Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hang on stands?

meatcleaver

meatcleaver
Im planning a trip to Iowa in a year or 2 to deer hunt and I want to know what brand hang on stands you Iowa residents like to use. I know yall have a lot more crooked and gnarly trees than we have here in Georgia. What works best in Iowa? Thanks

Im planning a trip to Iowa in a year or 2 to deer hunt and I want to know what brand hang on stands you Iowa residents like to use. I know yall have a lot more crooked and gnarly trees than we have here in Georgia. What works best in Iowa? Thanks
Varies on circumstances. Some of mine have small platforms, some have larger platforms. Some Ameristep, some Big Game, some I've had so long I can't tell you what they are. Some are permanent sets for the season, some are temporary early season or late October sets. Some are reserved for "The Rut".
I think the key is in your climbing sticks. Lot of the guys like Muddy or Lone Wolf. I have a 20 ft set of millinium and a couple shorter sets of Ameristep.
My favorite "mobile" stand is a 13 ft. Rivers Edge ladderstand I purchased 4 seasons ago. I mount it on an Army A.L.I.C.E. Pack frame (large pack w/ hip pad). It only weighs 33# and I can get set up or ready to roll inside 15 minutes. When I hunt new areas with limited scouting this is my go-to stand. Always wear a harness and you can't go wrong.

I'm A lonewolf junky. I've tried them all in the hang on department and I've been on vacation going on 8 days. I've spent over 25 hours in a lonewolf alpha II just in those days because of odd wind directions. If you have two years to prepare start saving your pennies and grab a lone wolf hang on and 5 sticks. It will do anything you will ever need it to do.
If your looking for all day comfort I highly recommend hunt comforts seat. Great stand with all day sit ability. I wouldn't trade mine for anything else on the market, and like I said. I've tried them all. Second choice would be lonewolf sticks and a muddy blood sport or millennium

Just bought a new mellinenium M-50 today and man is that thing easy to hang. Love the came mount system on that thing. Big comfy seat and large platform. Muddy or Lonewolf sticks complete that setup. You can buy additional came mounts for multiple trees and carry the stand and have it secured to the tree in just a couple minutes.

I asked the same question 3-4 years ago and almost every reply was Lonewolf or Muddy, with a couple of Gorilla suggestions. I ended up buying a new Gorilla Silverback and a set of 4 used LW sticks. The Gorilla worked well enough, but I fell in love with the LW system on the sticks. Got back to AZ and sold my Gorilla quickly and replaced it with a LW Alpha. Worth every penny! From experience, don't skimpy and go the less expensive route. You'll want the best, easiest system to use when hanging a stand in the dark and that's Lonewolf!

Mine are all Lone Wolf Elite's and Alpha's. i did just recently buy one muddy hunter hang on but I can already tell I'm not going to like it as much as my LW's. I sure wish they would bring back the LW Elite. I love those things!

seats

What about the seat on the Lone Wolfs? Is it comfortable to sit in all day? Or atleast 5 or 6 hours? Ive never looked at one up close. Is it gel inside?

I sat 3 days from daylight to dark in my alpha II last week. The seat is bearable. Nothing like lounging in my millennium all day though. I would say the seat is bar none better than what you get on a cheap 49.00 stand. It is thin but not too bad. Muddy bloosport seat is comfy but the ease of hanging and tree options with the lonewolf system outweighs the comfort. I plan on picking up a hunt comfort seat one of these days to stick on the alpha, a lot of coin but to me it would make it the perfect stand.

The original seat sucks. Spend the money on the hunt comfort and a smile will come to your face everytime you sit down. Maybe it is because your wallet is lighter but well worth the money.

Liv4Rut said:
The original seat sucks. Spend the money on the hunt comfort and a smile will come to your face everytime you sit down. Maybe it is because your wallet is lighter but well worth the money.

Can you still fold the seat up and have it stay up and out of the when using ez hang hook? I like to stand a lot with the seat up and lean back against the tree. Mostly during prime movement hours.

The original seat is ok IMO. But there is room for improvement.($60better be on heck of an improvement) I can "sit" all day with it no problem. Is there anyone that actually sits the whole time? I know I don't.

-}}}---------->

Cooter said:
Can you still fold the seat up and have it stay up and out of the when using ez hang hook? I like to stand a lot with the seat up and lean back against the tree. Mostly during prime movement hours.

The original seat is ok IMO. But there is room for improvement.($60better be on heck of an improvement) I can "sit" all day with it no problem. Is there anyone that actually sits the whole time? I know I don't.

-}}}---------->

The seat still folds back and rests against the tree just fine. I never used to sit either and stand most the time. I found that my ankle doesnt kill me as much when i sit more frequently than I had been. Since I sit more, i noticed the seat more and decided to replace it since I started getting uncomfortable on all day sits with it. This seat is the bomb. I feel like im sitting on my couch. If I didnt have a bad ankle I most likely would stand most the day and not have bought it.

Top Bottom