Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How many would like to get back to primative seasons

bowmaker

I see a lot of posts here that some of the people are trying to keep things going, but with 0 replies and my own participation is very lacking along with some of you others. How about this to stir up a little conversation. I was reading about the Knight problems and about how well some like the Savage smokeless rifles and I started thinking, too much. Don't get me wrong with all this, I have a Knight Disc rifle and have used it a lot over the last 10 years to kill my share of deer and like it a lot. The thing that I started thinking about is that with the exception that these modern guns hold only one shot and load from the front end, they don't even resemble the primitive weapons that most of the muzzle loader hunting seasons were originally established for.

Oh man I can hear the "it's perfectly legal, more humane, and harvests more deer to use modern in line guns" train rolling right down the tracks at me already. First let me say that I know all those things, but when different groups approached the Iowa DNR about a special muzzle loader deer season this is not what either side had in mind. No one in 1985, in planning for the first ML season in 1986, envisioned in-line rifles capable of shooting 250 or 300 grain bullets at 2200 or 2500 feet per second into sub one inch groups at one hundred yards. They talked about either original or replicas of different percussion cap or flint lock guns with buck horn sights shooting patched round ball or conical bullets. A hot load was 80 or 90 grains of FFg powder with a ball and shooting a little over 1000 feet per second. It could hit and kill a deer at 100 yards but 50 or 60 yards was a much better shot. These groups wanted a season for them to have fun and try their hand at harvesting a deer the same way that their fore fathers had done. To learn and use woodsman skills to get close enough for their primitive guns to be effective. For the first few years the DNR didn't even sell out all the 5000 licenses available for the season in October, and then Tony Knight came on the scene with the MK85 in line and things changed quickly.

Now a current ML hunter has a T/C, Knight, CVA, or Savage rifle with a camo synthetic stock, a high dollar variable power scope that almost makes it's own daylight, special saboted bullets designed for great ballistics, pelleted powder or pre measured exact smokeless powder charges, 209 primer or hotter rifle primer or even electric ignition systems with faster lock times than many center-fire rifles, and stainless steel fast twist barrels that deliver unbelievable accuracy. I am not saying that any of these things are wrong or immoral, or unethical, just that they are not what was originally intended. My Knight rifle covers all these categories. What I am saying is that maybe it is time that we move backwards, or regress, a little and perhaps consider making the early ML season back into a primitive season again and let those that enjoy that type of hunting have their day again. I would continue the same late ML season for the more modern hunters and as always the modern in-lines could be used for any of the other gun seasons in Iowa.

Ok there it is, my opinion, so fire up the boiler and get the train rolling and I will do my best to defend it if necessary. Thanks to the guys who have been keeping this form alive.

I'll play!!!!! Take nothing personal, just throwing some thoughts out here for debate.

I've seen lots of debates between hunters on different forums and think it is counter productive to hunting in general (crossbows in archery season is a similar example). I'm under the impression that hunter numbers are falling and I say let's recruit more rather than impose restrictions. I guess I fall into the live and let live philosophy of you hunt your way and I'll hunt mine.

As to the true spirit of hunting, wasn't it subsistence? How far do we go back? Deadfalls? Spears? Herding deer off a cliff? I think we are far beyond that. So who gets to say we should pick an era ("traditional" muzzleloading) and have a season from that era?

What is primitive? Are we going to say match lock? Flintlock? Side hammer/cap? Round ball and shirt tail patch? TRUE black powder, none of this Pyrodex, Triple7, Blackhorn black-powder-wanna-be crap?

Do I need to wear buckskin I tanned with the brains of the deer I got the skin from?

Ok, I'm getting silly here........ You get my point. Who determines the rules and why should that particular person or group have that right?

Just because my ML might be capable of 200 yards shots does not mean I will be taking them. I really try to set up for high percentage close shots. I take pride in knowing the game, their travel patterns, their feed sources. That's no different from the forefather's. Our forefathers were using the most sophisticated weapon at their disposal. If we took a time machine back with a new modern in-line, do you think they would refuse to use it because it was "too accurate"?

Even "modern" ML's might misfire.

Is my use of a modern ML detracting from the enjoyment of your hunt? I don't see how that is possible since I'm hunting my own property.

What is the role of hunting season? Game management or recreation? Little of both? Closing down a season to primitive means only would probably reduce the harvest, something the DNR will not entertain today.

Enough random thoughts for now.

Randy

My thoughts...

I would lean pretty strongly towards Bowmaker's point of view on this one. (Dsiclaimer - I too have shot plenty of deer with my MK85, some even in that early ML season.)

I don't begrudge anyone hunting legally by whatever method trips their trigger, there I go with another pun :), BUT in this case the early ML season was created pretty much for the real traditional ML's. Therefore, I would favor a return to that style for the early season.

But that being said, I don't feel so strongly that I am likely to mount an effort to change it. I don't think the early ML's are killing all the deer(bucks) or anything like that, but I do realize that what started as a special season for old timer smokepoles changed pretty drastically as the technology improved.

Those are just my thoughts...

I would be all for keeping the early muzzleloader season a traditional season, then I wouldn't ever be tempted to hunt it :)

what about our bows should they make bow season so you can only use hand made arrowheads,bows & arrows like the native americans instead of compound bows,so more deer can be wounded & suffer longer before they die,or should we go back to where deer weren't even hunted at all.it is kind of like medicine & cures mostly technology is for the better not for the worse.

I love ML season. I bought a used muzz for 200 dollars and would be pissed if I had to go out and buy a more primtive gun. Someday I'd love to, I think it would be fun and a much needed change of pace, but don't change the season.

Just to extend things a little, JNRBRONC, I think technology is a good thing and am glad to hear that you enjoy shooting and experimenting with your rifle. I would ask, do you hunt the early season with it or just the late one? I didn't say that we should out law all the modern MLs or change any thing except the early ML season in October. I could see hunter recruitment going either way, but I tend to think it might actually increase because of the unique challenge that this would involve. For many reasons many of the buck skinner reenact-or events have done away with their primitive rifle shoots and many participants would love another way to enjoy their old guns. We have laws regulating every other fire arm involved in deer hunting, so why would this be any different? Shot guns are restricted as to gauge, barrel length, and what seasons they are legal, and the same goes for handguns and center fire rifles. So if we restricted MLs for that week period, to cap lock or flintlocks shooting patched round ball or conicals, with standard iron open sights why would that be a bad thing? Really how much different would that be than saying it would be ok to use single shot shotgun slug guns or single shot high power rifles during the late ML season? I KNOW THAT THOSE GUNS DON'T LOAD FROM THE MUZZLE, but that is really the only difference. As for who makes the rules, the IDNR makes the rules just like they did when they granted the first ML season back in 1986. I do think we would need to allow at least Pyrodex because it is almost impossible to buy Goex any more and even harder to have it shipped any where.

We all know that this early season falls much more under the category of recreation rather than conservation, other wise there would be way more than 7500 licenses available. With current success ratios hovering around 30 percent that only accounts for a little over 2000 deer harvested so there is very little conservation there. I feel safe in saying that even if restricted this way that all 7500 licensed would still sell out and the harvest ratio might actually go up because of the different hunting styles and practices. How many early ML hunters do you know who only hunt it because they think the have a chance at MR BIG before all those other hunters? How many do you know that dig out their ML the week before season, clean it from last year, fire two shots to check the scope, maybe swab it or maybe not, and are ready to go? Lots of these are the same ones who are poised on the Internet waiting until 12:01 the day the licenses go on sale to make sure they get their tag. Now if we restricted the season maybe some other or some new hunters could also get a tag and get the chance to see what it is really all about, and those hunters that I described could still get a license for the late ML season and hunt exactly the same way they do now, good or bad. I also pretty much feel like you hunt your way and I will hunt mine and don't think your hunting your way will hurt mine with one exception. Even if your are hunting your own ground or ground that you have permission to hunt, the fact is if you were not interested in hunting with primitive weapons then you getting a license might keep me from getting one of the 7500 allowed. I didn't state that very well, but I mean that if you only want to use your Savage and would only be able to hunt the late season then I would have a better chance of getting an early tag. If we took that time trip I really think that those old timers would much prefer an AR based rifle in 308 with a ballistic 50 ml night lite scope with at least 30 round clips to your modern Savage ML.

Dannyboy, the only way you would need to get a different gun would be if you choose to hunt the early instead of the late one and that would still be your choice. It is both fun and a definite change of pace.

Bradley, I really wasn't even thinking about bow seasons or anything about that equipment. I did make the choice many years ago to only use a hand made wooden bow and wooden arrows, both of which I make myself, because I enjoy that aspect of bow hunting. I have never nor will I advocate that every one follow my choices because I understand that my way is not your way( unless some day I can convince you). I will take exception to your comments about wounding and suffering more with primitive archery equipment. The deer reacts and dies exactly the same way when hit with one of my arrows or one of your high tech carbon shafts, and I will pretty much guaranty you that with in 20 yards, which I try to hold to, my equipment will kill 99 percent or more of any of the deer your equipment will kill.

I will put in the normal disclaimer that I don't mean to denigrate any one or their legal hunting choices. I am also not meaning to start a movement to actually change the early ML season, but I was curious how people would respond on a forum moderated by the famous Shovel Buck. I also believe that with our rapidly dropping deer population that there will be some season changes coming in the very near future and think that this might be one way to be proactive about changes.

Bowmaker,

I hunt the early ML season with landowner antlerless tags (and bow season and shotgun and late antlerless...). My LOT does not come off the early ML quota. For me, ML is another tool in herd management. If I could use a HP, I would. I had the local depredation officer out and he said you want to shoot "resident" does early in the season, as once shotgun season starts, you might be shooting does that have been pushed from miles away. If I was hunting purely for recreational purposes, I would be more likely to consider "primitive" equipment, but right now it is all about preventing crop damage. Maybe I'll get the local herd in line one of these days and be able to pick up a side lock or recurve.

Along similar lines, compare the shotgun of today with the shotgun used during the first shotgun season. Back then, most guys grabbed their pheasant gun, stuffed some slug rounds with foster style projectiles in them and headed for the field. Now, we have fully rifled barrels with cantilever mounted scopes shooting saboted bullets at +2000 fps. Whose crying foul here, though I guess there wasn't any "method of take" intent behind this season.

That said, it appears the original group that lobbied for the early season should have seen to it that wording was in place to protect the intent of a primitive season. It seems to me Tony Knight might be partially to blame here. He studied the regulations and then created a "better mousetrap". Thus, the DNR is shares blame here as well, as they could have wrote regulations to stop the "better mousetrap" from being allowed. But I'm guessing there is no going back. We can only learn from the past to prevent repeating it in the future.

Back in 1986, I heard there was going to be a ML season and I bought a ML before the regulations were released. When the regulations came out, I found out if I hunted that season, I wouldn't be able to hunt shotgun. I was bummed, as I wanted another opportunity to hunt deer. Then I heard the DNR was thinking about a pistol season, which I already had a pistol. Again, instead of it's own season, it was added as a legal weapon to an existing season. I heard that the DNR might allow HP rifles for late antlerless season, then I was disappointed that my county wasn't in "the zone". Any method I can hunt deer is welcomed by me! If they changed early season to primitive only, I'd probably find a way to hunt it.;)

JNRBRONC

Good rebuttal and I can't really contradict any of your points. I assumed that you were using land owner tags and because I have done that same thing for years I know that those aren't part of the quota. I was just trying to use it as an example if some one didn't own land. I don't doubt that you use the season for something other than pure recreation, but there many others who don't. Since you seem to have a history of just missing the ground floor on seasons and weapons, I have no doubt what so ever that if the season were changed, not only would you find a way to hunt it but you would be very successful also. Thanks for the conversation, maybe all of us at least gave some readers something to think about.

I was curious how people would respond on a forum moderated by the famous Shovel Buck.

Thanks, I think, but I'm just an old fart that was born 200 years too late.
And besides, I ain't alone in this forum. Don't forget, Blake takes equal blame.:D

Although I don't have a dog in this fight since I'm from Nebraska, some points are the same.
Our season was started with the same reasoning. IE.....a primitive weapon season. Unfortunately, for those that got the ball rolling, they couldn't predict the future to see what was just over the horizon. The few modern style muzzleloaders that were around were viewed as more of a curriousity than a threat. The same principal that applied to the Allen compounds in the early 1970's. Everyone, myself included, seen both these things as just a passing fad. Wow! were we wrong!
Back to the question......As for my home state, our season runs the entire month of November and the late season carries over to January 15th. I'd like nothing better than to see it be a primitive season only but realize it will never happen.
Only we, ourselves have the ability to make the hunt an enjoyable one. Do it as you wish and don't look down on those that do it differently, is the best advise I can give.

Great post ! Keep the discussion going!

I didn't realize it would be an early season. I'd still like to try it sometime, IF I ever get the nuts to go early.... Probably won't be anytime soon though!

I like the way it is now. I can use inline or pimitive and you can do the same. I don't think that the guy next door is going to mess up your hunt because he uses an inline instead of a primitive ml. Restricting it to primitive only cuts down on the amount of people that can enjoy the season.

Dominator, I don't think that the neighbor using an in-line will mess my hunting. I also don't think that by restricting that one season, cuts down on the amount of people who would enjoy it. Which ever style of weapons are legal the State will still all 7500 licenses for the early ML season so actually it might honestly increase the number of hunters enjoying ML hunting. If only primitive rifles were legal there would be 7500 primitive shooters enjoying that season and virtually all of the in-line shooters would still get licenses for the late ML season. Right now it is a little difficult to get a early tag before they are sold out because so many have taken up ML hunting because of the perception of the in-lines being easier and more accurate and they look at it as a chance to get a buck before things get crazy.

Right now it is a little difficult to get a early tag before they are sold out because so many have taken up ML hunting because of the perception of the in-lines being easier and more accurate and they look at it as a chance to get a buck before things get crazy.

That might be, I guess all the people I know usually take Late ML anyway. I think that if you are really concerned about going primitive you would just buy your tag early. If you are serious enough about hunting to invest the time and energy into a bigger challenge like this then you could invest a little time into planning on buying your tag early. It takes 5 minutes to buy your tags at www.iowadnr.com and they come in 3-5 days.

I would be in favor of adding a 1 or 2 week primitive only season, but not changing the current season.

Last edited:
I change my mind. I would love to hunt a traditional early muzz season, but only if it's with a custom made Shovelbuck Muzz :)

Maybe we could get a count of the type of rifles used by the early Muzzle loader hunters, and especially those who were successful. It might prove interesting! I did not hunt this season this year because of a planed trout fishing trip to Bennett Springs and I needed the chance to use the 2 weight rod that I built this spring. One of these days I might even try my hand at a bamboo rod, but that is for later.

Dannyboy, I am glad that you are reconsidering and it never hurts to have a really good reason to purchase another rifle, so put in your order and get the Mighty Shovelbuck busy.;)

Top Bottom