Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2124 Same as SF 2034 wounded deer tracking with leashed dogs.

Fishbonker

Life Member
This is what is called a companion bill.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF2124&ga=87

I have talked with a lot of people and read the posts. The main issues I have heard with this bill is the fine is too low. $25 is no deterrent whatsoever to leashing up Lassie and going for a stroll on ground they don't have permission to be on. It has been suggested that it would be better if the fine was tied to the trespass laws with a minimum fine of $250.00.

Another suggestion I have heard would be if asked the deer trackers would need to prove they are tracking a wounded deer either by blood or hair at the site of the shot.

Now, in my opinion, which hasn't changed since the last time this bill was proposed, I would like the deer trackers and their dogs to be certified by a national blood tracking association. No certifications, no tracking. I feel those trackers who are dedicated to the activity will get certified and those that just want to make a quick dollar on the desperation of a hunter won't be allowed to.

Another thought I had is state licensure of tracking dogs and trackers. Just a thought. I don't know what it would take to become licensed. Perhaps registered is a better term. Certification could be part of qualifying for registration. I know if I was going to employ blood trackers to find a deer I'd want to know that the tracker I'm calling is not just someone with a dog and a leash.

The exception would be if you own the land to be tracked you could leash up the dog sleeping under the front porch and have at it. Come to a line fence, dog goes back to sleep under the porch and after you call your neighbor and get permission you could either 1: call a registered tracker or go on foot.

Do I want hunters to recover their dead deer? Absolutely. Do I want deterrents to trespass and keeping hunters from being taken advantage of? Absolutely.

A total FWIW here...I was standing in a line a couple of days ago two guys near me were talking to one another. I wasn't really paying attention until one of them said something about "tracking dogs". That caught my attention and I confess, I started to eavesdrop a little. :)

Pretty soon one of them said..."If they pass it, I am going to take my dog on a walk on __________'s ground." I really don't know if he was serious or joshing his buddy, but I smiled a smile when he said that.

I totally agree with you Bonker, "Do I want hunters to recover their dead deer? Absolutely. Do I want deterrents to trespass and keeping hunters from being taken advantage of? Absolutely." But we need to keep in mind that there seems to be no shortage of people who will exploit any weakness, etc, in this law, should it pass.

While I agree there is a possibility of abuse, I liken that argument to the gun control people wanting to make laws to prevent bad guys from getting guns. If they're going to trespass they're going o trespass. I doubt I'd pay a thousand dollars to hire a professional tracking dog but I'd be happy to be able to legally be able to use dogs to up the odds of finding one in case of a bad hit.

While I agree there is a possibility of abuse, I liken that argument to the gun control people wanting to make laws to prevent bad guys from getting guns. If they're going to trespass they're going o trespass. I doubt I'd pay a thousand dollars to hire a professional tracking dog but I'd be happy to be able to legally be able to use dogs to up the odds of finding one in case of a bad hit.

Respectfully...I disagree with the notion that, "If they're going to trespass they're going o trespass.". The proposed bill would make it easier for someone to trespass, as they would face a whopping $25 fine for doing so. This is way less than a regular trespassing fine and NOT a real deterrent in my mind.

I agree $25 is a joke of a fine, but I'm still not sold on the idea of guy standing by the fence saying "I'd go through there but it might cost me 200 bucks so I guess I won't." The honest guys won't, but they wouldn't anyway regardless of the fine. Look at the fines for speeding or OWI. They're both higher than trespassing yet people are convicted of both quite often. As long as people value antlers above all else there will be trespassing.

I agree $25 is a joke of a fine, but I'm still not sold on the idea of guy standing by the fence saying "I'd go through there but it might cost me 200 bucks so I guess I won't." The honest guys won't, but they wouldn't anyway regardless of the fine. Look at the fines for speeding or OWI. They're both higher than trespassing yet people are convicted of both quite often. As long as people value antlers above all else there will be trespassing.

Locks and laws only keep honest people honest. The hope is two fold for me, one; the fine MAY act as a deterrent and two; that if it doesn't and they get caught it has more repercussions than the cost of a case of beer.

Having some first hand experience with habitual law breakers in the fish and game world, the amount of the fine isn't going to make them think twice. They really just need their nuts cut off.
But in no way am I saying 25 bucks is fair. Should be waaaaay higher

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom