Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homebrew build 101

The milky looking lens is the fresnel. I believe they are included in each BG2 order, which isnt the case with all boards I dont think. If you get it off center it will cut down on your sensor range, but it would still work I believe. The fresnel sort of looks like a bullseye, and should be centered over the PIR sensor. Since your case is predrilled, I imagine if you center the fresnel on the hole it will also be centered on the PIR, but you might want to check.

I would probably trim the rubber liner so you just had the edge left that goes into the rim. That is all that is really sealing the case anyway and the rest will probably be in the way.

[ QUOTE ]
The milky looking lens is the fresnel. I believe they are included in each BG2 order,

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all making sense now! (I think
confused.gif
grin.gif
)

Thanks TP!
waytogo.gif

DT,
Regarding my post at the end of page 4 of this thread, it appears after checking out Hags site that he sells the .65 fresnel exclusively. So, the one you have should be a guarantee to match up with the provided standoffs in order to give you the proper length from the sensor to the lens. Don't forget the ridges in though.

[ QUOTE ]
DT,
Regarding my post at the end of page 4 of this thread, it appears after checking out Hags site that he sells the .65 fresnel exclusively. So, the one you have should be a guarantee to match up with the provided standoffs in order to give you the proper length from the sensor to the lens. Don't forget the ridges in though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for all the help!
waytogo.gif

Here's my first "build" :

FirstCam.jpg

I already bought U bolts so went with TP's idea:

Firstcamoutside.jpg

The P-41 goes in and out so tight I don't see a need for anything to "hold" it in
cool.gif

If anybody see's anything I missed or problem areas...please speak up!

I've got a "box" full to go
blush.gif

To bad I didn't remember to buy a 9 volt battery
blush.gif
blush.gif

Later...
grin.gif

Great work, looks very nice!! You must have put it together pretty quick too. Only thing I'd recommend at this point is to take some night pics to verify you don't have any flash bleed concerns to address. Other than that, you're in the game. Great work man!

[ QUOTE ]
So I want to know from all of you first timers, how bad was it? How much time did it take?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just hung my first HB in a tree!
peace.gif
not_ripe.gif
not_ripe.gif

I "cheated" a little and had vman do the hacking and I bought two pre-drilled cases from Trails End.

It really wasn't that bad but since I am easily confused... I got by with a little help from my friends!

Thanks again everybody!!
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

I used the BG2 board and printed off the BG2 manual and further managed to baffle myself
confused.gif

I finally figured out the "3 minute walk mode"...and the fact that my P-41 switch had been moved when I slid it in the case...after that it was a piece a cake!
cool.gif

I've got 5-6 more to do and part of those I'm going to drill my own cases (using a template made from the TE case)

The hacking however is ALL vmans...not touching that
smirk.gif

Lota fun!
cool.gif
cool.gif

Heck I don't know what all the fuss is about drilling the holes in the cases....

just write a little program:

CNC.jpg

and let the machine do all the work
cool.gif

Drill1040case.jpg

Plus or minus .001...every one exactly like the one before
peace.gif

1040casee.jpg

Just had to give my pal TP a hard time
evil.gif

BTW TP...the one with the most toys...wins!!
not_ripe.gif
not_ripe.gif
not_ripe.gif

The rest of my P-41's and BG2's should be ready soon so I figured I better get busy on my plain Pelicans.

A 30,000 rpm air grinder w/carbide bit works slick to grind the clearance
cool.gif

I sure like the way the P-41 fits in the bottom of the case...snug as a bug in a rug!
grin.gif

S5000028.jpg

Bought some Krylon Camo paint

Sure makes a difference even with just the black.

S5000044.jpg

Maybe I'll try some brown and drab green as well but at least the "shiny" is gone.

Since I used an endmill to "drill" the holes I was able to leave the foam in and paint over it.

Looking good Dbl.
It has been a couple of weeks since I sent my order to Hags with no response to my email. At this rate it will be next fall before I get my Homebrew up.
You and Timberpig will have all the bugs worked out by then I hope. I will just send it to you guys for the Hack job. Hope they come soon my schedule is starting to fill up quick.
crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
9 volt X 540mA/hr = 4.86 Watts of power. 540mA / 40uA =13500 hours /24 hours = 562.5 days / 30 = 18.75 months / 12 months = 1.56 years

These are just rough numbers for idle current and do not account for current required for pictures taken so trim them back to about 1 year for the 9 volt

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a little checking on Hags and found Brian Gennings post on 9V versus dble AA's.

No clue what all that means...except for the one year part!
waytogo.gif

I'm finding out that putting 6 homebrews together at once is a little bit of a pain...

ohhh but it hurts so good!
grin.gif

AssemblyLine.jpg

I took a cue from TP and bought some Krylon camo paint in black, brown and green.

Hobbed a spruce bough out my wifes Christmas decorations (shhhhh
evil.gif
)

and sprayed them down using the bough to break it up. Nothing fancy but better then shiny black
cool.gif

HomemadeCamojob.jpg

Almost done putting the various lenses in...but work is limited to evenings and my son and I trying to get the mess cleaned up before my wife gets home from work...
blush.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm finding out that putting 6 homebrews together at once is a little bit of a pain...

ohhh but it hurts so good!
grin.gif

AssemblyLine.jpg

I took a cue from TP and bought some Krylon camo paint in black, brown and green.

Hobbed a spruce bough out my wifes Christmas decorations (shhhhh
evil.gif
)

and sprayed them down using the bough to break it up. Nothing fancy but better then shiny black
cool.gif

HomemadeCamojob.jpg

Almost done putting the various lenses in...but work is limited to evenings and my son and I trying to get the mess cleaned up before my wife gets home from work...
blush.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Those are some great looking enclosers dbltree! Damm; it took me 3 years to build 6 cams. Counting your first build these will make 7. I'm jealous!

Ok guys I have a couple of dumb
smirk.gif
questions on my homebrew.
Using Paul's as a reference (mine is oriented just like it).
I just used the regular glass from Hag's house for the flash. Paul's looks to be a little lighter in color?

When I put the standoffs in do I need to cut out the Carpet tape and set them in or can I put them right on top of the carpet tape and then use the E6000 adhesive? I keep reading on getting the frensal the right distance from the sensor and did not know if this would affect it if I set it on the carpet tape. (I am using the PT tape from Hags also.

Also what holds the battery charger in do you just place it on the carpet tape and glue it down.

Thanks guys I am getting close but don't want to totally screw it up.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys I have a couple of dumb
smirk.gif
questions on my homebrew.
Using Paul's as a reference (mine is oriented just like it).
I just used the regular glass from Hag's house for the flash. Paul's looks to be a little lighter in color?

When I put the standoffs in do I need to cut out the Carpet tape and set them in or can I put them right on top of the carpet tape and then use the E6000 adhesive? I keep reading on getting the frensal the right distance from the sensor and did not know if this would affect it if I set it on the carpet tape. (I am using the PT tape from Hags also.

Also what holds the battery charger in do you just place it on the carpet tape and glue it down.

Thanks guys I am getting close but don't want to totally screw it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No such thing as "dumb" ??'s...I had plenty of them
blush.gif
grin.gif

I used "camo" spray paint (black, brown and green) and used a couple oak leaves to paint the cases.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used the flash enhancer lense

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I trimmed the frensal lense edges and tape so that the standoffs set against the case and used the sealant where the screws go thru the case.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are better ways but I used several layers of carpet tape together to hold the battery case. Little flimsy but I haven't had any real problems with it.

The only problem I've had so far...is remembering where I put the darn things after they are in the woods a month...
blush.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom