Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 2179 carcass movement

Fishbonker

Life Member
Changes the wording in tagging a dead deer.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=86&ba=hf2179

Pretty common sense to me. I've had to drag some deer out of some pretty gnarly places in the past, thickets where I had to move it so I could attach the tag, and some places where I was afraid the tag would inadvertently get pulled off. Those places weren't very far though, maybe 10 feet or so. BUT I still like the "tag it before you drag it" mantra. Which includes putting the tag on an antler before the deer is posed for the photo shoot.

So does anyone know why they introduced the requirement several years back that the tag has to be attached to the antler? I wonder if the concern is it can be slipped off a leg and placed on another deer leg?

Could be. Or they wanted a tag on an antler for a while after the deer has been processed. I'm thinking from where ever it was processed to a taxidermist?

If you tagged a buck on the leg, caped it, took the body to process it, either to be processed by yourself or a locker, then took the head to a taxidermist the tag would be with the body and not the head. Therefore how would the CO or a taxidermist know it was legally taken and by whom?

I'm not sure when it is OK to take the tag off of the antlers.

Seems reasonable, but we must have some real hard core COs if they have ticketed someone for not tagging a deer that was in the middle of a road or when someone had to drag it out of a pond or river.

They can't be enforcing it much anyway. Most every harvest picture you see has no visible tag. Plenty of people cheating the system, gotta try and curb it somehow.

Top Bottom