Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hf 327 & sf219

Daver, the deer the residents take are legal. It's up to them to report the deer. The point is many do not report their kills and the 229 is not an accurate stat.

What I was saying is that if they are not reporting them, then they are ILLEGAL.

Another comment, tying into what Sligh posted above. I truly do not know anyone that is shooting 3 bucks a year as a RLO. Certainly some do, but I just can't see where it amounts to anything worth arguing about here. But I do know several people that have gone whole hog on the late antlerless seasons and routinely each shoot 25 to 50+ deer per year. THAT is something that I see and know is happening and is in my mind definitely impacting populations.

All I am saying is let's have our debate based on relevant facts, not ancillary ones.

3 bucks in one year

What I was saying is that if they are not reporting them, then they are ILLEGAL.

Another comment, tying into what Sligh posted above. I truly do not know anyone that is shooting 3 bucks a year as a RLO. Certainly some do, but I just can't see where it amounts to anything worth arguing about here. But I do know several people that have gone whole hog on the late antlerless seasons and routinely each shoot 25 to 50+ deer per year. THAT is something that I see and know is happening and is in my mind definitely impacting populations.

All I am saying is let's have our debate based on relevant facts, not ancillary ones.

Daver/Sligh: You guys always have great posts, and I respect the heck out of both of you, I know you know deer!! But, why 3 bucks? This puts you in a category with Mississippi and Alabama. Ok, so 226 extra bucks are shot big deal right, well do the math, combine that with the shed bucks and shed bucks not reported, and it all adds up to over 1000 bucks correct? Why not pursue getting rid of the excessive limit and the late rifle season combined...no reason for either one.

Here I cannot shoot one and I am a landowner and you guys are sidesteppin three as a non-issue??

Daver/Sligh: You guys always have great posts, and I respect the heck out of both of you, I know you know deer!! But, why 3 bucks? This puts you in a category with Mississippi and Alabama. Ok, so 226 extra bucks are shot big deal right, well do the math, combine that with the shed bucks and shed bucks not reported, and it all adds up to over 1000 bucks correct? Why not pursue getting rid of the excessive limit and the late rifle season combined...no reason for either one.

Here I cannot shoot one and I am a landowner and you guys are sidesteppin three as a non-issue??
No one is side stepping this issue. I believe we as residents (who live here all the time) are telling you it is a non-issue. I have never heard anyone who is a resident complaining about Iowa landowners having the opportunity to shoot 3 bucks. That's probably because it isn't happening #1, and most hunters rely on the landowner to do their own hunting #2.

Cedarcreek, give me a break. I know residents who do not report their kills. This is the height of hipocracy. A couple thousand NRLO's will damage the deer herd in Iowa if guaranteed to shoot one buck, but resident LO's who can shoot 3 a year do not because 229 reported their kills last year. Give me a break. I believe more do not report than do report. What does taking a deer to a locker have to do with reporting the kill to the DNR? The locker could care less about reporting.
Where do you take your deer to be processed? If it is in an Iowa locker; it had better be legal or you will be ticketed! Iowa isn't as backhills as you are making it out to be. If you know residents breaking the law, and not calling TIP; you are no better than they are! Somehow that doesn't suprise me.

Cedar, I follow the law to the T. Be careful playing morality police with me. I would love to meet you face to face. You're a brave guy behind your keyboard and I guarantee you would not spout the comments you do to me in person. We can disagree but do not attack me personally. I don't see you addressing Sligh in the same manner regarding the 42 does taken and not reported in his previous post.
If anyone were taking deer illegally I would call, and I have in the past, but they are not. Non-reporting does not rise to the level of poaching. I assume they are not reporting based on comments, but I do not know for sure. Stick to the issue and stop the personal attacks, the bottom line is non-reporting is a problem.

Last edited:
This puts you in a category with Mississippi and Alabama.

Whoa!! That's hittin' below the belt right there, I think you must be lookin' for a throwdown! :D I'll have you know right now that I have all my teeth AND I am NOT married to one of my cousins!! :D

Getting back to my point...all I can say is that I could care less if the DNR moved the resident landowners back to two bucks per year like everyone else, it is a non-factor for me AND I do not see any real evidence that the three buck option is really impacting anything relating to our deer herd. However, there are several other factors that have a real impact on our deer populations and land access and I would prefer that we focus our attention on those items. Simply, major on the majors and minor on the minors.

Thinking back to a person I know well that has probably shot 150+ deer in the last 3 or 4 years here in Iowa, mainly attributable to the liberalized antlerless late season. Even while trying to be careful about it I know he has shot probably at least a dozen shed or button bucks. Frankly, after shooting that many baldies, most of them at longer ranges with a rifle, I think he has done well not to shoot more sheds/buttons.

So while he has never purposely shot 3 antlered bucks in a year, he is a land owner too, he has been taking 5 or more bucks out of the pool every year. If I stand back and hold my head just right, I can see where that one guy right there is taking more bucks from a given county in a year than ALL THE REST OF COUNTY LANDOWNERS TAKING A THIRD BUCK added together. So again, all I am saying is that let's focus our energy on those items that actually are impacting us and the 3rd landowner buck isn't it. I am not arguing in favor, or against, the 3rd buck tag, I am just saying let's get things in the proper perspective as we try to analyze the situations.

Cedar, I follow the law to the T. Be careful playing morality police with me. I would love to meet you face to face. You're a brave guy behind your keyboard and I guarantee you would not spout the comments you do to me in person. We can disagree but do not attack me personally. I don't see you addressing Sligh in the same manner regarding the 42 does taken and not reported in his previous post.
If anyone were taking deer illegally I would call, and I have in the past, but they are not. Non-reporting does not rise to the level of poaching. I assume they are not reporting based on comments, but I do not know for sure. Stick to the issue and stop the personal attacks, the bottom line is non-reporting is a problem.
You might be more than suprised to meet me face to face. Somehow i get the feeling you think i'm some little 5'10" 200lb. man. I've never hid behind anything in my life. I've always taken pleasure in shutting a big mouth, and i can guarantee you i'm much more earnest in real life. The fact that you don't know how regulations are enforced in Iowa, and your approach to this non-reporting problem you say runs rampant tells me you are part of the problem. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
Cedar, why don't you address the 42 unreported does in one truck comment by Sligh? I would think a primary threat to deer hunting is the harvesting of too many does. 42 unreported does would seem to be a large problem. This type of thing goes on all over the state. Why address me and not him?
I see you're not a measily 5'10" 200 lb. guy, I'm sure you are a physical specimen?!

Last edited:
Cedar, a couple of questions. Since you have a ton invested in your Iowa land and deer hunting. 1. How much did you pay for your farm? Or, did you inherit your land through a simple $1 transfer? 2. How many days did you spend in the field last year hunting deer all seasons combined. I'm sure it was a lot since you are an authority.

Just for the record... I would fight tooth and nail if legislators ever tried to take away the LOT Anysex Tag.

6'1" 225lbs. Don't mess with me.

This... is... AWESOME!!

BTW, my dad is tougher than yours, my truck is cooler/more badass than yours, and your mama is ugly. :drink1:

Cedar, a couple of questions. Since you have a ton invested in your Iowa land and deer hunting. 1. How much did you pay for your farm? Or, did you inherit your land through a simple $1 transfer? 2. How many days did you spend in the field last year hunting deer all seasons combined. I'm sure it was a lot since you are an authority.
I never inherited anything in my life. I've spent more days in the field growing up on a farm as a teenager than you will in a lifetime. I know more about Iowa farmland, and the habitat on it than you will ever know. I don't feel i need to give a nr from Pennsylvania my credentials. I'd ask for yours, but you ignorants says it all.

just for the record... I would fight tooth and nail if legislators ever tried to take away the lot anysex tag.

6'1" 225lbs. Don't mess with me.

This... Is... Awesome!!

Btw, my dad is tougher than yours, my truck is cooler/more badass than yours, and your mama is ugly. :drink1:
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Thank the lord we have a hard ass in PA to tell all of us in iowa how it should be.. btw cedar creek you'd better watch out i think hes hinting that he's a real tough guy..(behind his keyboard)

Yea Cedar as usual you avoid the questions and issues. Typical blowhard. And the word is "ignorance" not "ignorants" , I'd say that sums up who you are. Lastly, I'm not a tough guy until someone challenges my ethics in an open forum. I will address that every time.

Last edited:
This issue is dead for the year. We have a real issue with our new Gov. and his ideas of how deer management should be handled.
Can we take some of this time & energy being wasted on this thread and make sure our friends are contacting Branstad.

Yea Cedar as usual you avoid the questions and issues. Typical blowhard. And the word is "ignorance" not "ignorants" , I'd say that sums up who you are. Lastly, I'm not a tough guy until someone challenges my ethics in an open forum. I will address that every time.
I live in eastern Iowa every day of every year. If you would like to have this conversation face to face just PM me. I am more than happy to shut your mouth once and for all. Then we will see who is hiding behind a keyboard. Name the day; i'll be there!

Top Bottom