow rope and grab my backpack and climb back up the tree the last time.

On the way down I lower my bow climb down and shed the backpack and layers. I then go back up and take them down.

I have my lineman harness on the whole time minus putting the first stick up.

Here is what works for me:
Lone wolf alpha and 4 lone wolf sticks
Sticks fit on stand held in place by straps
Stand and sticks strapped to badlands 2200
At tree, remove stand and sticks
Put 1st stick on tree
Tie stand tow rope to belt leaving stand on ground
Use linesman belt (critical) to go up tree
Carry 3 sticks in one hand
Place sticks across linesman belt between you and tree
Remove a stick and place on tree
Repeat with 3rd and 4th stick
Use tow rope to pull up stand and place on tree
Down the tree using linesman belt
Bow on tow rope and backpack on back
Up tree using linesman belt
Connect safety harness to tree THEN remove linesman belt
Step on stand, hang pack, pull up bow
Hunt

I'm almost identical to Rjack. I wear my backpack when climbing, it's not much of a pack. I also tie my tow rope that's hooked to my stand to my harness. And I tie my bow pull up rope to a belt loop or somewhere out of the way.
Sometimes it all works and sometimes it doesn't but I really like just making one trip up the tree if at all possible.
I'm also using a lonewolf and 4 sticks

Very important ^^^^^^ I'm always connected 100% of the time. No matter how much of a pain it is at times

EZY Steps in a fanny pack, lonewolf, retractable bow rope. EZY steps are AWESOME. They screw in insanely easy and are waaaaaay less bulky than sticks of any kind. You can climb, set stand, and be sitting in under 5 minutes.

Obviously this is not an option on state land, some private landowners, or in trees with timber value.

EZY Steps in a fanny pack, lonewolf, retractable bow rope. EZY steps are AWESOME. They screw in insanely easy and are waaaaaay less bulky than sticks of any kind. You can climb, set stand, and be sitting in under 5 minutes.

Obviously this is not an option on state land, some private landowners, or in trees with timber value.

Can you expand on these steps? What ones do you use? It looks like they have about 10 different models. What makes them better than any other screw in step you can buy?

Can you expand on these steps? What ones do you use? It looks like they have about 10 different models. What makes them better than any other screw in step you can buy?

I use the EZY climb coated ones. I choose coated to eliminate noise in fanny back. They are a fixed step. I do NOT like their folding steps.

Traditional steps (even the good ones) take a good amount of effort to get all the way into the tree. You would probably be sweating when you got to the top. These EZY steps are designed to go in super easy and fast. Poke a tree, any tree, and it will sit there. Most trees you can start screwing them in with 2 fingers....not kidding. I carry 12 or so in my fanny back....insert the first 3 from ground and start climbing. Fast Fast Fast. Can get 20' and hung in silence. There arnt sticks that could make noise banging. Once you start up a tree you never come back down to retrieve more sticks. go go go. It is certainly not perfect for every situation, but it is a great tool to have in the bag that I have called upon. Trust me I would rather have 200 permanent sets, but that's not practical for many reasons. So I have this tool along with a lone wolf climber. I went and hunted Illinois on a buddies property 2 years ago that I had never been to.... no scouting, no time to pre-hang stands. This is all we did for a week straight. It was no big deal. Good tool to have IMO.

I use the EZY climb coated ones. I choose coated to eliminate noise in fanny back. They are a fixed step. I do NOT like their folding steps.

Traditional steps (even the good ones) take a good amount of effort to get all the way into the tree. You would probably be sweating when you got to the top. These EZY steps are designed to go in super easy and fast. Poke a tree, any tree, and it will sit there. Most trees you can start screwing them in with 2 fingers....not kidding. I carry 12 or so in my fanny back....insert the first 3 from ground and start climbing. Fast Fast Fast. Can get 20' and hung in silence. There arnt sticks that could make noise banging. Once you start up a tree you never come back down to retrieve more sticks. go go go. It is certainly not perfect for every situation, but it is a great tool to have in the bag that I have called upon. Trust me I would rather have 200 permanent sets, but that's not practical for many reasons. So I have this tool along with a lone wolf climber. I went and hunted Illinois on a buddies property 2 years ago that I had never been to.... no scouting, no time to pre-hang stands. This is all we did for a week straight. It was no big deal. Good tool to have IMO.

That's awesome. I may have to give them a try. I use lots of other screw in steps and know exactly what you are talking about. Sweating like crazy by the time you get them in, if you can even get them started. Thanks for the info.

I love being in a tree, but have had just as much luck sitting flat on my butt on state land!!

I've begun hunting from the ground quite a bit over the last couple of years. I like the idea of being mobile if needed. I shot a doe from the ground last year and have had some close calls with other deer from the ground. Definitely more exciting at eye level but sometimes the tree is the best route.

Second the EZY steps. Cost more but nothing compares. They will go into the hardest tree with ease. Also taking them out is super fast. I don't use steps much anymore but EZY is hands down the best. I have an Xop and 5 muddy sticks. Muddy sticks are the best and fastest I have used.

I have never liked any screw in step but I will be looking into these. I have muddy and lonewolf sticks and will grab the lonewolf's 9/10 times.
I killed my first bow buck from the ground, followed that up 9 yrs later with my best bow deer to date, also from the ground. Maybe we all need to keep our feet on the dirt a little more often

Same setup as most of the guys on here with the lone wolf stand and sticks. They're worth the money and pretty fool proof to set up and transport.

Top Bottom