Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunters View Treestands Unsafe?

Monsterbuck

I want to bring attention to anybody who has purchased or was thinking about purchasing a Hunter's View brand treestand. These stands are sold at Wal-mart and other discount stores.

The Packaging has the TMA (Treestand Manufacturers Associotion) Seal on it and the in -store signage claims they are TMA certified but a review of the TMA website shows that nearly all of their stand failed in testing for certification.

TMA Certification Status

I contacted the John Louk, executive director of the TMA. He confirmed that the status of the stands was "failed" but declined to elaborate stating "At the present time I am not at liberty to share any details of the matter. I can assure you that the TMA board is working with Hunter's View to resolve this matter as quickly as possible.

I would also share with you that the members of TMA are encouraged to participate in the certification process. The testing is done by 2 approved independent testing firms and once they have completed the process, TMA is notified of the certification for all products of the member that have met TMA standards. TMA does not certify the product, however the member is encouraged to use the TMA logo and certification status to market those products that have met TMA standards."

In my opinion it would be wise to avoid these stands that have failed to meet industry standards and the TMA refuses to comment on. A cheap stand is no bargain if it puts your life in danger.

Without commenting on the particular stand of-subject, I will say this much. TMA is the reason you aren't seeing any "featherlite" stands anymore. They require the manufactures to test the stands in multiple ways. The loads are determined by the rated capacity. This is why stands have been getting lower ratings (some as low as 250 lbs.), and the stand weights have also been going up to deal with this. This is a good thing as far as the safety of the consumer is concerned!

What percentage of hunters weigh more than 250lbs that climb trees and desire a small featherlite stand? Sucks when someone else is deciding what your best intrests are. I love the ultra light stands and have noticed that not many are being produced any longer.
grin.gif

I for one will admit that I weigh in at 260 and by the time I get cloths, boots, gear, and just "stuff" up the tree with me you can add at least another 25lbs. I don't know about the desire for an ultralite stand but I'm not crazy about lugging arround a huge stand. There are also things like metal stress from the cold and people standing on the very edge of the stand to get a shot arround a tree that can create a problem. I'm not crazy about a lot of government controls in our daily lives but I like the idea that some one is at least testing tree stands in ways that we might not think of, but that could happen to any of us. If something were to happen with a stand that you choose because it was light weight and failed because it was light weight every one here, or their surviving family, would sue the MFG for selling an unsafe product. No one really likes Government telling us what to buy or what to do, but when something bad happens like the hurracane who is the first one expected to bail us out with aid and rescue? The Government! And then is critized, and rightly so, for being to slow to react. If these stands are truly unsafe then the safty issues should be made public, and not hidden in negotions with the MFG while unsafe products continue to be sold.

JFYI

I purchased a Hunters View climber at Wal Mart last season. I only spent $100 on a climber as I was not sure I would like using one. When I removed the stand out of the box I was shocked at the "quality" of the welds. Holes, and unfinished beads in the welds and my 210 lbs climbing a tree dont make a good combination. I ground out the bad welds and rewelded it professionally.

I called the sporting goods manager at wal mart I bought it from. He was going to take all the in stock stands out and check them. Then he was going to call the company to let them know the welder that day must have been visually impared. I email the company to get a simply, "thank you for your concern" reply.

I felt all of these actions were the proper things to do as it was a safety issue for someone else. Not everyone has an eye for a crummy weld. I wont call the stands junk, as I really like mine now, just had to make it hold!!!

Get what you pay for!!!!

The TMA is not the Government. It's a group that represents the mfg's of treestands. I doubt there primary concern is my safety. Thats the face put on it of course. They don't want a bad rap industry wide for some company making an unsafe product. They also don't want a company making stands that are too cheap! If a hand full of companies control the TMA and produce $200 stands on average and Hunter's View produces $60 stands and uses Wal-Mart's huge marketing power I'm sure the others are taking not of the volume being sold! I doubt that the issue is solely safety.
I'm sure Lexus thinks Hyundi's are junk also.

I want to be safe but I'm with DOR. I should have picked up some of those 9 lbs aluminum stands a few years ago.

I had two Hunter's View fixed stands and they were junk compared to API and the Non-Typicals I own. In fact, I had to call the company and have them send me new support cables because the ones that came on the stand were not crimped properly. After two seasons I trashed them.

Top Bottom