Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HF716/necked cartridge update

Is this what we need flying around rural Iowa?
6d34a13aada36a962dfd25f6fdbca857.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You introduce thr big stuff it gets killed. Then the next year you introduce the less scary "small stuff" and the opposition won't be as strong.

Posted this in other thread too. Please write in folks!!!
WOW!!!! I believe this is accurate.... please correct me if I’m wrong ..... passed to me from a guy in this district....
This Bill or Legislation has been pushed by Matt Windschitl from Harrison county. Same guy who pushed to get straight wall cartridges through. HIS DAD OWNS A GUN SHOP.
If true- this is the SAME GUY that said he wanted straight wall cartridges because he cared about his kids having firearms that didn’t have a lot of recoil & allowed them to hunt. Same guy that while pushing straight walls last year said he wouldn’t want anything beyond that.
Of course this bill has huge support from our pals at farm bureau. No surprise there.
Please correct me if this information is not right. There’s so many reasons this bill stinks but this is just yet another reason these politicians gotta be stopped with their insanity at the expense of our resource!!

A little back round on the guy.

http://www.iowahouserepublicans.com/members/matt-windschitl

His name is on about any piece of pro gun legislation out there. In a lot of ways he seems like a guy I could support. He's a trained gun smith, a legislator that knows what he's talking about when it comes to guns. To bad he appears to give no thoughts to conservation or preserving and enhancing hunting and hunting opportunity in the state.

He's a hunting snowflake that wants everyone to get their trophy. How did anyone ever kill a deer before this guy came around?

So I sent my email. Got a pretty quick response from one of the senators asking me to call. Just had a good 10 minute conversation. I will go testify at the subcommittee meeting if my schedule allows.

Senator confirmed above is correct regarding Matt Windschitl.
I really hope you can make it.

OK, so who knows, maybe the LIMITLESS CASE LENGTH bill was introduced by someone who thought the legislators had no idea what a case length limit meant in regards to centerfire cartridges? Then the flood gates would open up on .375 to .50 cal centerfire cartridges being used during gun seasons.

If these legislators vote on a bill, not knowing what a LIMITLESS case length law will allow, the bill would get passed. And it would be over...the next logical step would be to allow all neck cartridges WITH NO CASE LENGTH LIMIT.

If you can show the legislators the size difference, as well as the limited range, of a 12 gauge slug, 450 Bushmaster compared to a cartridge like the 375 RUM or 416 Barret. That would be make a huge statement is swaying their opinion and knowledge on what they are voting for.

How would some of the legislators know that a LIMITLESS CASE LENGTH in a necked .375 to .50 cal cartidge would allow a 2 mile cartridge like the 416 Barrett to be used during the Iowa gun season? How would they know that?
Heck I'm guessing some of the avid hunters on this forum didn't recognize that...so how could the legislator who doesn't hunt or know anything about guns/cartridges?

I don't know how that would work.. but they need to see the cartridge size difference AS WELL AS the ballistics difference between a 12 gauge slug and 450 Bushmaster coompared to the 375 RUM and 416 Barrett.

OK, so who knows, maybe the LIMITLESS CASE LENGTH bill was introduced by someone who thought the legislators had no idea what a case length limit meant in regards to centerfire cartridges? Then the flood gates would open up on .375 to .50 cal centerfire cartridges being used during gun seasons.

If these legislators vote on a bill, not knowing what a LIMITLESS case length law will allow, the bill would get passed. And it would be over...the next logical step would be to allow all neck cartridges WITH NO CASE LENGTH LIMIT.

If you can show the legislators the size difference, as well as the limited range, of a 12 gauge slug, 450 Bushmaster compared to a cartridge like the 375 RUM or 416 Barret. That would be make a huge statement is swaying their opinion and knowledge on what they are voting for.

How would some of the legislators know that a LIMITLESS CASE LENGTH in a necked .375 to .50 cal cartidge would allow a 2 mile cartridge like the 416 Barrett to be used during the Iowa gun season? How would they know that?
Heck I'm guessing some of the avid hunters on this forum didn't recognize that...so how could the legislator who doesn't hunt or know anything about guns/cartridges?

I don't know how that would work.. but they need to see the cartridge size difference AS WELL AS the ballistics difference between a 12 gauge slug and 450 Bushmaster coompared to the 375 RUM and 416 Barrett.
Someone get me a 416 so I can take it with me!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So I sent my email. Got a pretty quick response from one of the senators asking me to call. Just had a good 10 minute conversation. I will go testify at the subcommittee meeting if my schedule allows.

Senator confirmed above is correct regarding Matt Windschitl.
I hope you can make it!!

Hope IBH1983 can make it. Maybe pull a stunt like one of the later scenes in Shooter.
Kidding of course but a ballistics chart of sorts might not be a bad idea along with effective ranges. I will be sending emails later today. Urge everyone else to so the same.

This is a list of calibers and cartridges this bill would allow without the case length limit. They also had links to Wikipedia pages but I didn't copy as a link. If this has already been posted, well, here it is again.
.40 caliber – .49 caliber[edit]
.50 caliber and larger[edit]

This is a list of calibers and cartridges this bill would allow without the case length limit. They also had links to Wikipedia pages but I didn't copy as a link. If this has already been posted, well, here it is again.

Finally, an Iowa opportunity to use that elephant gun that has just been collecting dust! (SARCASM)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• NOT much on that list that is Kid-Friendly - most of those I wouldn't even want to pull the trigger on - OUCH!

Just wait until you are staring down the barrel at an enraged charging Iowa whitetail, then you’ll be glad you have your nitro.

Just wait until you are staring down the barrel at an enraged charging Iowa whitetail, then you’ll be glad you have your nitro.

No need to have the deer processed - just pull the trigger and it automatically turns it into burger!

So I sent a single email to all of these people and just got off the phone with Senator Claire Celsi. She was very nice to talk to and has been very shocked by the "conservation" bills that have been proposed and passed this year. She is in agreement with my input on this bill and said she'd keep in touch with me and would like me to come speak at the next senate committee meeting to talk specifically against this bill. I live 2 hours from Des Moines so it's not super convenient to make the trip but I'm goin gto try. She said she could give me 24 hrs notice of when the committee will meet again. If I'm not able to make it, anyone else that would be interested in attending and speaking out against this bill? Also speaking out against all the bills that Matt W. keeps proposing and explain how he's doing this out of selfish desires. This crap is annoying to deal with but we're talking major negative impact to the hunting in IA if this passes.

And FYI this won't be the last time a bill like this is proposed. I bet it's an annual deal with small tweaks each year until Matt W. gets what he wants. It's sad. We gotta put up a fight at least and maybe we'll win.

Andrew,

Thank you for sharing your perspective on this proposal. Below you will see the function of the bill by section and this will hopefully clarify my intent behind the bill.

1. It has become necessary to ensure that the regulations the Natural Resources Commission propose and the Rules Review Committee adopts match up with the federal definitions of firearms. In some circumstances the Commission has proposed rules that redefined certain weapons and those rules did not comport with the standards and definitions adopted by the BATFE. This created confusion for outdoorsmen in regards to which weapons would qualify during the varied hunting seasons.

2. The proposal clarifies the minimum length of barrel (four inches), caliber range (.350-.500 diameter) and the minimum muzzle energy (500 foot pounds or higher) necessary that can be used for the taking of deer with a pistol or revolver. This will allow other types of ammunition to be used that are not specifically “straight-wall”, and that can be utilized to ethically and humanely take deer.

3. The proposal also brings us in line with the current practice for a parent taking their minor child hunting with a shotgun or other weapon and extends those provisions to hunting with a pistol or revolver. This provision references back to changes we made in the code in 2017 which allows for a parent to make the decision about when to teach their minor child proper firearm safety and hunting practices.

4. The final provision clarifies that when the Commission adopts rules for the use of rifles for taking deer that those rules comport with the caliber requirements set forth in the second bullet point above. This in no way allows for other high power rifles to be used for the taking of game in the state, but creates uniformity in the standards.

From my perspective we need to be encouraging the younger generations to take up the outdoorsman’s traditions and conservation practices and this bill will certainly open up some of those opportunities within reason. This is not a personal issue for me as I do not currently hunt, so I have no agenda other than allowing Iowans more freedoms and opportunities to enjoy our great outdoors and carry on generational traditions.

Hopefully this provides clarity to the situation. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions. Have a beautiful day.

Sincerely,

Matt Windschitl

Top Bottom