Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

How old is mature?

Greendeem

For those of you who practice and/or are educated in QDM, how old does a buck have to be to be considered mature?

Great question. Really depends upon the person or group doing the defining. Most groups I know of consider a buck mature only when he is at least 3 1/2 years old. I think an Iowa buck will usually grow in body and rack size at least until age 5 1/2 and probably older. A friend told me of a buck he took at 7 1/2. He'd put on 20 inches (based upon shed measurements) between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2.

We try to let them get at least 3 1/2 year's of growth,sometime's you really have to have alot of self restraint the way they grow in Iowa but it really pay's off later.

I have a question along these lines also. I had a discusion with some fellow hunters about basket rack six and eights. They were worried about the possibilities of bad genetics. I am convinced that with all the food here and the cover in this Iowa River Greenbelt area that these are just 1 1/2 to 2 year bucks. Teenagers ready to hit there prime. I think if we could get hunters to pass on these deer we would see more examples of the good genetics that are there.
I guess I'm wondering from someone else's experience or knowledge what kind of rack a 1 1/2 to 2 year old puts on or can put on?
Thanks hope I'm not to far off track of the origanal post.
Frank

vickie4life,

You're right, those are just 1.5 - 2.5 year old bucks you're speaking of.

In my opinion, the whole genetics thing regarding Iowa trophy buck production is over-rated. Genetics is hardly ever an issue with ANY Iowa buck. Give just about any Iowa buck at least 3.5 years and you can bet he'll have a pretty big rack. Age of bucks is, by far, the greatest limiting factor regarding trophy whitetail production in this state, in my opinion.

Good Hunting....Condor

Hey that typo is a hoot, vickie4life !! Sorry vike4life I coiuldn't resist.

Next year in Indiana we are going to a one buck limit. It is going to be evaluated after five years and then reconsidered. Do you think that this will affect the age structure and if so will it show much in five years?

I'm with Old Buck. I would say to have a mature buck, you have to be in the 4 1\2--6 1\2, neighborhood. Not saying that you can't see a big rack earlier than that, because you can. As far as genetics, you do see some pretty sorry basket racks, year after year. On my property I see baskets often, but anywhere close to the river it's been my experience to see a lot of them due to travel. If you are trying to get bigger bucks on your land, I would harvest a lot of does, and thin out the old basket bucks. If there real gray in the face, or have a big body, those are the guys to go after. Never take a button, or a spike. And let the bigger young bucks go, and you'll get your maturity level up.....

I would say to reach full maturity i would say 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 years before they start to go downhill as far as antler growth

For me, 3 1/2 is kind of in between. 4 1/2 will usually do it, I think, but it depends on the deer. The Hanson buck was only 3 1/2, and there's no saying wether he was maxed out or not. Needles to say, I'd have liked to see him after another year!

Greendeem, I think what your referring to by 'maturity' can be explained differently by different people, but I think your probably talking about a buck that has reached its max potential. There are so many factors outside of age, which really define the maturity level of a deer, that can play a big part in the size of rack.

I believe that you could take a deer with great genetics but lack of great nutritional foods and he could grow a very nice rack. I also believe that you could look at a deer with poor genetics but a great source of nutrition and also see a nice rack.

The real key here is letting the buck grow. When you are looking at deer that use the same food sources thats where your going to see genetics play a big part in antler growth or lack of.

It is important to be able to judge a deers age in the field. You cannot judge the deers age by the size of the rack. Someone else here wrote about body size and the 'sway in the back' or the color around the muzzle and eyes as a few key factors in judging age. I believe those are important traits to analyize when looking at a deer.

Some deer just aren't going to grow large racks. I don't care what they eat, or how many times you decide to pass them up. These are the deer, if you are managing your property, you should eliminate from the breeding pool.

Another point to factor is the does on the property. They play a bigger part in the genetic outcome of the bucks rack than the breeding bucks do. If you watch your doe herd year to year and you notice certain does not producing healthy fawns or not producing at all I would look at eliminating them from the herd as well.

I hope I didn't drag this out too long but it is an interesting topic and I'm sure you'll get many opinions so I thought I would throw mine in to.

Thanks...

In my opinion a buck is "mature" at 3 1/2 years. "Mature" to me does not always realate to his rack or body size. Not all bucks will have big racks or a big body weigth when the are "mature". I do think that older bucks (mature) are harder to hunt.

Greendeem,
Are you just looking for the age of a "mature" buck or some other traits of an older buck?

I think the overall consensus when it comes to hunting deer, is they are 'Mature enough'at 3 1/2 years old. Whether or not they are really 'Fully Mature'is a different story all together. It is correct that not all old deer look obviously old but their are characteristics that can be seen.

Top Bottom