Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many trail cams do you use?

dont you guys with 5 + cammera's end up messing up hunting spot more then helping gain an advantage over the deer. I dont know I have a few camera's but I put them in and check them like once a month. I just worry about messing up the area.

I run 5 cams. I have 4 Stealth Cams and one Leaf River. The Leaf River sits most the time don't like to use it just not as nice as my stealths. Need to get it out though.

Good luck this fall.

Whitetail Heaven, I run the five but I run them in different areas. I am checking them in two to three week time frames and most of the stuff I hunt is public. The stuff that I have persmission on I don't spend a lot of time there. However I also go in scent free to make the odds better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetailheaven</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont you guys with 5 + cammera's end up messing up hunting spot more then helping gain an advantage over the deer. I dont know I have a few camera's but I put them in and check them like once a month. I just worry about messing up the area. </div></div>

I'm running 4 ScoutGuard SG550s and have 2 more on the way. I make my rounds to swap out SD cards on the average of every 4 days. Initially, I wondered if my checking them so often would effect the deer I was capturing on video. It doesn't. More times than not, I'm getting vids of deer hrs after I leave. I used to get vids of deer actually smelling the camera hrs after I was there. I didn't like it (even though the deer never spooked) so I use latex gloves when handling the cams. All my cams are on travel routes and not in bedding/feeding areas so I plan my time of day and approach to and egress from the cameras so I don't walk through where they are bedded/feeding. I go through an average of 80 videos every time I swap cards. I have multiple videos of mature bucks that if they were bothered by my frequent checks, would have changed their movement. It hasn't happened.

Check your cams as if you were hunting. Plan your route to your cams as you would your route to your stand. Wear rubber boots and put gloves on when you touch anything. Check your cams and enjoy what you see... that's all part of the fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I used to get vids of deer actually smelling the camera hrs after I was there. I didn't like it (even though the deer never spooked) so I use latex gloves when handling the cams. </div></div>

Great idea. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

11 Predator Evolution XRs You can not have to many. They were the reason I was able to locate and harvest the two bucks I took this year.

whitetailheaven-
IMO - it does mess up the deer. I think a lot of guys DON'T REALIZE they are messing up the mature bucks, educating them.
For instance, you leave your scent in a core area- it doesn't matter if it's from HUNTING vs CHECKING A TRAIL CAM. Or you bump the deer going in and out of a spot.

Of course you aren't going to spook ALL the deer or ALL the big bucks BUT I believe this extra pressure does far more harm than folks realize.

My solution is I run a few in areas that I don't really hunt- I put them off the road 50 yards for example. I use them for entertainment and INVENTORY purposes only. Less pressure the better!!!!! Like I said, I don't think MOST guys realize that they are doing damage.

That's just my opinion /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

*Inventory of deer is VERY VALUABLE at targeting a mature buck though!!! **Whatever works for folks is great, I just think alot are messing things up and they don't even realize it.

I've acquired 8 cams from purchasing a few every year. I'm going to buy a few more this summer too! They are a wonderful scouting tool, but also a great tool to see what kind of bucks you have running around the properties you hunt! They don't mess up your hunting properties if you run them in the right areas! I can't wait to get them up and running again.....it's only a few weeks away! :)

I've currently got 6 out. Two are Moultrie I40's, the others are P41 homebrews. Another cam came in yesterday, so I'll have 7 out in another few days. That's enough for me, but I'm planning to build a few to sell this year...I really enjoy building them.

We have 2 SG550's and 4 Cuddeback Captures. We try to check them every 3 weeks in the summer but it can be tough. We try our hardest to stay out of the areas as much as possible. During season we only check on the way to or from stands. Or do like Skip and put them in off the wall spots just for inventory and check them every couple weeks. It is tough to sit back and wonder what is on that card waiting to be seen!

What I have and what I use is different. I have 10 cameras all together. 7 WGI, 2 Ltl Acorn, and 1 Moultrie. I have never had a problem with any of my WGI cameras except when it got wet by being thrown in a pool. The Ltl Acorn and the Moultrie were gifts and work. I use 4 of the WGIs. 1 IR4, 2 X6C, and 1 Pulse 10x. The Moultrie is in and out.

I make all my own cams (homebrews) :way:, I run about 8 cams, 4IR and 4 White Flash and I also have 2 IR DXG Video units. I am hunting about 1200 acres and to avoid messing up the deer I never place my cams where I actually plan to hunt, I use them mostly to take inventory of the deer using the property and to try to determine direction of travel and patterns if possible:grin:

Top Bottom