Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Herbicides

Does Atrazine have a shelf life I have about 40 gallons that is 3 years old Been in my barn ?

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
What is a good mix for brush honey suckle I was using diesel fuel /gly and 2-4d but it is making a paste in my sprayer like oatmeal. I was reading about crossbow looks like it would work. I need help .

What is a good mix for brush honey suckle I was using diesel fuel /gly and 2-4d but it is making a paste in my sprayer like oatmeal. I was reading about crossbow looks like it would work. I need help .

Crossbow with a shot of 24D in it, and a crop oil to heat it up will melt them in a hurry.

FYI on price

I discovered after looking at Keystone supply and then talking to local Co-op I can just buy it.

Price on Simazine was 24.96 for 2-1/2 Gal Vs 59.95 plus shipping.

Price on SFM75 same as Oust Could not even beleive this one
(8) 3 Lb jugs for 64.95 Vs 149.95 for (10 3 Lb jug

I discovered after looking at Keystone supply and then talking to local Co-op I can just buy it.

Price on Simazine was 24.96 for 2-1/2 Gal Vs 59.95 plus shipping.

Price on SFM75 same as Oust Could not even beleive this one
(8) 3 Lb jugs for 64.95 Vs 149.95 for (10 3 Lb jug

Wow! Great prices!

Going back through threads on herbicides amount I have seen the formula change here and there. Just wondering which one I should follow?

Oust
is used for tree plantings and I also use it to release established switch and other NWSG plantings. One only needs 1-2 ounces per acre Herbicides

The following is the herbicide mix that we use to get season long weed control in tree plantings, if applied over the top, do it before budbreak.

Quote:
<TABLE dir=ltr border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=584><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#d6ccbb vAlign=center>
Oaks and cedars - per 5 gal water in ATV sprayer

2 qts simazine
2 qts prowl
1-2 ounce sfm-75 (oust)

If grasses and small weeds are present add

16 ounces clethodim
1 qt crop oil

If applying to shrubs and fruit trees omit Oust
On fruit trees and shrubs I use the following in a 3 gal BP sprayer....

Quote:
<TABLE dir=ltr border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=584><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#d6ccbb vAlign=center>1 qt Simazine
1 qt Prowl
1 qt crop oil
8 ounces clethodim

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></B>
That mix will burn down most emerged broadleaf weeds, kill annual and perennial grasses and provide season long residual control. I direct spray around trees but...this mix will not kill trees if some gets on the leaves at worst it may cause some burning or spotting on leaves that the mix may get on.

On oaks and conifers I use the same mix but add Oust/Spyder...this mix is deadly and can cause injury if applied over the top of budded or candled trees so I direct spray around base of seedlings if they have broke dormancy as they did very early this year.

Quote:
<TABLE dir=ltr border=1 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=584><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#d6ccbb vAlign=center>1 qt Simazine
1 qt Prowl
1 qt crop oil
8 ounces clethodim
1 ounce Oust XP

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></B>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Tree planting of oaks several years old, Part of it with back pack sprayer and part of it with tractor 55 gal spray rig.

Then I have some red cedars I want to spray around with back pack sprayer. 1 year old planting, and then will be planting 50 new one this year.

And lastly my apple trees!

Oaks and cedars - per 5 gal water in ATV sprayer

2 qts simazine
2 qts prowl
1-2 ounce sfm-75 (oust)

If grasses and small weeds are present add

16 ounces clethodim
1 qt crop oil

If applying to shrubs and fruit trees omit Oust

We found we better all season control using higher rates, especially on heavy soils

Thanks!

So My prices were right on those two herbicides.

What she messed up on was the Quantity I had to buy. I had to buy a whole case which has (8) 3 Lb jugs. I can not return.

I would like to get rid of (6) 3 Lb jugs if anyone needs any Would sell for the 64.96 each plus maybe 10.00 shipping So anyone need SMF75

Last edited:
2 qts simazine
2 qts prowl

Applying above to red Cedars can you apply this over the top on Red cedars? Or do you need to shield them when applying?

I have never used that combo? I use a 50% gly and water sometimes but generally use Garlon/Remedy/Relegate and dsl to basal bark spray small shrubs and trees. Check the labels on those herbicides for details.

By know most are aware of Keystone Pest Solutions as an online source for most of the herbicides we may need if you can not find it locally. They also often carry smaller quantities if you don't need a 2 1/2 gallon jug of something.

Keystone Pest Solutions

Search "Oust" on their site for instance and you'll find a generic alternative "Spyder" and if you can't find something give them a call and ask for help or encourage them to carry something you may need.

Rural King still has the lowest price on clethodim (for killing grasses in clovers and other broadleaf crops)

Rural King - Clethodim Source

In most cases your local ag co-op will order the herbicides you need but often they may require a 5 gallon case order...check with them first but as with the clethodim, sometimes an online order, even with shipping is less expensive.

ePestSolutions is another online source that carries a huge array of herbicides including Panoramic (for NWSG) with free shipping so check and compare before you order...;)

Paul which one are you using? The one on the left (gallon size) ?

Top Bottom