Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hf 327 & sf219

So does that mean the bill is dead for the year, or will something else come up? What about the proposed feeding ban?

Feeding ban never had any legs. It is done. HF 327 and SF 219 for all out ward appearances are going nowhere. The trouble with coming right out and proclaiming that is if they resurface again in an amendment of some kind to another bill, after funnel dates, then it could be more difficult to rally the troops. A no victories yet attitude will keep all on guard.

So....If this is headed for a compromise

What do the resident landowners (myself included) and NRLO suggest? I seem to hear a common theme from all the NRLOs that they just want "to be able to hunt their farm every year and help to manage the herd". What about

1. (3) free/greatly reduced antlerless tags every year
2. (1) any sex tag good for either archery/shotgun 1&2/or late muzzy every other year at $1000 (don't really care what they'll charge, I assume it will be high though)

3. Increase the cost for resident tags to generate additional revenue for the state ( I have no problem paying more for each of my tags if it discourages legislators from pimping Iowa's deer herd out)

I think the bulk of resident landowners think a gauranteed tag each year would be a net negative impact on the state, but what can we agree on as a compromise/or do we think if we give an inch, it will be "Katy Bar the Door" going forward?

For all the NRLO relying on the "resident LO get 3 buck tags a year", I've owned my farm since 2003 and have never chosen to fill all 3 tags with antlered deer (maybe I am in the minority on that-but I have always filled 1-2 with antlerless deer by choice).

I look forward to your thoughts/opinions (Resident and Non-resident).

For all the NRLO relying on the "resident LO get 3 buck tags a year", I've owned my farm since 2003 and have never chosen to fill all 3 tags with antlered deer (maybe I am in the minority on that-but I have always filled 1-2 with antlerless deer by choice).

I look forward to your thoughts/opinions (Resident and Non-resident).[/QUOTE]

It sure would be nice to have a choice.... Why not a free ($1000) either sex tag each year and then the NRLO would have a choice too..... You should all be saving your ammo for the addional 4000 NR licenses the DNR is proposing for next season!!!

Increase the cost for resident tags to generate additional revenue for the state ( I have no problem paying more for each of my tags if it discourages legislators from pimping Iowa's deer herd out)

As a resident (semi-landowner, family owns land) I'd be more than happy to pay increased tags if it meant keeping the regulations as they are now but as you mentioned would this just be the first slip in a big down hill slope? States and DNRs are broke all over and need money, someone is going to have to help them out... I'm not sure what the best answer is. I'm curious to see others thoughts on this as well.

I don't know of any resident landowners that fill 3 anysex tags a year with bucks either?

[/QUOTE]

It sure would be nice to have a choice.... Why not a free ($1000) either sex tag each year and then the NRLO would have a choice too..... You should all be saving your ammo for the addional 4000 NR licenses the DNR is proposing for next season!!![/QUOTE]

How many non resident landowners do you think are out there in the state? And if each of them were guarenteed a tag how many do you think there would be? I dont know the actual numbers, but if they were guarenteed a tag I can think of 10 guys that would be buying land right now! This would open the flood gates and alot of resident hunters would be displaced. And that is what the state of Iowa dosent need.

Granted, most people want a bow tag, but a gun really isnt that hard to get. I know of at least one guy who has drawn for the last 4 or 5 years in a row.

This is what I don't get. Do they really need money or do they just want to buy more land.

From bill SF219:

Fifty percent of the license fees collected pursuant to 24 this section and deposited in the Iowa resources enhancement 25 and protection fund created pursuant to section 455A.18 shall 26 be allocated to the open spaces account created in section 27 455A.19 to be used for the purpose of land acquisition by the 28 state.

This is what I don't get. Do they really need money or do they just want to buy more land.

From bill SF219:

Fifty percent of the license fees collected pursuant to 24 this section and deposited in the Iowa resources enhancement 25 and protection fund created pursuant to section 455A.18 shall 26 be allocated to the open spaces account created in section 27 455A.19 to be used for the purpose of land acquisition by the 28 state.

To try a sway some residents by saying there would be more public hunting ground is my thinking.

I said all along to pick your poison, change is coming! NRLO getting a tag is not going to fuel the outfitting business and that is what ruined the other states! We need to worry about the extra 6000 tags going to nr not the 1000 dollar nrlo tag to hunt only there land! When the outfitters have enough clients to justify leasing and buying more land that is when you will lose the most access.I realize some access will be lost either way but more tags will bring more nrlo tags and greedy outfitters to service the nr hunters! One of these is going to happen. They need money and are going to get it from either the nr or nrlo.

NRLO getting a tag is not going to fuel the outfitting business and that is what ruined the other states! .

Right on the money. There is not enough NRLO's to impact access. Some will be impacted but not a ton. The outfitters however offering every farmer in a section money to lease will crush access.

Why not cap the current NRLO tags that will be offered at the number they are presently, keep NR tags at 6K, and cap outfitters per zone.

I look forward to your thoughts/opinions (Resident and Non-resident).

It sure would be nice to have a choice.... Why not a free ($1000) either sex tag each year and then the NRLO would have a choice too..... You should all be saving your ammo for the addional 4000 NR licenses the DNR is proposing for next season!!!

Yes - you are correct, it's nice to have choices, I made the choice to move to Iowa from a neighboring state in 2000. My family and I enjoy the people and the area, it is a wonderful place to raise a family.

Last edited:
Right on the money. There is not enough NRLO's to impact access. Some will be impacted but not a ton. The outfitters however offering every farmer in a section money to lease will crush access.

Why not cap the current NRLO tags that will be offered at the number they are presently, keep NR tags at 6K, and cap outfitters per zone.

Jdubs- valid points about the outfitters, I don't think I am as concerned about the current number of NRLO's impacting access as I am the influx of NRLO that would occur virtually over-night if there was a gauranteed tag. Talk to any realtor, they have waiting lists if that were to pass. The fact that current NRLO bought your ground with no gauranteed tag speaks to your high regard for Iowa whitetail hunting and your willingness to manage your land the right way. I worry about the "rich guy" that just wants to come down for a long weekend every year and knock something down for his office wall. Too many short-sighted individuals with too much money would be a dangerour combination for Iowa in my opinion.

Duck, I agree. My first comment was cap the current NRLO tags where they are now. For instance, have the legislation read that only NRLO's who have owned their land for at least one year, to prevent the NRLO rush, are eligible for the tag. The one year ownership clause would also prevent NRLO's from breaking large pieces into 80 acre sections with other NR owners to get the annual tag. Once the DNR gets that number, cap it.

Last edited:
Duck, I agree. My first comment was cap the current NRLO tags where they are now. For instance, have the legislation read that only NRLO's who have owned their land for at least one year, to prevent the NRLO rush, are eligible for the tag. The one year ownership clause would also prevent NRLO's from breaking large pieces into 80 acre sections with other NR owners to get the annual tag. Once the DNR gets that number, cap it.
Why open that gate? If there aren't that many nrlo's in Iowa; what's to be gained economically? I don't think Iowa's dnr is in near the financial despair people lead us to believe. Iowa doesn't have near the state and park lands of other states for repair. Iowa hasn't dealt with cwd in their deer herd like neighboring states. I just watched the Wisconsin dnr stating the cwd issue alone used twice their budget. The increased tags and seasons in Iowa have generated more income than previous years. Like so many political things happening in our country right now. I believe much of it is fueled more by greed, and disguised as budget cuts.

Thought people might like to see how the lobbyist have registered on this bill. Just for the record FB went from being FOR to Undecided this week.
Also DNR can no longer take a stance on any issue, that directive came from the Gov.

MARCH 2, 2011 09:18:4284th General Assembly
HF 327A bill for an act providing for special deer hunting licenses forcertain nonresident landowners and providing penalties and anappropriation.Bruce BervenAgainst IA. Cattlemen's Assn. FEBRUARY 28, 2011 12:23:29Diane Ford *(Governor's office)Undecided IA. Dept. of Natural Resources FEBRUARY 28, 2011 10:22:12Don PetersenUndecided IA. Farm Bureau Federation FEBRUARY 28, 2011 15:11:05Jennifer KinglandFor IA. Assn. of Realtors FEBRUARY 28, 2011 10:28:17Joe JohnsonUndecided IA. Farm Bureau Federation FEBRUARY 28, 2011 15:10:49Martin SchwagerUndecided IA. Farm Bureau Federation FEBRUARY 28, 2011 15:11:23Matthew SteinfeldtUndecided IA. Farm Bureau Federation FEBRUARY 28, 2011 15:11:46Michael HellerAgainst IA. Conservation Alliance FEBRUARY 28, 2011 09:44:03Don BrazeltonAgainst IA. Bowhunters Assn. FEBRUARY 23, 2011 09:49:23F. ThorntonFor Friends of IA. Land Owners and Sportsmen FEBRUARY 22, 2011 13:29:39Jerry FitzgeraldUndecided IA. White Tail Deer Assn. FEBRUARY 21, 2011 16:15:36John CacciatoreAgainst State Police Officers Council FEBRUARY 21, 2011 22:26:36Justin HupferAgainst State Police Officers Council FEBRUARY 21, 2011 22:26:36Maggie FitzgeraldUndecided IA. White Tail Deer Assn. FEBRUARY 21, 2011 16:15:36Mark JoyceUndecided IA. White Tail Deer Assn. FEBRUARY 21, 2011 16:15:36

Googled Iowa Whitetail Deer Ass"n cause I wasn't familiar. Their mission statement says it all." To promote Iowa's PRIVATE deer industry." I added the caps.

And by Private I assume you mean the animals they raise in pens? So what do they have in this?? Oh wait, they help support the hunting ranches..What a joke

Top Bottom