Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2058 Changing minimum caliber of muzle loaders in deer seasons

Should HF 2058 changing minimum caliber of muzzle loaders for deer hunting be adopted?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
Sounds like some smokeless guys want to have some special build 30 calibers. Heading towards "primitive" just means single-shot high power. I am not a fan of this one. I do have a 36 caliber muzzy, but would not deer hunt with it. Good squirrel and rabbit gun....

Sounds like some smokeless guys want to have some special build 30 calibers. Heading towards "primitive" just means single-shot high power. I am not a fan of this one. I do have a 36 caliber muzzy, but would not deer hunt with it. Good squirrel and rabbit gun....
My initial thoughts as well and I agree with your thoughts on it

I am in favor. There are good muzzleloaders out there that are less than the .44 caliber minimum required today that can still put out good deer killing loads. Yes, there are smokeless options too, but they are not high power guns any more than guns that are already legal take in Iowa. I do not see this one as opening a door to anything we should worry about (high powers?), far from it, and they are not any more unsafe than other guns out there (when properly used).

The cowboy caliber law passed last year very easily so I’ll put wagers this one will also. This bill might not be a big deal but this day and age( law makers) is to include as much as they can for equal opportunities. With all the special interest groups filling the pockets of our legislators will never stop until this is achieved.

Sounds like some smokeless guys want to have some special build 30 calibers.

Had this exact conversation with a smokeless builder 2 weeks ago. Will get ballistics approaching .338 Lapua. (not a whole lot different than what Lyon posted as noted above) Not sure how I feel about this one. Also, probably allows for an even less recoil gun for youth with certain loads, so that could be good.

The chart Lyon provided in this thread is for a currently allowed set-up. That is pretty close to 30-06 ballistics. I assume everyone considers a 30-06 "high power". What happens when that much smokeless powder is pushing a smaller bullet? Do we really need the ability to shoot a deer at 1000 yards?
https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/muzzy-gun.56904/page-2
I didn’t say it in my post but I agree 100% but I’m sure many had that figured out:D

I have been thinking about this bill as it relates to barrels, calibers and sabots. As I understand it a .30cal barrel using a sabot can shoot a .224 caliber bullet. Back in the day when there was a late season high power rifle season the smallest caliber allowed was .240cal.

That also had me wondering about straight wall cartridges. Can they be loaded with a sabot? Can a straight wall casing be reloaded with a sabot and a smaller bullet resulting in improved ballistics? Is that even legal? The possibilities would be endless. Who needs shouldered casings and calibers? Load up some .50 Beowulf with a .450 bullets and have at it. Perhaps it isn't that simple.

Top Bottom