Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hf 327 & sf219

That made me laugh at that last comment by Hardwoods11. Back when I was younger my dad took me up to a lake that some of his buddies went to for catfishing. Man the catfishing was amazing and all the locals from MN thought we were just crazy for catching and keeping catfish!! Dang Iowans anyways......

Why not charge $5,000 per tag for non-resident landowners to shoot a buck each year?

They have already proved with the governor tags that people will pay it. Just more money for Iowans anyways.

They could still do the draw but have a 100% gaurantee that one can hunt if he or she pays the $5k...
I think that most nrlo's would be more inclined to give the $5000 you suggest to a lobbyist than to pay that much to hunt their own land.

I think when you guys talk about charging $5000.00 for a deer tag to hunt your own land, you're just showing how intelligent you aren't.

I'd never support $5k deer tags. Really, I'd say the REALITY is, about 1-2% of our population could write a $5k check for a TAG and not be set back by that. I personally think $550 is a lot for many middle-class folks with families. I think we're borderline PRICE-GOUGING as it is, actually probably past that point.

Again, folks are so short sighted with ANY reg change they want for a variety of reasons. Not talking about this issue BUT folks like Farm Bureau going for all the deer tags- they don't care about anything except saving $ and could care less about carrying capacity, hunting quality, hunter success/satisfaction, sound biological data, etc, etc. They are "ONE ISSUE VOTERS" and only care about saving a few dollars- it's a shame. I'm so nervous about ANY reg change and folks really need to understand all the deep ramifications of any change and folks DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW FRAGILE IOWA IS!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's 5-7% timber like I've said, we don't have millions of acres to change the dynamics and think it won't have any effect. The ripples from any regulation change could sink what Iowa is today. Not saying hunting would cease to exist BUT I am saying it could EASILY slip far away from the quality we see now & spiral down-hill - at that point, we'll all be kicking ourselves for making some short-sighted, knee-jerk, one issue/motive reg change. BE CAREFUL FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I think when you guys talk about charging $5000.00 for a deer tag to hunt your own land, you're just showing how intelligent you aren't.

That might be your opinion, but there are alot of NRs in my area that would say "no problem" and cut the check , as crazy as it is to think. There are truly people with more money than sense and they would pay it

Last edited:
Let me break it down for you all! You have money............Your gonna win!!!!!!!! Welcome to the fu..ing USA!!!!!!!!!!! Wave that flag!!!!!!

$5 for a Nebraska tag

$5000 for an Iowa tag?

I like Nebraska's offer better, $5 for a non-resident youth deer and/or turkey tag.

I would think many other states would offer great whitetail hunting oppurtunities. I don't think Iowa should be offering nrlo's the oppurtunity to kill antlered deer every year at any cost. Why do people think it would be ok if we put a high enough price tag on it? Just leave the regulations as they are, and if nrlo's can't live with it; they can either move here or buy elsewhere.

NRLO's would write a check for $5k every 2nd or 3rd year so fast it would make your eyes peel if they could be assured they will be drawn every third year.
Year one=Normal Draw FAIL TO DRAW (Purchase $5k tag instead)
Year two=Normal Draw FAIL TO DRAW (Purchase $5k Tag instead)
Yea three=Normal Draw SUCCESSFUL DRAW @ $500

5,000+5,000+500= $10,500/3=$3,500/year to hunt a big buck

There, I just solved everyones bitchin and made Ioaw DNR some money. If you dont wanna pay, you cant play and must wait it out.

If someone can afford $2,300/acre or MORE they can certainly write a check for $5k. Ever been on a guided hunt of any kind? $5k is nothing for most of these guys to hunt moose, elk, or caribou. Iowa Whitetail rank right up there.
Truth is, money is relative to what you earn and what your obsessions are. It's also relative to whats in your bank account.
My friend drives a BMW but lives in a trailer.:confused:

Oh wait a minute, did I just describe the governors tag concept??? YEP! I sure did!

Last edited:
[

If someone can afford $2,300/acre or MORE they can certainly write a check for $5k. Ever been on a guided hunt of any kind? $5k is nothing for most of these guys to hunt moose, elk, or caribou. Iowa Whitetail rank right up there.

I wouldn't pay $1000 let alone $5000...it doesn't even cost $5000 to hunt elk.

I totally agree. Also when I hear you are paying your lobbiest $5000 each, in some cases, I question intelligents. The nice thing about this is the money is coming to Iowa. :grin:

$5000 for an Iowa tag?

I like Nebraska's offer better, $5 for a non-resident youth deer and/or turkey tag.

This would be a great move for Iowa as well. It would allow the NR youth and Iowa family connections for hunting. I do think that would have merrit, but I am a grandparent with a soft view.

NRLO's would write a check for $5k every 2nd or 3rd year so fast it would make your eyes peel if they could be assured they will be drawn every third year.

There, I just solved everyones bitchin and made Ioaw DNR some money. If you dont wanna pay, you cant play and must wait it out.

Truth is, money is relative to what you earn and what your obsessions are. It's also relative to whats in your bank account.

Oh wait a minute, did I just describe the governors tag concept??? YEP! I sure did!

And here in lies the problem. Very inch worth hunting will be owned or controlled buy the wealthy land baron. Never mind that you are a resident, you are poor and second class. Iowa traditions and hunting culture are history, but who really cares. Here in lies the problem. Oh and who needs pasture ground, move your cattle somewhere esle. No issues here at all.

Bitch bitch bitch bitch..... I really need to controll myself.

I know lots of guys who make $50k-ish per year that own a 40 acre tracts FOR EXAMPLE. Some are NR's, some make a little more or less and some own more or less acreage.
So, after all their taxes they pay (federal, state, property, sales tax, FICA, S.S., etc) they probably make around $30k per year take-home. SO, $5,000 for just the tag is almost 20% of their income. Plus travel, lodging, food, gear, etc- they probably have another $2k into things. Then, the guys I know, have land payment, etc. An extra $5,000 is ridiculous. Most these guys manage $ tightly to be able to hunt, adding a $5k tag is ridiculous. Like I said, probably 1-2% of our population could afford this without it really causing major financial issues.

Nebraska offers $5 resident and non-resident youth tags for deer and turkey.

This would be a great move for Iowa as well. It would allow the NR youth and Iowa family connections for hunting. I do think that would have merrit, but I am a grandparent with a soft view.

Hey, we agree on something, in all seriousness this is a nice gesture to the youth. I just read a statistic in Wisconsin that projected a 27% decline in hunters within 20 to 25 years. Fact is there just isn't that many youth taking up this great sport...it is sad!

Are you saying ifyour friend was driving an old rusted out S 10 instead 0f the bmw he could also own some land instead?Does that also mean that if you live in a $200,000 house and drive a new pick up car and boat you too could own land instead.Interesting ,I wonder if that is what some nrlo's have done rather than being super wealthy.Or maybe they just worked and saved and drove junk on top of that.We all have our own senerios don't we?

I totally agree. Also when I hear you are paying your lobbiest $5000 each, in some cases, I question intelligents. The nice thing about this is the money is coming to Iowa. :grin:
You did not hear anyone was paying lobbiest $5000 a year.What you heard was nrlo's would probably rather pay a lobbiest $5000 than pay that much to hunt their own land!Big difference.

Different strokes for different folks. Not allowing NRLO's to be able to hunt their land for bucks wont last forever. That I promise.

BTW. Dont all you guys know everyone is living on credit now days anyways?

Give me a break............. Every state shows preference to it's residents in some form or another.
I believe that is correct .There are 4 major groups=resident landowners=residents =non resident land owners=non residents.Each group has their own priviledges and should be recognized.There may be others but as far as I know Iowa is the only state that does not give nrlo's any preference over non residents who do not own land. Not really very complicated .

Nebraska offers $5 resident and non-resident youth tags for deer and turkey.

Hey, we agree on something, in all seriousness this is a nice gesture to the youth. I just read a statistic in Wisconsin that projected a 27% decline in hunters within 20 to 25 years. Fact is there just isn't that many youth taking up this great sport...it is sad!

We Totally agree on this one.

Top Bottom