Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hog Gun Loads?

OneCam

Bowhunt you are going to have a great time. I can't help you regarding gun loads but I used Rocket Heads on two Hogs during a recent hunting trip .

The first was a large sow with a live weight in excess of 220lbs. I used a steelhead and the shot was a pass through, burying 1/2 the arrow into the mudd. The Sow made it less than 50 yards.

The second was a medium sow with a live weight around 150+-. I used a Rocket sidewinder with a 1 1/2 inch cutting diameter. This arrow passed through as well but did not have the energy to bury itself in the ground. This sow also made it less than 50 yards.

Both hits were on a broadside animal just behind the armpit.

So in my opinion stick with your current setup but make sure to take only broadside or slightly quartering away shots. Also make sure to aim low on the hog as their vitals begin just above mid body (low compared to a deer). DO NOT try to shoot a steep downward shot through the shoulders or loin area, as you will most likely get a double lung shot or a recovery for that matter.

Have a great time and let us know about your hunt when it's over.

OneCam

I am headed to Georgia here in a couple of weeks to do some hog hunting. I am taking a bow, muzzleloader, and my rifle.

I am currently shooting a 240 grain w/100 grains pyrodex out of my knight disc 50 cal. I really like this load out of my muzzleloader! It shoots awesome, and does alot of damage!

I am also have my rifle shooting 150 grain 30-06 loads. I have been told to move this up to 180 grain bullet, and I was going to shoot remington core-lokt out of it. Would 150 work, or should I move up?

I am shooting rocket steelheads out of my bow, but have been told to go with a cut on impact for my broadhead. Would you change?

This is my first trip, and I would like to take a hog with my bow! I am just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on loads or broadheads.

The only hog I ever shot with a rifle was with a 180 grain from a 30.06. About a 125 yd. shot. It put..."Paid In Full" on him.
wink.gif

If all goes as planned, I'll be stationed at Fort Benning, GA by July 2004. I'd like to get some hog hunting done while I'm down there. I was wondering. Would a rifle chambered in .243 Win be adequate?

I was thinking that it would be. Heck. The world record elk was taken with a .243. How much tougher can a lil' ol' hog be?
smile.gif

It all depends on if the hog is a 125 pound feral hog or a 450 pound Russian. The motto; "always use enough gun" is wise. The range is usually not long so why not use a full patch heavy slug in the PB gun?

The 243 will do the trick, but I'd rather have a mich heavier bullet if the hog is comming head on at full speed!

I would only change out the broadhead if it was mechanical.

Top Bottom