Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hooray for this Dem

iabwhntr

Shooting range boots dad and his daughters

Below is a link to an article in the DM Register yesterday. For those of you that missed it, a father and his 2 daughters were kicked out of the Butch Olofson shooting range (Polk City) for being underage.

I bring this up in relation to a discussion we had on a different post concerning Democrats and gun rights.

It should be noted that (D) Joe Riding, district 30, sponsored a bill to LOWER the age limit from 14 years to 12 years of age making it legal for 12 year olds to use handguns. Unfortunately it failed. It was HF 2012. Not sure who killed it though. (pun intended)

Any way, I thought it was interesting in that it shows that not all democratic reps are anti gun.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...rls-gibson-rifle-shoot-youtube-video/7766031/

P.S. this link has a written portion along with the vid, which I didn't watch.

Last edited:
It may not be a hooray for a dem. He knows it would not pass the democratic controlled senate part of the legislature. Sometimes people bring bills up knowing they won't go anywhere just so they can say I am pro-gun. How about he gets ZOgg out of Cedar Rapids to bring up the gun suppressor bill.

It may not be a hooray for a dem. He knows it would not pass the democratic controlled senate part of the legislature. Sometimes people bring bills up knowing they won't go anywhere just so they can say I am pro-gun. How about he gets ZOgg out of Cedar Rapids to bring up the gun suppressor bill.

Small steps Tim. Small steps. I still hold it up as an example of an elected dem who not anti gun. Think about the statement that is made by a person who is willing to put their name on a bill to put firearms into the hands of even younger children than what is already acceptable. Even if he knew it would fail, it's hard to claim you support gun restrictions when you sponsor something like this.

BTW, my rep Dick Dearden (D) is pro gun as well. I called to chew him out one day and found out he's a big duck hunter and sportsman. Took the wind right out of everything I had worked up to say to him.

Last edited:
Think about the statement that is made by a person who is willing to put their name on a bill to put firearms into the hands of even younger children than what is already acceptable.
Acceptable by who??? There are plenty of 12 year olds that can target shoot with a handgun safely and plenty of 16 year olds that can't. The micro management of everyday decisions by the government just drives me nuts. Accepting this B.S. is what drives Michelle Obama to tell you your kids can't have a candy bar with a school lunch and Mayor Bloomberg to tell you how large of a soda you can drink.

Acceptable by who??? There are plenty of 12 year olds that can target shoot with a handgun safely and plenty of 16 year olds that can't. The micro management of everyday decisions by the government just drives me nuts. Accepting this B.S. is what drives Michelle Obama to tell you your kids can't have a candy bar with a school lunch and Mayor Bloomberg to tell you how large of a soda you can drink.

Iowa law. Specifically this one:

1 An Act relating to the possession of a pistol, revolver,
2 or ammunition by a person under the age of twenty=one in
<A name=" t 3"> 3 certain circumstances and making penalties applicable.
<A name=" t 4"> 4 BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:
<A name=" t "> TLSB 5138YH (3) 85
<A name=" t "> rh/rj

PAG LIN

<A name=" ">
<A name=" ">
<A name=" 1 1"> 1 1 Section 1. Section 724.22, subsection 5, Code 2014, is
<A name=" 1 2"> 1 2 amended to read as follows:
<A name=" 1 3"> 1 3 5. A parent or guardian or spouse who is twenty=one years
<A name=" 1 4"> 1 4 of age or older, of a person fourteen twelve years of age but
<A name=" 1 5"> 1 5 less than twenty=one may allow the person to possess a pistol
<A name=" 1 6"> 1 6 or revolver or the ammunition therefor for any lawful purpose
<A name=" 1 7"> 1 7 while under the direct supervision of the parent or guardian
<A name=" 1 8"> 1 8 or spouse who is twenty=one years of age or older, or while the
<A name=" 1 9"> 1 9 person receives instruction in the proper use thereof from an
<A name=" 1 10"> 1 10 instructor twenty=one years of age or older, with the consent
<A name=" 1 11"> 1 11 of such parent, guardian, or spouse.
<A name=" 1 12"> 1 12 EXPLANATION
<A name=" 1 13"> 1 13 The inclusion of this explanation does not constitute agreement with
<A name=" 1 14"> 1 14 the explanation's substance by the members of the general assembly.
<A name=" 1 15"> 1 15 Under current law, a person 14 years of age but less than 21
<A name=" 1 16"> 1 16 years of age may possess a pistol or revolver or the ammunition
<A name=" 1 17"> 1 17 for the pistol or revolver for any lawful purpose while under
<A name=" 1 18"> 1 18 the direct supervision of the person's parent or guardian or
<A name=" 1 19"> 1 19 spouse who is 21 years of age or older, or while the person
<A name=" 1 20"> 1 20 receives instruction in the proper use of a pistol or revolver
<A name=" 1 21"> 1 21 from an instructor who is 21 or older with the consent of such
<A name=" 1 22"> 1 22 parent, guardian, or spouse. The bill lowers the age limit for
<A name=" 1 23"> 1 23 the person to possess a pistol or revolver or ammunition under
<A name=" 1 24"> 1 24 these circumstances to 12 years of age. Under Code section
<A name=" 1 25"> 1 25 724.22, subsection 2, a person who violates this provision
<A name=" 1 26"> 1 26 commits a serious misdemeanor for a first offense and a class
<A name=" 1 27"> 1 27 "D" felony for second and subsequent offenses.
<A name=" "> LSB 5138YH (3) 85
<A name=" "> rh/rj

In essence, if you let your kids shoot a handgun (long guns are legal) and they aren't 14 years of age, you are (maybe your kids) looking at a class D FELONY for second time offenses.
That's what this bill tried to change.
I talked to Mr. Riding last night for about 15 minutes. The whole reason this was brought up was because of the Izaak Walton League in Elkhart. They have a shooting club that some 80 kids could/would like to join but cannot due to Iowa law. They are too young. So, Mr. Riding set out to get that law changed to lower the legal age to 12. It was shot down because of the wording. The opponents of this want no language for it. Meaning they want to the law to go away completely. That would mean that your 10 year old could take your 8 year to the shooting range for some practice with your 1911.
Mr. Riding is trying to change the law to read no age limit WITH ADULT SUPERVISION.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thought though. There may be a time when we could use some funding, but the paper work to become a 501 C3 non profit is a booger and none of us is smart enough to fill it out.

Top Bottom