Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How close do you get?

Iowabowtech

How close do you try to get on known, roosted birds in the morning before first light? I saw my first strutting activity today. Now I'm pumped. :way:

I don't get any closer then 100 yds, as setting up a blind, decoys, and getting situated, can make a little noise at times, that aren't natural noises. I only bow hunt though, and I like a blind and dekes. Gun hunting, back when I did that, 50 yds and no dekes or blind. Quieter off course.

80-100 yards;not only for reasons of being quiet, but it seems gobblers know which hens and other turkeys flew up the night before near their roost. I like to be far enough away that I can appear to be a hen that may not be in his harem or that he just can't see. If i'm to close, it seems they want you to come to them and won't close the distance.

I used to sneak right to 50 yards but 9/10 times they flew the other way. Now, I usually set up where they are headed like strut zones and wait for them there. Often I see birds that don't gobble at all right off the roost and come sneaking in to known flats or fields corners. With limited time to hunt, I scout hard and find where theyare going and literally wait all morning. Sometimes until noon in one spot with great sign. Taken alot this way but its not video fun-long long sits.

This way I can be less invasive and its not all or none at first light, which I always have felt is the toughest time to kill a gobbler. Most fun and exciting, but actually pulling them in can be tough with the real deal wanting attention at first light. Seems that the hens have their mind made up where they WANT to go and the toms follow,much like real life ;)

I know you bowhunt JJ but run/gun would be easier to slip in and try, get up move etc at first light. But using a ground blind/bow it isn't as easy to move around, but then again I may just be getting lazy :)

Blind or no blind? If blind are you going to set it the night before?

Blind with dekes and I do not set it up the night before on most occasions although maybe once in a blue moon if I have them roosted and have my stuff with me. I actually use basically the same specs as described by HCH and Huntyak, about 100 yds and sometimes even out to proly 200 if I think I have a chance at picking a spot that might intersect 2 separate groups.

Actually, I'm more just getting the itch and was curious how everyone sets up.

Now that I primarily bowhunt I have changed my Tactic. I like to set up in fields where I know they will be at some point in the morning. I will sit right out in the middle of a 300 acre field with my decoys all around me. That is how I like it. This early in the season with no leaves it is tough to get really close. Another problem is if you put a strutting decoy out and that bird can see it from the roost at the crack of dawn, 9 times out of 10 they aren't going to come in. They just sit there and look at it and I feel they see something fishy. Now if you can set up close and now for sure they aren't going to see it, then that isn't so bad.

If there are no fields and I am hunting timber, I try to set up about 100-150 yards to where I know they will most likely go.

Now if I am gun hunting, I will usually try to kill them in the timber. I will get about 75-100 yards away from the bird and try to be where I think he will pitch out of the trees. I won't use any decoys or anything. I never use them gun hunting unless I am taking a beginner and sitting in my blind on a field. I will hunt small fields with a gun but primarily in the timber.

I love running and gunning them its a lot of fun for a change. Sitting in a blind is fun to because you can move freely and do what you please without sitting there for hours trying not to move. Running and bowhunting them is fun too but I don't do that until 4th season when the visibility is low.

I agree very much with what Huntyak is saying. Down through the years I definitely gravitated towards hunting the "spot" v. hunting the "bird". (I have been hunting turkeys in Iowa since the very late '70's, yikes, I am old!)

I know the "spots" by virtue of many years of hunting the same property and/or current knowledge from scouting activities. There was a stretch once where I shot 10 or 11 birds in a row, all after 10:00A in the morning, which was long after many people had gone home since "they weren't gobbling" any longer, etc.

I think you can try to get close to them on the roost, have things go your way and be done by 6:15A and if that doesn't work, there is a morning lull between about 6:30A and 10:00A. If I didn't kill one right off the bat early, then I would take a nap and start paying close attention a
t about 10:00A again.

If you try to get too close on the roost, they may quit gobbling and/or just drift the other way, usually led by the hens.

Interesting post fellas, thanks for the information as I just started hunting turkeys a couple years ago.

im kinda stuck in that where i hunt, i cant run and gun cuz there isnt alot of timber and i dont really feel that the birds are roosting on the land that i hunt. my strategy and its worked great at times other times no, is to get set up where ive had the best luck and just wait them out. i usually can hear a few gobbling off the roost in the area and ive found that i can just sit them out calling once in a while.. ive shot most during the mid day actually. the last one i got was around 8 am than my buddy came and say in my blind and i called one in for him around 11 . season over...than last year we both stuck out so its hit or miss. great fun though sitting there for three hours than hitting the call and having one thunder out at you from 50 yards away that you didnt even see. im getting pumped up now for it. good luck guys

Top Bottom