Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How Do Rivers and Standing Corn Affect Wind

The Silence

PMA Member
I'm trying to decide the best entry to get into a stand and wondered how a river and standing corn will affect the wind. I've never entered a stand through standing corn so I was wondering if you just plan on the wind blowing the same direction but with much less velocity or does the wind tend to blow over the top of corn if you are in the center of a fairly large field.

Secondly, there is a river I could use to access the stand but the bedding area is fairly close by. The river is 25-30 yards wide with steep banks 15-20 feet high, it runs north/south. I would approach from the south. How would the wind be affected if it blew from the north, northwest or the west? I'm just trying to figure out which way my scent will end up going. I've never hunted this area before so I haven't had a chance to test things out yet.

To many variables to give you a definite answer. Your safest entry in my opinion would be the corn. When the the corns out then the river.
Every terrain is different and I check wind often ientering new set ups and when I get on stand and as I do I take notes for future sits.
Also be mentally prepared to back out if it's an important set up if things are not just right as you progress to the stand.
Seen many set ups end up completely different than what I planned because of how the terrain affected the wind movement.

Rivers do strange things with the wind and thermals. You almost have to scout it out and see what it's like for specific winds. I had a stand along a river bend and I have yet to find a good wind for hunting it because of contant swirls. Also, parts of the year the water is cooler than the air and other times it is warmer than the air so that plays into the wind currents/normal thermals as well.
I'd access the corn for now, but if you can drop down into the river below the banks, then that can be bulletproof as well.

Stand is on the east side of the river about 30 yards from the edge. Basically grass for that 30 yards until it reaches a fence line and a strip of timber where my stand is located.

I use the river all the time. My preferred way to access. If careful you leave very little scent, the sound works in your favor, and I find the wind tends to follow the path/direction of the river. Not that this would be the case everywhere but it is here.

Top Bottom