Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Have You Guys Ever Taken This Shot?

The Silence

PMA Member
I normally walk to my stand in my gillie suit especially when I'm using CRP as cover. As I was doing that last Saturday I walked within 10 feet of a shooter buck with a doe. He jumped up but the doe stayed bedded. He ran a short distance and stopped, waiting for her. I think he smelled me but I got down on the ground quickly behind the tall grass and hid. I waited for 5 minutes and wanting to get to my stand I slowly rose up. That's when the doe jumped to her feet, joined the buck who was still waiting and they headed over the hill.

As I continued on, I was reminded of another time where I was heading to a stand through a draw of CRP when I jumped a bedded buck in some tall grass. I had the wind to my advantage and I sat down as quickly as I could. He went maybe 40 yards, stopped and turned around to check his back trail before heading out. He could not pick me up in the gillie suit.

Both these encounters happened so fast I hardly had time to think. If I would have had an arrow nocked, and dropped down to one knee. Do you think I would have had a chance to get a shot off or do you think the buck would be so jacked up emotionally that he would bolt and possible ruin the arrow placement? Have you guys ever taken a similar shot?

I wear a Ghillie on occasion as well but have never been presented with an opportunity like that. Let's say you were ready for it, arrow knocked, yardage known and you were able to get drawn and standing, I'd take the shot. 40 yards might be a little far for a buck that alert, but 30 and under, no question what I'd do.

In 2012, I had a big buck come in to my rattling sequence, got within 20 yds, but no shot. 4 days later I was switching stand locations and just as I was about to walk through a small waterway in the middle of the picked bean field, I told myself to clip the release on to my string just in case...no sooner did I get it attached and up popped the same buck. He bolted for about 10 yds, but I immediately grunted and stopped him. A couple more grunts and he stepped out at 40 yds. I was at full draw already and made the shot. I can only guess that he spooked from sound of my walking (didn't see or smell me) so my grunts made him think it was another deer. Pretty exciting encounter and my biggest buck up to that point.

I also have a shot question after tonight's hunt.......
I had the buck I've been after for 2 years dogging a doe out in the open just after sunset. He disappeared over the hill. 2 minutes later I hear crashing behind me and here he comes. I was at full draw by the time he BUMPED MY LADDER as he walked underneath me. I remembered reading on here not to take those close shots because it can easily result in a one lung. I let him walk away 15 yds and let out my best bleat. He stopped dead (alive) in his tracks, only offering me a straightaway, facing away shot. I've never considered this shot, and didn't take it, hoping for a broadside turn. 3 seconds later he noticed another doe out in the open and he jumped back out of the timber to chase.
I have to think I made the right decision as this shot was the same one lung risk....right? Anyone ever take a straight away facing away shot? How'd it turn out? Thanks.

I had the buck I've been after for 2 years dogging a doe out in the open just after sunset. He disappeared over the hill. 2 minutes later I hear crashing behind me and here he comes. I was at full draw by the time he BUMPED MY LADDER as he walked underneath me. I remembered reading on here not to take those close shots because it can easily result in a one lung. I let him walk away 15 yds and let out my best bleat. He stopped dead (alive) in his tracks, only offering me a straightaway, facing away shot. I've never considered this shot, and didn't take it, hoping for a broadside turn. 3 seconds later he noticed another doe out in the open and he jumped back out of the timber to chase.
I have to think I made the right decision as this shot was the same one lung risk....right? Anyone ever take a straight away facing away shot? How'd it turn out? Thanks.

I've shot two deer almost directly under my stand. Both shots put the buck down within 75 yards. I know it's frowned upon by some but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

I've shot two deer almost directly under my stand. Both shots put the buck down within 75 yards. I know it's frowned upon by some but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
I came here so you guys could make me feel better about not shooting. You're not helping! :)

That's a tough one wapsi. Not the best shot by any means, but I'm not gonna lie, I'd probably take it if it was presented. However if you didn't feel it was right, then good job holding off!

I have no problem taking a straight down shot. I’ll take a close shot on one lung any day. Have done it 4 times over the years. Spined one, and none of the other 3 made it 100 yards. At that range a certain pass through and a bottom out hole = an awesome blood trail!

Straight away shot? No way! Not me! Not even with my rifle! Even if you do kill it you’re likely to tear up too much meat. To me, respect for the meat is as important as the antlers when it comes down to respecting the game we are harvesting. Same reason I really hate to leave one overnight and risk feeding the coyotes!

Wapsi, I shot a doe several years ago that was nearly directly under me. I don't know what I hit for sure, but likely one lung. She only ran like 30 yards and bedded down behind me. Didn't die, I waited like two hours and she still hadn't expired. The tree was to big around to get a shot behind. She knew I was there and was looking at me the entire time. Eventually she got up and ran off. I found her a couple hundred yards later after waiting a few hours to go track.

Not sure I would try that shot again.

If they are facing away the room for error is greater buuut if the shot is true they will die fast. If you can pull it off it’s very lethal.

Wapsi, I shot a doe several years ago that was nearly directly under me. I don't know what I hit for sure, but likely one lung. She only ran like 30 yards and bedded down behind me. Didn't die, I waited like two hours and she still hadn't expired. The tree was to big around to get a shot behind. She knew I was there and was looking at me the entire time. Eventually she got up and ran off. I found her a couple hundred yards later after waiting a few hours to go track.

Not sure I would try that shot again.

I would bet you were a bit further back than you thought and caught liver or a kidney. One lung (with a sharp broadhead) won’t live that long.

If they are facing away the room for error is greater buuut if the shot is true they will die fast. If you can pull it off it’s very lethal.
At the angle I had, the point of entry would have been just in front of the loins to try and reach the cavity and near the heart. I just didn't have enough faith in the mechanical broad head to get that far. Shooting 70lbs with 31" draw on an older bow...maybe around 300 FPS. Don't know anything except for one thing. I'm in that tree again tomorrow morning at 6 AM. Did I mention it was a hang and hunt at 4:20?:)

I have shot two straight down almost. Both worked out but I think back that I shouldn't have. First walked just past the tree, put the pin on his spine and shot down thru. He went quite a ways but bled the whole way. Second came under and got two 5 yards and I shot to one side. He went 150 yds good blood the whole way. I think I got lucky both times. Something I would think very hard about next time. If quick, clean kill is the goal I failed.

At the angle I had, the point of entry would have been just in front of the loins to try and reach the cavity and near the heart. I just didn't have enough faith in the mechanical broad head to get that far. Shooting 70lbs with 31" draw on an older bow...maybe around 300 FPS. Don't know anything except for one thing. I'm in that tree again tomorrow morning at 6 AM. Did I mention it was a hang and hunt at 4:20?:)
With a mechanical you probably made a good choice to pass that shot. I have no experience with mechanical Broadheads as I’m a fixed guy;)

With a mechanical you probably made a good choice to pass that shot. I have no experience with mechanical Broadheads as I’m a fixed guy;)
Me too, but life/work went crazy and had to get ready for hunting on the fly this year...took what was available at Thieson's. Shelves were pretty bare. It was mechanicals or some $6 Allens at WalMart. Uuhhhh, no.

Have also taken this shot. Look for the heart and poke it out of him, dead deer all day.

As for the original post, that is a tough shot on an alert deer. I would definitely be aiming at the bottom of the heart as at that distance that deer is definitely ducking. I actually would be pretty hesitant to take that shot!

Top Bottom