Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF2273 An act relating to the classification or definition of firearms

Should HF2273 Classification of firearms be adopted

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would prevent the NRC or DNR to discriminate on the basis of action type or configuration between firearms that otherwise meet the requirements of barrel length and ammunition.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF2273&ga=87

I'm not sure what they are trying to do. Could it be a way to stop or prevent the NRC/DNR from adopting rules preventing "assault rifles" from hunting? I'm assuming "action" being lever/pump/semi auto loader and "configuration" the AR/AK style of guns?

Please read the bill and help me understand it.

First thing that jumps out is they are using the ATF classifications of weapons. I may be wrong but don't they consider the Remington 700 ultimate muzzleloader a rifle instead of a muzzleloader? Other than that I believe they are doing what you suggest Bonker.

I have a strong feeling that this could be at least in part related to the DNR banning the use of AR style pistols for deer hunting. Up until last year AR style pistols could be used during shotgun and late season muzzleloader as well. But this year the IDNR snuck in a piece of code that related to the classification of what a pistol is and made them and any other pistol with anything protruding behind the pistol grip illegal to deer hunt with.

Just another equal rights bill to hunt deer with every weapon known to man!

Question- which season could these be used in when it passes?

I know the people that were throwing the biggest fit was the ones who made them for the late muzzleloader season. Which I personally don't feel an AR pistol should be used.

Copy and paste of the Administrative Code this bill is trying to rescind (106.7(3)):

106.7(2) Regular gun seasons. Only 10-, 12-, 16- and 20-gauge shotguns shooting single slugs, and straight wall cartridge rifles, muzzleloaders, and handguns as described more fully in 106.7(3), will be permitted for taking deer during the regular gun seasons.

106.7(3) Muzzleloader seasons. Only muzzleloading rifles and muzzleloading pistols will be permitted for taking deer during the early muzzleloader season. During the late muzzleloader season, deer may be taken with a muzzleloading rifle, muzzleloading pistol, centerfire handgun, crossbow or bow as described in 106.7(1).

a. Muzzleloading rifles are defined as flintlock or percussion cap lock muzzleloaded rifles and muskets of not less than .44 and not larger than .775 caliber, shooting single projectiles only.

b. Centerfire handguns must be .357 caliber or larger shooting straight wall cartridges propelling an expanding-type bullet (no full-metal jacket) and complying with all other requirements provided in Iowa Code section 481A.48. In addition, centerfire handguns must be designed to be shot with one hand using a pistol grip and have either:

(1) A cylinder of several chambers brought successively into line with the barrel and discharged with the same hammer; or

(2) A magazine feeding a single chamber integral with the barrel and using either the action of a slide or a bolt action to eject the casing, or having a break action capable of only holding one round.

c. Muzzleloading pistols must be .44 caliber or larger, shooting single projectiles only.

d. Crossbow means a weapon consisting of a bow mounted transversely on a stock or frame and designed to fire a bolt, arrow, or quarrel by the release of the bow string, which is controlled by a mechanical trigger and a working safety. Crossbows equipped with pistol grips and designed to be fired with one hand are illegal for taking or attempting to take deer. All projectiles used in conjunction with a crossbow for deer hunting must be equipped with a broadhead.

e. Legal handgun calibers for hunting deer in Iowa are listed in the department of natural resources’ hunting and trapping regulations booklet published each summer and adopted by reference herein. Centerfire handguns and black powder handguns must have a 4-inch minimum barrel length, and centerfire handguns shall not have any parts that extend beyond the back of the pistol grip. There can be no shoulder stock or long-barrel modifications to any handgun.

In my interpretation, 106.7(2) Regular gun season refers to 106.7(3) when defining a hand gun and 106.7(3b.2) would seem to indicate that the AR style pistol would be legal to use in gun seasons but 106.7(3e) would indicate they would be illegal to use in either season. So, if this bill passes handguns would be regulated by 106.7 (3b).

If anyone is still reading, Iowa Code 481A.48 (which is different than Administrative Code) is the law that directs the Natural Resources Commission to make the Administrative Rule 106.7. Here is the section of Iowa Code:

5. The commission shall establish one or more pistol or revolver seasons for hunting deer as separate firearm seasons or to coincide with one or more other firearm deer hunting seasons. Any pistol or revolver firing a magnum three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of one inch caliber or larger, centerfire, straight wall ammunition propelling an expanding-type bullet is legal for hunting deer during the pistol or revolver seasons. The commission shall adopt rules to allow black powder pistols or revolvers for hunting deer. The rules shall not allow pistols or revolvers with shoulder stock or long-barrel modifications. The barrel length of a pistol or revolver used for deer hunting shall be at least four inches. The rules may limit types of ammunition. A person who is sixteen years of age or less shall not hunt deer with a pistol or revolver. A person possessing a prohibited pistol or revolver while hunting deer commits a scheduled violation under section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph “h”, subparagraph (5). 6. The commission shall adopt rules pursuant to chapter 17A allowing the use of straight wall cartridge rifles to hunt deer as follows: a. A straight wall cartridge rifle may be used to hunt deer during youth and disabled deer hunting season and first and second shotgun deer hunting seasons by a person who has a valid deer hunting license and is otherwise qualified to hunt. b. A straight wall cartridge rifle that is allowed pursuant to this subsection shall be of the same caliber and use the same straight wall ammunition as is allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5. In addition, the commission shall provide, by rule, for the use of straight wall ammunition under this subsection that meets ballistics specifications similar to the requirements for straight wall ammunition allowed for use in a pistol or revolver for hunting deer as provided in subsection 5.

Sorry, PDFs don't copy and paste well.

Here is a link to the published rule change proposal that added 106.7(3e) published on 4/12/17. Comments were open until 5/2/17. https://rules.iowa.gov/Notice/Details/3013C

I found all of this with some time on Google.

Trying to figure this all out makes me kinda :confused::confused::confused::confused: confusalated.

Reactions: arm
Just another equal rights bill to hunt deer with every weapon known to man!

My understanding was that this was originally suppose to change the law back to what it has been in previous years... Meaning you could use any legal pistol including AR style pistols during both shotgun seasons and late muzzleloader seasons. But thee could have been some changes made.

This is the other weapon they are debating on approving. Makes sense. Why not?!? Deer instead of pigs BUT we simply can’t stop adding guns or weapons to the season. One new weapon or season per year MINIMUM is what we really need to add. I was also glad to see tannerite being added as a new weapon and season for the 2019 debate at the legislature.

Trying to figure this all out makes me kinda :confused::confused::confused::confused: confusalated.

I am not so sure that isn't the goal. It will become so complicated and hard to understand, at some point in the future the "simplification" argument will be used to just allow any gun in any season. Semi-auto high powered rifles in early muzzy, gun1, gun2, and late muzzy. At that point it will be hard to stop them from being allowed in bow season.

But, it is "just one minor change now and won't lead to anything else".

This is the other weapon they are debating on approving. Makes sense. Why not?!? Deer instead of pigs BUT we simply can’t stop adding guns or weapons to the season. One new weapon or season per year MINIMUM is what we really need to add. I was also glad to see tannerite being added as a new weapon and season for the 2019 debate at the legislature.

Well see Skip...we NEED this because we have to keep the interest of the youngsters these days, er, this will recruit more "hunters" to the brotherhood, er, "fill in the blank...". :) :) Did I do that right? :)

Well see Skip...we NEED this because we have to keep the interest of the youngsters these days, er, this will recruit more "hunters" to the brotherhood, er, "fill in the blank...". :) :) Did I do that right? :)
Riddle me this Batman.... speaking of keeping interest for kids.... I started hunting- saw no deer most the time. sat and froze & often go a week without seeing a deer. I ate it up and made me try harder to figure deer out. Seeing one would boost my excitement & make me spend more time out - trying to learn and hunt them. Turned into this monster u see today ;).

Today- I see SOME kids who don’t have interest and they have premium ground to hunt & literally could sit in a blind one night and shoot a buck. SOME kids start out with every season, weapon & amazing ground to hunt and it doesn’t hook SOME of them. I just wonder why that is for SOME. Some kids do get hooked hard and I love seeing that. & props to anyone bringing kids out (please don’t anyone take this wrong way!!! Hunting of any kind is just awesome for kids). But - for the kids as a whole: “the state” throwing everything at them in their favor but we still have this “problem” of kids getting into it. Seems counter-intuitive & we have reverse effect.

Hmmmmm. Then- the die hard kids who do love it- it’s increasingly hard to find good hunting if they don’t have family or a connection. And that seems to get worse (right along with liberalizing the regs- interesting.)

I seriously contemplate keeping my own son & daughter off my farm for a lot of the hunts. I am dead serious.... (kinda thinking out loud)..... I’ll pry start with squirrels, etc & .... I seriously wanna do a lot of our hunting on public ground or new ground so they learn it the challenging way. We screw stuff up or have challenging hunting. Can’t quite explain what I’m trying to say but hopefully u understand. NOTHING wrong with any hunting people/kids do BUT- I think we’ll do public and more difficult hunting PRIOR to putting them in a blind they could shoot multiple bucks each sit. Dunno- just saying- challenge & starting small on same page as everyone else seems to be one avenue I want my kids to start with.
I don’t want everything for kids to be made so easy- makes em entitled sissies. Government is trying to do it with everything including hunting.

Just like with work or $.... u darn well better believe my kids gonna be working for someone for minimum wage or something.

BOTTOM LINE ON MY RAMBLE: challenge builds character!!!!

Last edited:

I seriously contemplate keeping my own son & daughter off my farm for a lot of the hunts. I am dead serious.... (kinda thinking out loud)..... I’ll pry start with squirrels, etc & .... I seriously wanna do a lot of our hunting on public ground or new ground so they learn it the challenging way. We screw stuff up or have challenging hunting. Can’t quite explain what I’m trying to say but hopefully u understand. NOTHING wrong with any hunting people/kids do BUT- I think we’ll do public and more difficult hunting PRIOR to putting them in a blind they could shoot multiple bucks each sit. Dunno- just saying- challenge & starting small on same page as everyone else seems to be one avenue I want my kids to start with.
I don’t want everything for kids to be made so easy- makes em entitled sissies. ...

Skip - I like your philosophy here. ^^ BTW, I would be willing to help you out with causing your youngsters to "rough it" for a few years by letting them hunt on my farm...of course, I would then be allowed to hunt on your farm in exchange. :) :) :) Fair is fair, after all. :)

Seriously though...I love the youth season idea, but I feel very much like we sometimes then go on to make everything so easy-peasy for the young hunters and/or emphasizing killing a giant buck or else, that there is little to no character development.

Riddle me this Batman.... speaking of keeping interest for kids.... I started hunting- saw no deer most the time. sat and froze & often go a week without seeing a deer. I ate it up and made me try harder to figure deer out. Seeing one would boost my excitement & make me spend more time out - trying to learn and hunt them. Turned into this monster u see today ;).

Today- I see SOME kids who don’t have interest and they have premium ground to hunt & literally could sit in a blind one night and shoot a buck. SOME kids start out with every season, weapon & amazing ground to hunt and it doesn’t hook SOME of them. I just wonder why that is for SOME. Some kids do get hooked hard and I love seeing that. & props to anyone bringing kids out (please don’t anyone take this wrong way!!! Hunting of any kind is just awesome for kids). But - for the kids as a whole: “the state” throwing everything at them in their favor but we still have this “problem” of kids getting into it. Seems counter-intuitive & we have reverse effect.

Hmmmmm. Then- the die hard kids who do love it- it’s increasingly hard to find good hunting if they don’t have family or a connection. And that seems to get worse (right along with liberalizing the regs- interesting.)

I don’t want everything for kids to be made so easy- makes em entitled sissies. Government is trying to do it with everything including hunting.

Just like with work or $.... u darn well better believe my kids gonna be working for someone for minimum wage or something.

I agree 100% on giving them a little bit of a challenge. I love the youth season giving all the opportunities, but for the kids that aren't completely hooked I see them not wanting to go because they have so much time. The one season that I hunted the youth season, before I hunted the archery season instead, you made darn sure you didn' sleep in or miss a night hunt because you only had 12 weekend sits. It made the drive and madness grow in me and I think that is some of what made me enjoy and love the outdoors like I do now. Many kids with prime land and a never ending season take it for granted and think it's easy to kill one. IMO everyone has that competitive side where they want the challenge whether it be hunting hard on sub-par or pressured land, or having legitimate seasons where they have a limited number of days to get it done. All just my opinion

Thing is for most if not all that will truly be drawn to and addicted as many of us are it's not about the harvest .it's about what goes into it, the challenge, the HUNT. I started sitting on the ground, no camo, not stands, no real knowledge. Just my 135$ Fred Bear. I know of quite a few pampered young hunters. Most are forced to hunt, most couldnt care less. I'm letting my kids decide, tell you what they ask more and more each year. I won't let my kids choose everything they do, but this is one instance I think it needs to be up to them. I couldn't agree more with your post.

I have re read this twice. Maybe I'm a Lil slow. I just can't figure out why this discussion turned into a discussion about our youth?.?. I agree with many of the post above but can't see how it got turned towards our youth? We seem to be pretty hard on the kids, but am I missing something. We are letting ADULTS use rifles in iowa. We want to say how kids need to earn, how to work, learn that you don't always get a price, lifes not easy. Don't get me wrong, not everything has to be easy for these kids but let's not get confused as to what this original post that Bonker put up is about. Like I said before, maybe I'm missing something!

A person possessing a prohibited pistol or revolver while hunting deer commits a scheduled violation under section 805.8B, subsection 3, paragraph “h”, subparagraph (5).

I do struggle with this piece. I thought they changed it to where a person with carry permit could carry what they wanted and how they wanted. Perhaps that is elsewhere in our laws and trumps this little blurb.

The rest of it, I support. Unless I am reading it wrong, it is not allowing more choices of legal guns, it is just keeping what should already be legal, legal.

Top Bottom