Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hf 327 & sf219

Ironwood where do you stand?

Ironwood: I am pretty sure that you called and e-mailed me when I was looking into buying a farm in Iowa. Why would you come on a site and bash NR continually, then expect them to do business with you.

The realtor that I bought the farm through was extremely supportive of R and NR hunters, and has become what I would call a friend. He has been very helpful.

You want us to buy farms so you can make $$, but then you come on here and bash NRLO's...not sure that is a good business strategy??

I suppose since most people on this site don't want the state laws to change to favor only NRLO then we all must hate NR. That is an interesting sense of reasoning right there. I for one do not have a problem with non-residents. In fact I help a few guys out every 2 or 3 years when they draw a tag. I get them permission on a couple of farms and even help hang their stands. They are allowed to hunt any of my stands as well. These are guys I didn't know until I had a chance meeting with them and we became friends while they were here hunting Iowa whitetails. The difference here is that they are not constantly trying to tell me why Iowa needs to change the laws for their benefit. I just spoke to one of them yesterday and asked them their opinion on the bills in question and they hope very much these bills don't pass. The way they see it is that Iowa has something good going right now so why change it. They also think the passage of this bill will kill any chance they will ever have drawing a tag.

Now tell me why is it so hard for some to realize that the vast majority of members on IW do not hate the NR. What most do hate is being told that we the state of Iowa should change our laws to benefit the NR.

Pretty tough to understand isn't it?

I have sent one email to my Senator who is on the committee, and his failure to respond has me concerned.

I was talking to a friend last night and he mentioned he was concerned that he got a brief, two line email reply. I told him that I have yet to get a reply, but that isn't stopping me. I have been very cordial and respectful, so I just figure they are reading lots of emails, probably don't have time to respond to every one of them with what all is going on in DSM lately. I have been typing original emails instead of straight copy/pastes, which I think they might have a tendency to skip if they recognize the format. I sent out 9 or 10 emails yesterday. Maybe they have a tally sheet next to their computer and are putting hash marks under the columns of "for" and "against".

It is interesting that I keep hearing this mentality that says " It was that way when you bought your property and that's the way it should always be" I remember when I bought my property there was a NR archery "doe only" season.... Some NRs were abusing this so the DNR eliminated it..... So I guess my point is that things will always change and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose... but asking to change something doesn't make you bad or wrong....

Originally Posted by 150 Class
I have sent one email to my Senator who is on the committee, and his failure to respond has me concerned.

I can't get Senator Hamerlinck to respond. Maybe we can get him a few more from here. He is on the Natural Resource Committee.

It is interesting that I keep hearing this mentality that says " It was that way when you bought your property and that's the way it should always be" I remember when I bought my property there was a NR archery "doe only" season.... Some NRs were abusing this so the DNR eliminated it..... So I guess my point is that things will always change and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose... but asking to change something doesn't make you bad or wrong....
There is no reason for a change. If i asked you for your wallet; does that make me a bad person? I'm the only person to gain anything if you give it to me! I'm not going to give you $20 back. I'm not going to give anybody else anything from the wallet either. What makes you or any other nrlo think you should have the right to change the hunting regulations in a state you do not live or pay income taxes in? Don't tell me it's the property taxes you pay! Many of you have your land in timber reserve, and crp programs. That means your not even paying property taxes, and receiving government money to own it.

I can't get Senator Hamerlinck to respond. Maybe we can get him a few more from here. He is on the Natural Resource Committee.

I have also sent Sen. Hamerlinck an email along with rest of the natural resource committee members. So far only Dearden and Black have responded on the Senate side and only Rep Kelley on the house side. It seems like I get a response from maybe 1/3 of the committee members typically.

Iowa

There is no reason for a change. If i asked you for your wallet; does that make me a bad person? I'm the only person to gain anything if you give it to me! I'm not going to give you $20 back. I'm not going to give anybody else anything from the wallet either. What makes you or any other nrlo think you should have the right to change the hunting regulations in a state you do not live or pay income taxes in? Don't tell me it's the property taxes you pay! Many of you have your land in timber reserve, and crp programs. That means your not even paying property taxes, and receiving government money to own it.

That is of course just your own opinion, there is always someone else in your own state that has the contrary opinion to you. The one congressman said he has heard more from your opposition...you may be in the minority on this. Just because a bunch of guys on iowawhitetail do not want more NR tags, doesn't mean everyone in Iowa agrees with you.

Also, you pay property taxes on CRP...who gave you that false information?

What makes you or any other nrlo think you should have the right to change the hunting regulations in a state you do not live or pay income taxes in? Don't tell me it's the property taxes you pay! Many of you have your land in timber reserve, and crp programs. That means your not even paying property taxes, and receiving government money to own it.

I believe it is the Bill of Rights in the US Constitution....... First and fourteenth Amendments.......

Guys, attack away. Your anti NR rhetoric doesn't phase me. I could care less if anything changes. If it does, it does, if it doesn't, oh well. See you in December either way.

Not wanting anyone to think any of my comments are anti NR, nor anti NR landowner. They are not meant to be written or taken that way.

I am however very anti HF 327 & SF 219, as should be most resident hunters and most NR hunters. The majority of us who frequent this site probably have this same opinion and we need to be heard. There is no doubt, should this pass, it will benefit some individuals.

Also, you pay property taxes on CRP...who gave you that false information?
Please; i know you pay property taxes on crp acres. I grew up on a two farm setup in Iowa. I now own a farm myself in Iowa. You don't pay taxes on timber reserve, and you receive goverment payments for crp. Tell me if you do pay Iowa property taxes, how much is it? I'm pretty sure the crp more than makes up the small tax payment. If you guys want to help Iowa's economy; why don't you build a house on your land. Or better yet put up a barn, and actually farm the land. A person can't even call you guys hobby farmers. You don't live on the land, and most don't know anything about farming; just receiving your crp or rent money. But what am i thinking; nobody said the nrlo's want to help the Iowa economy. Just receive a benefit because they feel justified!

Cedarcreek, you make assertions, accusations and speculate without knowing the details regarding any NR or NRLO. The only person on this site who seems to be feel justified is you.
You represent the closed minded and intolerant who in the end because you wouldn't realize that times do change, and who wouldn't enter into civil debate, will be wondering what happened when the change does come.

Last edited:
Cedarcreek, you're a blow hard that has zero facts. You make assertions, accusations and speculate without knowing the details regarding any NR or NRLO. The only person on this site who seems to be feel justified is you.
You represent the closed minded and intolerant who in the end because you wouldn't realize that times do change, and who wouldn't enter into civil debate, will be wondering what happened when the change does come.

There is no need for name calling.
Try to show some class on here.

Please; i know you pay property taxes on crp acres. I grew up on a two farm setup in Iowa. I now own a farm myself in Iowa. You don't pay taxes on timber reserve, and you receive goverment payments for crp. Tell me if you do pay Iowa property taxes, how much is it? I'm pretty sure the crp more than makes up the small tax payment. If you guys want to help Iowa's economy; why don't you build a house on your land. Or better yet put up a barn, and actually farm the land. A person can't even call you guys hobby farmers. You don't live on the land, and most don't know anything about farming; just receiving your crp or rent money. But what am i thinking; nobody said the nrlo's want to help the Iowa economy. Just receive a benefit because they feel justified!

Cedar, you must not know any NRLO because you’re clueless. Don’t take this as bragging but you asked and clearly have no idea what people are really spending on their land. Yes I make money off my CRP contract but I could make probably $25,000 more a year if I row cropped. The CRP is great for all wildlife so don’t put down people for enrolling in it. The NRLO I bought my land from did zero work on the property, collected his CRP payment and that’s it. But the locals got to trespass on it like it was state land. Now it has 85 acres of switchgrass and 15 acres of food plots. Who would you rather have as a neighbor?

Last year I spend the following (not typical but it’s the truth):

Pole Barn: $17,000 used a local builder but could have gone with Morton like most of the barns I see Iowans building. I didn’t because I wanted to support my neighbors.

Water hook-up: $1200 + $400 for trenching and gravel inside barn.

Doing the electrical myself because the local quote was $4k and I can do it for $2k maximum.

I’ve paid my neighbor about $2500 a year for the last 6 years to plant my food plots or rent his equipment.

I purchase my seed, fertilizer, Round-up from the local elevator, about $1000.

This year I have purchased a disk ($2500), cultipacker ($1600), and a broadcast spreader ($1500) all in Iowa. Basically my neighbor is going to lose $3k this year because I’ll be doing my own planting. He kept raising his rates. I bought my tractor in MI because I got a great deal on it and the shipping.

I spend about 20 nights a year in the local motel at $50 a night. They’re also raising their rates so I bought a camper. So that’s another expense I won’t have in the future.

I put 110 acres in the forest reserve 2 years ago. I would seriously reconsider if I could get a tag every year.

Cedarcreek, you make assertions, accusations and speculate without knowing the details regarding any NR or NRLO. The only person on this site who seems to be feel justified is you.
If we're talking about change; how's that NO HUNTING Sudays in Pennsylvania coming along. I guess you local residents are just fine with that. I'd sure hate to see Iowa come to that, but according to most of the nrlo's posting on here change is inevitable. You can call me what you want, but i don't see you for anything but self serving, and self centered. And to answer your question about inheriting my land. I did not, but some might think i stole it for what i paid years ago. And to answer any other questions you might have; yes i farm it.

And to answer your question about inheriting my land. I did not, but some might think i stole it for what i paid years ago.

Fair enough. Based on your answer I assume you bought your farm from your family for a low price. If so, that's fine, I would do the same if the opportunity presented itself.
Don't know why you keep bringing up the Sunday hunting thing. Most PA residents support Sunday hunting, if you, or any other NR, can change it for us we would appreciate it.

Fair enough. Based on your answer I assume you bought your farm from your family for a low price. If so, that's fine, I would do the same if the opportunity presented itself.
Don't know why you keep bringing up the Sunday hunting thing. Most PA residents support Sunday hunting, if you, or any other NR, can change it for us we would appreciate it.
And yet you can't get the regulations changed in your own state, but you know what's best for Iowa because you own 80 acres of land here. You would like outside help to support a regulation you can't change as a resident. There goes that everything changes theory! At least in PA. I guess that's why you purchased land in Iowa, and knows what's best for our regulations. I'm sure glad you don't have a vote in this state.

Top Bottom