Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 414 catfish taken by bow and arrow. Hold over from last year

Should HF 414 alowwing catfish to be taken by Bow and Arrow be approved

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
What legislature has time for this? & personally, I could care less if they want to propose “grenades for catfish”. Silly though. Probably the same ones that would vote for any change to Iowa’s deer season. Wow - maybe they need to take a year off. Or 5. Every year I just think “what crazy stuff they gonna put out this year?!?” On flip side- maybe if they keep messing with fishing - maybe they lay off the deer hunting - the whacko changes?? Hmmmm.
But How bout taking up REAL ISSUES???
Legalize & put huge penalties in place for Robo bucks (self funding & could hire more Dnr with revenue- pay for itself)
Stiffer tresspassing fines.
Laws that impact access to land. Or heck- implementing a lottery & management program for some public lands so they don’t get over hunted to a dangerous degree.
Whatever - how many issues we all face and this is what they spend time on.

Gotta ask...does this legislation open up a season on cats with just regular bows...or are crossbows OK too? :) :)

Gotta ask...does this legislation open up a season on cats with just regular bows...or are crossbows OK too? :) :)
This might classify as a silly bill. I bowfished for years and never had a chance to shoot a catfish.
One time I missed a carp and when I reeled the arrow in I had a small catfish stuck I guess he was in the wrong place at the time. Maybe at night they could be a target with lights......... don’t know.
Agreed there are bigger fish to fry at the state house then this.

Reactions: arm
Only if you're putting a Rage in the Cage with your Ravin R15 crossbow while wearing Scentlok whitecap wave camo. :rolleyes:

This might classify as a silly bill. I bowfished for years and never had a chance to shoot a catfish.
One time I missed a carp and when I reeled the arrow in I had a small catfish stuck I guess he was in the wrong place at the time. Maybe at night they could be a target with lights......... don’t know.
Agreed there are bigger fish to fry at the state house then this.

Just a FWIW...I can't remember very many times where I could have shot a catfish with an arrow, or stabbed one with a spear, but there was this one time...

I was wading in Iowa River back waters, chasing the mighty carp, when I saw a bunch of splashing about 40 yards away from me, but still in quite shallow water. So I waded over that way and discovered that several large catfish were rolling around in a ball of sorts...all trying to take a bite out of a floating fish. I was just about to chuck my spear into the melee when I realized that they were cats, not carps. :) Other than that, I can't think of a time where I could have got one with a bow, so I don't think that the cat population is under threat with this IMO. :)

Top Bottom