Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Homemade Hay Bale Blinds

Rutty

Looking for ideas on Homemade Hay Bale Blinds. Have any of you guys made these? I am currently in the process of making my first one. I am using 2X4's for the frame and stapling cattle panels to them that are bended to create a hoop to mimic a hay bale. What do you guys recommend for the inside of the blind that will cut the wind as well as keep things dark inside. I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible and am planning on making at least 5 blinds. Also, what would you guys recommend for the outer layer of the blind. Has anybody tried erosion mats? If so do they hold up over the years? Where is the cheapest place to buy these mats? Thanks for the help.

Do a search on this site...there have been good threads on this subject in the past that I think you would find very helpful.

I made one. I put black plastic over the cattle panels. Zip tied at the bottoms. That cuts the wind and rain pretty well. Then I wrapped it with chicken wire. (That's what I grew up calling it. Small wire with hexagon shapes). I stuff straw in between the plastic and the chicken wire. Not perfect but it looks decent and it's cheap to replace and maintain.

Cheap black or brown tarp from menards ($10) and the erosion mat. You can get 8, wide by 100ft long roles for $40, that should cover your 5 blinds. You will have to stuff them with additional hay to make them look real good.
If you leave them out year round you will need to restuff the hay every year otherwise it lasts several years

Got mine from a local erosion control company CFG construction.

Find someone building a house or doing some grade work in your area and ask them where they get there erosion blankets, there source was half the cost as anywhere else for me

Kratz

When I built mine, i used thick black plastic, then covered that with tarps, then covered that will the erosion matting. I got double matted erosion matting from Quick Supply up in Johnston. Another place that carries erosion matting is Site One Landscape in West Des Moines. I used about a whole roll of that double matted stuff on mine and it has lasted for about 5 years now. I do cover it with a tarp when I pull it down the interstate doing 75 though.20140910_172043.jpg 20140912_164933.jpg 20140912_183015.jpg 20140913_133220.jpg 20140913_133238.jpg 20140913_133443.jpg 20140913_133539.jpg 20140914_112901.jpg ATT_1424776996563_20150222_124602.jpg 20140913_133457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BaleBlind11.jpg BaleBlind2.jpg BaleBlind3.jpg BaleBlind4.png I built a 4' x 8' base from treated 2x6s and a full sheet of plywood, both sides are also plywood. This thing is right at 6ft tall and heavy but that's OK for our situation, won't need to move it and it'll be able to hold some heat for the really cold days. 2x4s running horizontally between the sides for rigidity with fencing, a tarp and erosion control mat wrapped around. The horizontal 2x4s will also be a frame to some hinged windows I plan to install in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I built mine, i used thick black plastic, then covered that with tarps, then covered that will the erosion matting. I got double matted erosion matting from Quick Supply up in Johnston. Another place that carries erosion matting is Site One Landscape in West Des Moines. I used about a whole roll of that double matted stuff on mine and it has lasted for about 5 years now. I do cover it with a tarp when I pull it down the interstate doing 75 though.View attachment 114342 View attachment 114343 View attachment 114344 View attachment 114345 View attachment 114346 View attachment 114347 View attachment 114348 View attachment 114349 View attachment 114350 View attachment 114351
What did you use for you door system. That's one thing I'm still contemplating but I like the looks of yours

It looks like he used galvanized hinges and tack welded them onto the cattle panel. That's what I did with mine. Works well. Just gotta keep the grass out from in front of the door so it swings.
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2243.JPG

I used some tee posts I had lying around instead of building a wood frame. I just put some scrap osb down as a floor I picked up off a job site.

IMG_2244.JPG

I just bought hinges and welded them to the panels of the door and the frame just like Soil did. For my windows I welded 3 nuts together and made my own hinges. They were big enough for the panel wire to fit in. So I just made my window openings and spaced the nuts far enough apart that you could fit them in there.

Top Bottom