Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homebrew build 101

vman

Ill be adding to this as I go so be patient and hang in there all the information will show up.

I encourage all members that have built a cam or two to post a pic of there units. A picture is priceless!
grin.gif

Lets first start with a parts list.
1. The camera itself.
There are many models that will work. The sony p41 is the first choice. They bring a premium on Ebay but deals can be found. These are first choice due to trigger speed and the ability to use large memory cards. Price $130-170.

The next model is the sony p32. This model is a little slower than the p41 and larger memory cards tend to affect the trigger speed as well. Flash distance is good. Ebay price ranges from $75-100.

The next choice is the sony p31. While its a great camera, its very diffacult to hack. I DO NOT RECCOMMED THIS FOR A BEGINNER. Speed is the same as the p32 but you are limited to a 64mb card as the max size.

The next model is the olympus d380. This is the fastest triggering camera, under a 1 sec. It needs lots of batteries though and the picture quality is not as good as the sony's.

2. The case.
There are alot of different cases out there. The sonys all fit into a pelican 1040. Depending on what you want you can get them in plain black from www.cases4less.com. Camo models are also available from trailsendcams.com Trailsendcams also sells the cases precut in the vertical position. Other camo case companies are www.camocases.com and www.whitetailsupply.com

3. The main electronics.
My personal choice is the BG-2. It is available from www.hagshouse.com The board detects motion and turns the camera on/off and makes the camera take a picture. It is the heart of the trailcam. There are other boards out there but this build will feature the BG2.

4. Accessories

Other items needed are as follows and are available form www.hagshouse.com
1. Board mounting kit.
2. 3-wire servo
3. sony shutter assembly
4. Two pieces of glass for the shutter and flash holes. You can use a flash enhancer for the flash hole but it is not needed and I do not use them myself.
5. A couple of the u-bolts for hanging.
6. The rope and rope ratchet for hanging on the tree. These are 1000 times better than a bungee.
7. 9 volt battery holder.

5. Tools needed.
1. Soldering iron if your planning on doing the modifications yourself.
2. Drill and drill bits. Three 1 inch holes will need to be cut in the case for the glass and frensel lens.
3. Carpet tape or 3m ppt1100 tape from hagshouse.
4. Glass sealer. I like the E6000 glue from menards, marine goop will also work

Cutting the case

The first thing you need to do is layout the pieces of the camera. Gather the camera, the bg2 and the battery holder. Place them in the case to identify what the best fit is. The following picture details my layout.
396DSC03146-med.JPG

Next, attach the u-bolts that will be used to secure the camera to the tree. I use the u-bolts from hagshouse.com. These need to be put up as high as possible on the sides of the case(esp with a p32). I like to use the top rib of the case to align the u-bolt. Use a marker to mark the location where the holes will need to be drilled.
396DSC03154-med.JPG

396DSC03156-med.JPG

Now drill the holes out using a drill bit. I do this with the case closed and the rubber liner in. Make sure everything else is out of the case.
396DSC03157-med.JPG

Now remove the liner and remove the excess liner material. You need to make sure that no liner material can come in contact with the u-bolts.

396DSC03158-med.JPG

Next, test run the u-bolts. Go ahead and tighten them up and see how they fit. You may notice some of the liner coming up out of the the case. If this happens remove some more of the excess liner material. It is also important to know that you will not be able to over tighten the nuts. If you do you can cause the liner to protrude from the case. When you like the fit, remove the u-bolts and dip the treads in the E-600 sealant(or whatever you purchased to seal the glass) and replace them and tighten them down for good.
396DSC03160-med.JPG

Now Lets cut the holes. Replace the camera in the case. Next get a washer and add some carpet tape to one side. Place the washer over the camera lens and close the case. Press down on the camera. This should force the washer to stick to the lid and allow you to mark the center for drilling.

396DSC03147-med.JPG

396DSC03148-med.JPG

Now repeat this for the flash as well.

With that done its time to mark the bg2. There are templates that can be found Here . Use these to mark the standoffs and the center ens hole. When everything is marked use a small drill bit and drill all the markings.

396DSC03150-med.JPG

Now you can drill the lens, flash and sensor holes. Just remember to drill the correct center hole for the sensor
grin.gif
When these are done use a razor blade to clean them up.
396DSC03151-med.JPG

Place the foam inside the case and mark the holes we just cut. Also remember to mark the three standoff holes as well. I use a sharpie and have a special drill bit to cut the foam, a razor blade will do just fine though. Take your time and you will end up with a nice clean finish.

396DSC03152-med.JPG

396DSC03153-med.JPG

Next place some carpet tape over the three holes and cut out the centers.
396DSC03161-med.JPG

Now place the glass over the cameras flash and shutter hole. A flash enhancer can be used in place of the flash glass but this is not necessary.

Its now time to set the sensors frensel lens. This is a critical step. The center of the lens needs to be in the center of the sensor(not the center of the hole in the case). Place the lens on the carpet tape but only put minimal pressure of the lens. Use the template you used for cutting and make sure the three standoff holes line up and the center of the frensel is over the center hole marking. When everything is lined up remove the excess tape. In the following picture I'm showing my plexiglass template I use for the lens alignment.

396DSC03162-med.JPG

Now go ahead and apply the e600 craft adhesive around the glass. Make sure all side of the glass are covered for a watertight fit. Next make sure you have the three standoff and the screws handy. Apply some sealant around the lens and add the standoffs. Wait for the sealant to dry and perform a watertight test by submerging the case in water.

396DSC03164-med.JPG

After the water test, you can add the foam and the case is now complete!
grin.gif

396DSC03165-med.JPG

Now lets modify the camera. The pictures are for a p41. Here are some detailed instructions as well. P41 p32

Take the servo connector and cut off the female end about 1.25inches.

396DSC00001-med.JPG

Next split the ends and strip a small piece of the shielding off. Once this is done apply a small amount of solder to the bare wires.

396DSC00005-med.JPG

Now solder the female end of the connector to the shutter assembly. You dont need much solder just enough to attach the wires. Make sure there are no points or rough edges. The flatter the solder job the better.
396DSC00009-med.JPG

Now add some electrical tape and your ready to open the camera up.

396DSC00012-med.JPG

Remove the 4 screws and pry open the case.
396DSC00013-med.JPG

Locate the point of exit for the servo connector. I prefer right nexat to the power on light on top. I use a dremal tool to cut a small slit for the wires to go through the case of the camera. Make sure you only cut the plastic.

396DSC00014-med.JPG

Now remove the blue ribbon connector on the top right hand corner. Go slow they do tear.

396DSC00016-med.JPG

Now place the shutter assembly in upside down and all the way to the right. Once its in there replace the blue ribbon cable. Make sure the small wires of the shutter assembly do not get crossed or broken. You may need some extra hands for your first one. Just take your time.

396DSC00017-med.JPG

Now bend the shutter assembly back and fold it over the the left again. You a small piece of electrical tape to hold it in place.

396DSC00018-med.JPG

Now you can slid the wires through the small slit and out the top. Put the two halves of the camera back together again and replace the screws.

396DSC00019-med.JPG

Now its time to test the camera. Plug the connectors together and touch the black and red together, the camera should come on. Now touch the white and the red together and the camera should take a picture.

If everything works use some super glue and glue down the connector. Once its dry add some liquid electrical tape to seal everything up. When using the super glue all you need is a small amount. You dont want that stuff dripping down between the two parts of the camera and into the electronics.

396DSC00021-med.JPG

Now solder the red, black and white wires to the BG1 and your done!

The Red wire=common, the white= shutter, and the black= power.
P41 p32

I would like to add the Sony S40 and S600 to the list. They too are popular right now.
Sony S40 is fairly low priced and an easy hack, around $70 to $90.
Sony S600, great pic quality and great flash, tough hack. Around $100 to $120.

Here are a couple of my homebrews. They are easy and fun to build. Very addicting.

First is a Sony S40 (USB mod) with a Snapshot Sniper board, in a Pelican 1020 case.
SSS,S40,1020_(600_x_450).jpg

Next is an Olympus D370 IR with slave flash, Pix LE board. It is currently AWOL.... Damn thieves.
mad.gif

DSC01813_(600_x_450).jpg

Last is a Sony P41 with a Pix Uni board, in a Pelican 1040.

P4,Pix,1040%201%20(600%20x%20450)%20(600%20x%20450).jpg

Vman, first off thanks for going through this for us. Im assuming you are going to go through this step by step. I for one am very interested in trying this myself w/ a p41. Which brings me to my next question.

Can the p41 be set up for no flash?

Also what ends up being a final cost in building a top end homebrew?

Talltines,
I will go through this step by step. The p32 and p41 can be setup for IR. I have three p32s ive converted now and do like them. You loose the true daytime color and the pics maybe a little grainy at night but for what im using the cams for it is more than enough. Ill post some pics later.

Final cost is around $250 for a p41. It really depends on the cost of the camera itself.

I gotta be honest. That doesn't look as simple splittin' wood, I'll be a buyer not a builder.
grin.gif

All right I got a sony p41 for $140 so Iam now ready to go. What's the next step?

Also vman do you think we could get a closed thread where you just go through all the steps w/ no other postings?

I notice there are two options for the BG-2 boards...do we want the more expensive one?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I notice there are two options for the BG-2 boards...do we want the more expensive one?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No you just need to select the appropriate camera choice.

I think my P-41 is on the way (I paid for it...so I hope it's on it's way
smirk.gif
)

Did some shopping at Hags:

BG2 Complete Board

1. Board mounting kit.
2. 3-wire servo
3. sony shutter assembly
4. Two pieces of glass for the shutter and flash holes. You can use a flash enhancer for the flash hole but it is not needed and I do not use them myself.
6. The rope and rope ratchet for hanging on the tree. These are 1000 times better than a bungee.
8. Fresnel Lens unless your ordering the BG2 board...then it comes with it
cool.gif

Wasn't sure on the size of the glass? So I ordered 1 1/2" (1 1/4 is plenty big enough)

Thinking of going with the 1040 Pre-cut Case from Trails End but it doesn't say what size holes?
confused.gif
(they are 1")

The battery connector is out of stock at Hags...is that a problem (I see it's not on the list)(*** use the 9 volt battery holder connector****)

[ QUOTE ]

The battery connector is out of stock at Hags...is that a problem (I see it's not on the list)

[/ QUOTE ]
You just need to order the one for $1.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The battery connector is out of stock at Hags...is that a problem (I see it's not on the list)

[/ QUOTE ]
You just need to order the one for $1.

[/ QUOTE ]

doah.gif
I did order that one...not sure why I thought I needed both
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
9 volt battery holder w/ 6" leads.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I think my P-41 is on the way (I paid for it...so I hope it's on it's way
smirk.gif
)

Did some shopping at Hags:

BG2 Complete Board

1. Board mounting kit.
2. 3-wire servo
3. sony shutter assembly

Wasn't sure on the size of the glass? So I ordered 1 1/2"

Thinking of going with the 1040 Pre-cut Case from Trails End but it doesn't say what size holes?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did all the same as you and bought all that stuff from hagshouse and I also ordered the trailsend precut 1040. I figure w/ that one being precut I can use it as my example for the uncut ones for the future that are cheaper.

Now on Iowabucks pic of the p41 he has a connection cord from the board to the p41. I don't think that was on your list or do we need it?

Otherwise I'm ready to rock!

[ QUOTE ]
I also ordered the trailsend precut 1040. I figure w/ that one being precut I can use it as my example for the uncut ones for the future that are cheaper.

Now on Iowabucks pic of the p41 he has a connection cord from the board to the p41. I don't think that was on your list or do we need it?

Otherwise I'm ready to rock!

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you think!
waytogo.gif

I'm not sure about the connection cord...but I don't think it works well on the P41?
confused.gif

I'm just going to send my P41 to vman (for hacking)...if it ever gets here...
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
of the p41 he has a connection cord from the board to the p41. I don't think that was on your list or do we need it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its number 2 on the list, or the three wire servo. I prefer this over the stearo jack.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
of the p41 he has a connection cord from the board to the p41. I don't think that was on your list or do we need it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its number 2 on the list, or the three wire servo. I prefer this over the stearo jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it...
busted.gif

Vman, I got a email from hags asking what camera options I want for the bg2 board. I ordered a standard one originally and im not sure what they need for camera options.

Could you please give me some insight as to what you would do or my best options.

Thanks

TT

Talltines,
Sounds like hes wanting to know what camera it will run. when you order the board you need to specify what camera it will operate. Just forward what camera you are planning on using.

Jason

Ok...I haven't asked a "dumb" ?? in awhile...

Do we just send the camera...or the whole assembly to have you do the hacking??

p.s...for an extra 10 spot...can you kind of sit on TP's for awhile so I can catch up
evil.gif

Send me the cam and the board and the other electronics stuff. That way you will not have to worry about soldering anything at all.

What other cam!
grin.gif

Top Bottom