Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF 77 Body cameras

Do you support HF 77 body cameras?

• Yes

• No

• Neutral

Results are only viewable after voting.
The cost of the camera usually isn't the problem. It is the cost of storing terabytes of footage and the rules surrounding the footage and the availability of that footage.

The cost of the camera usually isn't the problem. It is the cost of storing terabytes of footage and the rules surrounding the footage and the availability of that footage.

The bill does go into specifics about how long the data must be saved. I think it is 30 days unless there was an "incident" then it is 3 years. It also states that the footage is available to the public, not necessarily public domain, but there are some more rules for what is and isn't public. I'm going from memory of reading it last night.

Currently is there an accepted standard for those rules or is each department different?

The right or wrong of body cameras notwithstanding this looks like an unfunded mandate to me.

Mr hull is correct.. storing the videos becomes the issue, not the purchase or cameras. We have talked about that at our dept. if the city requires it, the camera become priority in the budget, the we have to find the way to store the videos. Which would probably require another position handling videos within the dept strictly... do I think cameras are good ideas, absolutely, but they probably shouldn't be required. I don't think new Sharon PD or sigour ey PD should be required, it should be dept to dept.

Is it the actual physical storage or is it more downloading, indexing, cataloging, cross referencing, researching etc etc that is the issue? I only ask because we all know I'm still living in a cave and painting on walls when it comes to technology. I don't know how many bit/byte/meg/gig/teradactyls of memory an 8 hour shift would require. I'm guessing its more of a labor issue than a size issue and if that is the case somebody someday will come up with a algorithm for storing/retrieval of the info. So until then it sounds like the labor costs would be quite a hardship on LEAs.

I would say its both the physical storage and paying someone to sort all videos out. Determining "incident" over a regular traffic stop and being able to find that specific video, times of videos, etc.

Ex.
Regular traffic stop made, officer asks for consent search. Granted by owner of vehicle, officer issues citation, no problems at traffic stop.
4 mos later, citation taken to court, defendant now says officer did illegal search. That traffic stop that was stored for 30 days is now goneso because there was no problems etc etc...

Storage becomes the issue now. Because you never know how twisted a simple traffic stop is going to get. You have to store crazy amounts of video for stupid amounts of time. Then you have to have the guy to handle that stuff

Is it the actual physical storage or is it more downloading, indexing, cataloging, cross referencing, researching etc etc that is the issue? I only ask because we all know I'm still living in a cave and painting on walls when it comes to technology. I don't know how many bit/byte/meg/gig/teradactyls of memory an 8 hour shift would require. I'm guessing its more of a labor issue than a size issue and if that is the case somebody someday will come up with a algorithm for storing/retrieval of the info. So until then it sounds like the labor costs would be quite a hardship on LEAs.

pteranodonSD.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom