Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2108 .410 for turkey hunting

So if the gun is not too big but they're still young? Both mine could shoulder and handle youth models very easy and the devastation from that youth model is the same as my adult model. I simply saved some coin by not going that route.

I do agree with you that maybe the most important aspect is laying the foundation and learning patience. I felt I accomplished that in our preparation and they both took part in the process from trail cams (scouting) to prepping blinds, rigorous practice shooting (which they loved), etc. I think we can, however, agree that somewhere is a breaking point where if the only way for your child to get it done is by using a field pod of sorts, then it may be too early! We are t as far apart as you think, there's just several ways to skin a cat.

Age is not the end all be all. I imagine thru wording it sounds like I am saying that. Every kid is different, my 5 year old is bigger than his friends that are 1-2 years older. He will be physically able before some and later than others. I don't see that age as a number means much. Physically capable a mentally able to understand is important to me. My son is not safe enough for my taste even if he can handle it. Sounds like yours are. I am not against young kids hunting, I just hate seeing dad forcing it and the kid not really enjoying and savoring it. It's amazing what kids can do when they really want it. As far as saving money I completely understand, I wouldnt want to or have the cash to buy a bunch of bantam weapons. I will have to make due but I will still want them to handle there own business, even if they need to wait just a bit longer. And you are right, we don't seem as far off.

I'll bite, and am not going to try and change your mind as I am sure we are far apart on this. My feeling is if the gun is to big then it's not time. My oldest son can shoot a cricket, but not a .410. He can shoot a small light bow but not mine, or a mid level youth bow. Should I then invent some way for him to shoot a bow made for a grown man? They have that, its called a crossbow. I don't think a bi pod or shooting sticks or a tree branch are the same as a device that only requires you to point and pull the trigger. Might be a good way to practice, but not to hunt in my eyes. I want my kids to be able to fully handle and function a firearm or archery equipment for safety sake. I don't feel rushing them out is the right way. Patience is a huge part of hunting, and maybe the most important part. I feel they need to be able to handle, safely handle every aspect of the weapon from start to finish before they hunt with it. A good foundation will support them if they continue hunting as they get older.

Concerning field pods, etc...My feelings would be very close to what Oct-Lull wrote. I remember first carrying a toy, wooden rifle as my first gun on pheasant hunts way back when. When it was apparent that I could handle that without pointing it at anyone or plugging the barrel with mud, etc, I was graduated to being allowed to carry a BB gun. (I thought I was Red Ryder himself BTW. :D)

When I demonstrated that I was safe with that...I, like Barney Fife, was allowed to carry a shotgun with ONE BULLET only :D. (Apparently my dad did not want to risk getting shot more than once? :D) I was now in the big time! It wasn't until I bought my own shotgun when I was 16 that I was able to load more than one shell at a time.

Now my progression may have been unnecessarily elongated, perhaps due to me being overly hyper and impulsive as a youth, etc, :D, BUT...when I think of a 6 or 7 year old shooting a deer or turkey with a gun that they most likely cannot safely handle "in the field", which is not to say that they cannot pull the trigger inside a blind, I think it is better to let the kid grow into the process and not get in too big of a hurry, etc.

As a for instance...I still remember the huge smile on my older son's face when I told him he was now allowed to carry his pocket knife on turkey hunts with me. (I think he was around 7 or 8 at that time.) We had dozens of SUPER great times together hunting in the years following that and he never once complained about not being the trigger puller.

Top Bottom